LGP Introduces Linux Game Copy Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by miles View Post
    Frontier Elite 2 First Encounters - Dabid Braben has already put the game as a free download, and the engine has already been worked on by by other parties. Publishing a Linux version with updated graphics (any resolution, Open GL 2.0 with anti-aliasing, textures and mip-mapping would not just be worth some good money, it would also attract a hudge user base to Linux gaming. Actually any Elite game with updated graphics would be mythical and warrant articles on most (if not all) PC gaming sites and magazine. And it wouldn't even be that difficult - re-use any open source iD Software engine, for example, provided it's recent. Of course, you'll have to provide your own IP (textures, remade videos or animations, new models...), but you'll find many people interested, even for free. And please don't tell me David Braben would be against it.
    I seriously doubt he'd be against it. If he wasn't busy with other things, I'd half expect the man to join in and help...

It's on the prospect list for things- make sure that one gets over in the other thread, would you, so we don't lose track of all of it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      I seriously doubt he'd be against it. If he wasn't busy with other things, I'd half expect the man to join in and help...

It's on the prospect list for things- make sure that one gets over in the other thread, would you, so we don't lose track of all of it?
      Is it this thread : Put the wish list for porting projects HERE... ?

Comment

That's the one

Comment

• Now.. I'm pretty confused about what to do. We're told to vote with our wallets (eg. not buy games that include DRM we don't want to support). Yet publishers continually point out declining sales as a piracy problem/harbinger of death for PC gaming.

For example, we have Crysis.. an okay game, with very high system requirements. Because of the high requirements and nothing-special gameplay, not many people got it. However, the developers/publisher site low sales as a piracy problem and will no longer be PC exclusive.

On the other hand, we have Oblivion. No copy-protection and no DRM (aside from a simple CD check), but a very fun game without over-the-top hardware requirements. It was a top seller. Morrowind (its previous-generation predacessor) was similar.

And we're left with a connundrum. Do we speak with our wallets and not buy games that have DRM, effectively putting LGP and other similar smallish publishers out of business (and perpetuate the notion that there's no money to be made in Linux gaming), or do we find some way to actively fight back against DRM, showing developers/publishers we really do want to buy their (good) games as long as they don't treat us like criminals?

Also, I'm curious if LGP will be doing this copy protection for all games, or only the games they have to, to get the deal to port it?

As well, I'm a bit concerned with how it'll work in the future. For instance, we're told: "If LGP dies, the last thing I will do, and all of my [development team] are authorized to do the same if for some reason I am unable, will be the creation of patches to remove the key system."

Now, I have no idea how big LGP is. But they've been in bussiness for several years already. So, let's assume for the sake of argument, they publish 100 to 200 games or more before tanking. Can we reasonably assume they're going to go and patch every single one of those games to remove the copy protection/DRM, for no money, after the've officially gone defunct? Patches which, for all intents and purposes, have been available since soon after the game's release in the form of cracks? Personally, I won't be holding my breath.

As for games I'd like to see ported, the big one for me would be Oblivion. With the ability to use mods retained, though I wouldn't expect that to be an issue. This would hinge on whether the port, like the original, was all-but DRM-free.

Comment

• Linux Game Publishing has released some information @ http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com/p.../200806241.txt
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Both ETQW and Savage 2 implement online authentication.

Does nobody here really who's complaining against this change play either of those games, which have quite a percentage of linux gamers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                Both ETQW and Savage 2 implement online authentication.

Does nobody here really who's complaining against this change play either of those games, which have quite a percentage of linux gamers?
                I don't. At all. I tried ETQW's demo as a bench, nothing else. As for Savage 2, I never heard of it before this thread, and I'm not interested. Just not the games I play, which make it sad because it's like Linux gamers only know FPS and RPG (presuming Savage 2 fits into one of these 2 categories).

Most games I play are always one or two years old when I start playing them, which ensures I never have to care for any DRM. Just waiting for the PS3 to really drop in price, because I miss games like Burnout and Gran Turismo. And I'm quite happy the PS3 has strong DRM, it makes for an environment without piracy, (and none of its games require calling home every now and then).

I'm not saying I'd never buy a LGP game if it has DRM. I can understand their reasons, but I know that by still buying it I'll just be helping LGP shoot themselves in the foot.
                Last edited by miles; 24 June 2008, 09:15 PM.

Comment

I don't. At all. I tried ETQW's demo as a bench, nothing else. As for Savage 2, I never heard of it before this thread, and I'm not interested. Just not the games I play, which make it sad because it's like Linux gamers only know FPS and RPG (presuming Savage 2 fits into one of these 2 categories).
                  Savage is an intresting game to has the least it is a cross between an RTS, FPS and action RPG.

Anyway linux games have plenty of FPS games but very few RPG/RTS games. That can be expected though as FPS games should be easier to make then RPG/RTS and more people enjoy them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Linux Game Publishing has released some information @ http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com/p.../200806241.txt
                    Okay...folks, this is not any real difference than Steam, QW:ET, Savage, Penny Arcade Adventures.

While I don't like that LGP HAD to resort to this, it's better than NADA and like I said, it's more because people really didn't play by the rules and we had to show the big players (whom insist upon this stuff...) that we had something- like I've said earlier.

@redeemman: To save you and everyone else a lot of time with intial responses on this- I *KNOW* you don't agree with any of this. Sorry, pick the timing of your fights. DRM can't be fought at the same time that you're trying to get Linux gaming going (which would help the positioning of the first fight)- fighting both fights may make you feel good, but losing both battles wins you nothing save feeling good about yourself. You will find that I do not disagree about or with either of your positions in the slightest- or that one should forget about the DRM fight. But with things the way they are right now, you will simply lose both fights for just the sake of "fighting the good fight".

Comment

• Well, games released for linux are the work of the different companies that make them, as a choice. LGP is just one outlet, and it can go the same way as Loki did. I dont think it should be a rule, much like in the case of games released on windows, which as many have pointed out, some have DRM, some dont.

btw, there are more than FPS and RPG games on linux, Dominions 4 will be released for linux too, and it's a turn based strategy game.

Comment

Working...
                      X