Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacred: Gold Enters Beta On Linux

Phoronix: Sacred: Gold Enters Beta On Linux

In addition to game updates for Savage 2 and Sauerbraten last week, also released was the first beta of Sacred: Gold for Linux. However, unlike the other games, Sacred: Gold is limited to the beta testers within Linux Game Publishing's closed program. Though as we are part of this testing team, we have screenshots and more details on this game being ported to Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does multiplayer(hosting a game for example) works with a multicore cpu ?

Comment

I was interested untill I read that part about copy protection Hopefully they design something that won't be an inconvenience to their customers.

I've been spoiled so far with Linux gaming by not having to deal with DRM. Now it seems like the Windows world's infection is spreading

Comment

Regrding X3 its a rather complicated game and probbly not an easy game to port. Copy Protection? I hope it doesnt inconvenience the ppl who purchase the game. It's probably a really bad idea. Copy protection is completely useless for popular games.I dounno if any release group would even bother cracking a LGP release though.

Comment

More on the copy protection will be published tomorrow...
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
            Regrding X3 its a rather complicated game and probbly not an easy game to port. Copy Protection? I hope it doesnt inconvenience the ppl who purchase the game. It's probably a really bad idea. Copy protection is completely useless for popular games.I dounno if any release group would even bother cracking a LGP release though.
            That's probably exactly why it's such a good idea. If no release group will bother to crack it, then you can't pirate it and you'd have to buy the game. I would say this might be a result of people not respecting the license, and treating the software like it's free software. After all, everything in the Linux-world is free as in 'no charge' It's a pity really, as this is exactly what I would guess would be the response from game developing companies. They do after all want to protect their million dollar investment, and I can't say I blame them.

That been said, I too hope it's not an inconvenience for the paying customers. After all, we do know which copy protection X3 came with on Windows, and I hate to see something similar in Linux.

Comment

Considering that the latest patch disables copy protection, I find it odd that LGP will be using any for this title.

Comment

Err... 40 bucks? The windows version here in Russia costs about 12$ (no, it's not pirated), but I guess prices for software are always lower here. Will there be any way to buy a windows version, then install it on linux with a patch or something?

Comment

Is this really going to fly? I mean, with Wine 1.0 out, what's the point of having this game ported and sold for a premium price? Is anybody going to buy it for 40$ just to have it running natively instead of buying it for 1$ (Sacred) or 12$ (Sacred:Gold) and run it under Wine? I haven't yet tested Sacred under Wine, but I've just finished Disciples 2 and it worked fine. Arcanum also works fine. Beyond Divinity and Lionheart have drawing issues, but in time they will too, hopefully. I bet people will first try these vintage games under Wine and if they work, they will spend the cash on something else.

Comment

Originally posted by VisezTrance View Post
                    Considering that the latest patch disables copy protection, I find it odd that LGP will be using any for this title.

Maybe they are considering distributing it via Steam?????

Comment

Working...
                    X