• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Any other suggested titles?
    That's like opening the flood gates.

anyway..
    Originally posted by Licaon
    i feel (and i'm sorry that i feel like this) that the game itself will hurt sales, yet i would buy Fallout1-2/BaldursGate1-2/VampireBloodlines/Diablo1-2/DeusEx/Morrowind/Gothic1-2-3/TheWitcher
    Kotor1-2, Thief1-2-3
    Originally posted by Aradreth
    Planescape & beyond good and evil
    you could add system of shock 2 and a couple other old games that never get old. :P

(Yeah I know most those titles would be impossible to get the rights for but it's fun to dream. ;p)

Comment

• Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
      That's like opening the flood gates.
      At least it's better than having the bitching we've been seeing in the thread.

I would rather work at something that MIGHT just be slightly more constructive (even if it accomplishes little more than the very negative goings on before this change...) than what was passing for conversation in this thread.

We probably OUGHT to move this particular discussion to it's own thread.

Comment

Dare I say,

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER!!!!!

Seriously, Svartalf have you guys tried approaching the development houses in the real early stages of a games development BEFORE they have signed any deals with the larger publishers? I would suspect that it might be easier to acquire rights for a linux port before any big deal is finalized with the bigger mainstream publishers. Plus it might add a bit of influence to what API's are used in it's development of the final product.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          DUKE NUKEM FOREVER!!!!!
          Ha! they'll be at it for years with that one.

Seriously, Svartalf have you guys tried approaching the development houses in the real early stages of a games development BEFORE they have signed any deals with the larger publishers? I would suspect that it might be easier to acquire rights for a linux port before any big deal is finalized with the bigger mainstream publishers. Plus it might add a bit of influence to what API's are used in it's development of the final product.
          Honestly I would be very surprised if they haven't tried that yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Dare I say,

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER!!!!!

I've tried that in the past. Most of the indies have stars in their eyes and sign up for deals that preclude not dealing with the publisher on a porting deal. Icculus and TTimo got a decent sized chunk of that market locked down for themselves- which is why you have a goodly portion of the commercial games you do have in hand right now.

In the end, it takes a good position, either as an independent porter, or as a publisher/studio, to get in those sorts of deals. LGP was working to that position with the current crop of titles, if you want to know the truth of it- but it takes time.

As for DNF... Since they're local, I've been trying to see what I could do to arrange a meeting- but my time is finite, I need to get some of the crap off my plate before stepping up to that plate. (And, yes, they DO seem to be moving towards actually finally finishing the thing... >:-D)
            Last edited by Svartalf; 24 June 2008, 02:46 PM.

Comment

As for DNF... Since they're local, I've been trying to see what I could do to arrange a meeting- but my time is finite, I need to get some of the crap off my plate before stepping up to that plate. (And, yes, they DO seem to be moving towards actually finally finishing the thing... >:-D)
              So I've heard, maybe when its around that time, if we're lucky, that Steam client will come out to help matters. Because obviously the more native stuff we get upon free will of the company behind it, that definitely helps matters.

Comment

(And, yes, they DO seem to be moving towards actually finally finishing the thing... >:-D)
                I'll believe it when see it.

Comment

Stating from the ones that should be not too hard hard :

Frontier Elite 2 First Encounters - Dabid Braben has already put the game as a free download, and the engine has already been worked on by by other parties. Publishing a Linux version with updated graphics (any resolution, Open GL 2.0 with anti-aliasing, textures and mip-mapping would not just be worth some good money, it would also attract a hudge user base to Linux gaming. Actually any Elite game with updated graphics would be mythical and warrant articles on most (if not all) PC gaming sites and magazine. And it wouldn't even be that difficult - re-use any open source iD Software engine, for example, provided it's recent. Of course, you'll have to provide your own IP (textures, remade videos or animations, new models...), but you'll find many people interested, even for free. And please don't tell me David Braben would be against it.

A tad harder :

Any of the indie car races games. GTR2 and others. The genre is sorely lacking in Linux, except for Trackmania, and I don't care you have to use wine for it, since they're both indie AND far nicer than others (them and the GTR2 guys and Stardock guys have a far better dealing with gamers than LGP has, and I don't want it to sound harsh - they're companies that you'd buy games you wouldn't play just because they're so good for gamers, and LGP would do great to learn from them).

Hard, but who knows :

A Wing Commander pack (all episodes, one reworked 3D engine, no need to redo the videos. I'd have put old Star Wars games (X-Wings and such) but you might have far more difficulties with Lucas Arts - except that if you know somebody that knows Georges Lucas or any other nice guy working there, that could suddenly become really easy (they could even get the code back and re-sell revamped versions for any of the online shops for PS3 wii and all)

Even harder, but a hudge potential :

Civilization IV. The game is so huge and online, would last hundred of hours and sell like hot cakes in Linux. But it's true there's not much chances for this one.

Sins of a Solar Empire. You've approached them in the past, but how long ago? Linux has a far better penetration now it's sold by OEM, and after all they're the one that advertise on their site that they're indie developers, only a handful programmers and as many artists. They can't really say that, then claim the huge amount of money you've estimating, or they'd just look like a bunch of hypocrites. And they'd never ask you to put DRM (still can't believe Egosoft asked LGP to put a DRM that wouldn't be removed after one year or so).

Oh, and did I mention Frontier Elite 2 First Encounters?

Out of these games, the first seems downright doable (still can't believe SoaSE isn't possible), and it's also the one that would have the highest impact on the market (not including revamped Wing Commander and Star Wars games since they'd be harder to negociate and to port). You'll have people installing Linux just to play it.

However, seeing the kind of games you're trying to approach editors, I've got little hopes - apparently the genres I'm talking about aren't your cup of tea
                  Last edited by miles; 24 June 2008, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• Actually any Elite game with updated graphics would be mythical and warrant articles
                    I was wary of saying mentioning any elite clone earlier but it would get my attention, great and timeless game, enhanced with openGL 2 graphics too it would get a huge amount of attention. Definitely a chance to keep elite's classic status for another generation.
                    GTR2 is a great choice, huge modding community and the company behind it seems eager to please their customers.
                    Sins of a Solar Empire. Another great choice. I would happily pay in advance for any/all of the games on this list (and Grand Prix Legends) so long as a delivery date was fixed and stuck to.
                    cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by miles View Post
                      However, seeing the kind of games you're trying to approach editors, I've got little hopes - apparently the genres I'm talking about aren't your cup of tea
                      This isn't LGP you're talking to right at the moment. I'm speaking for myself right at the moment. You'd be surprised. As for your items, there's another thread with the wish list items- care to put your items over in that thread?

While I'm not going to say that there's any prospects for this, you might as well participate as well and perhaps we can end up changing the rules a bit.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X