Sacred: Gold Enters Beta On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    Fine. Just be informed of what has been said already. Me, I'll just stay away from the forums for a while. These threads are starting to get annoying.
    You can't let things like this get on your nerves if it aggravates you it is best to just avoid the thread/posts for better or worse. I do find though that blowing someone head of in ET:QW or Nexuiz helps to reduce the annoyance!

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      Uh... The customer is largely right (there are exceptions to "The customer is always right"...if you've never encountered them, you're lucky and blessed beyond words...)- the problem isn't that you're not right, it's that what you're talking about is about three times more difficult than you think. The games industry doesn't work in a common sense type fashion- and you're trying to apply common sense.

If I had a say in matters (I don't- I'm not the publisher...) I'd DO what you suggest if the rights holders would let me. I suspect LGP is in the same boat as I would be, though. Keep that in mind...

It's not that I or LGP can't stand positive criticism- your idea is bang up and what I'd try to do myself. But...the industry does NOT work the way you think it does. It's not as simple as saying, "well, let's just offer it up for download." I've tried to tell you this, and there seems to be some disconnect between what I think I'm telling you and what you appear to be reading. Moreover, if you're remarking on today's stuff- what I'm talking about ISN'T constructive in the slightest. It's more bickering about things- some cases of bickering about things that some people ought to have known better about.
      Well you're right, I don't have an idea about the game porting industry (how should I?), but I do have an idea about purchasing games, especially linux games, also I do see the other part of the so called industry and that are all those independent game studios and a few bigger one out there. S2 Games, Introversion Software, Hothead, Frictional Games, ID, etc. they all seem to make it right. I purchased games from almost all of em for an appropriate price, so someone like me just have to guess that LGP doesn't make there homework.

Now you told me that the whole linux game porting industry is simply fakked up and no one can do anything about it, least of all the customers.
      Well, I get it, but now that I'm aware of that fakked up porting industry, I'm not sure if I really want to invest my money into a moribund industry.

Good luck, though.

Comment

Originally posted by M1AU View Post
        S2 Games, Introversion Software, Hothead, Frictional Games, ID, etc. they all seem to make it right. I purchased games from almost all of em for an appropriate price, so someone like me just have to guess that LGP doesn't make there homework.
        Considering that you're naming off direct rights holders- the people who own the rights and self-publish, or have enough pull to do whatever they damn well please outside of the contract for the Windows/MacOS versions, it's a simpler thing to for them "get it right". Moreover, they've chosen to DO it right- they're the EXCEPTIONS to the rule, not the norm.

I provide this statement as an insight into things in this space. If all the studios worth messing with would do this on their own, I could provide hired gun services and the situation with LGP would be more like a real publisher- where they're handling the QA, front-line support, etc. for the titles, and not doing the porting stage for themselves. This would end up being the vision you're describing- and it'd be a nirvana to me.

Now you told me that the whole linux game porting industry is simply fakked up and no one can do anything about it, least of all the customers.
        Well, I get it, but now that I'm aware of that fakked up porting industry, I'm not sure if I really want to invest my money into a moribund industry.
        Actually, the whole fakking game industry's largely fubared if you want the truth of the matter. It's not the porting side that's just fakked up as you put it. Doesn't matter if it's Linux or MacOS on the porting side (but the MacOS community haven't been going on about "Old titles" and whatnot for the longest time...wonder why...)- and the only worthwhile companies producing stuff seem to mostly be the ones on your list...go figure...

It's a short term problem, mind, with the problem with the Linux Game Porting space of the whole Game Industry. Each title leads to a slightly better one in most cases- a bigger and better deal as you're "trusted" with a bigger piece. It all breaks down when nobody's interested in the second tier stuff and insist upon AAA and A titles out of the gate for everything (Understandable, really...) and don't get that you have to get the B titles first and show they'll sell before you get the bigger toys.

Comment

When am I to expect this on the torrent trackers?

Comment

Protection key system test when LinuxGamePublishing is offline.

To all those who wanted to know whether the key system for LinuxGamePublishing would still allow game play if the central servers went down, I can give you an answer from the beta testers.

Yes - you can continue to play on games using this key system if the central key management server is down. The ISP for LinuxGamePublishing recently jacked their rates by a factor of three, prompting a server move. Joy-of-joys British Telecom has dropped the ball and LGP is currently left with a SITREP cover page only. Which is a perfect opportunity to test the key system without the key manager being around.

Cheers,
            Toby Haynes

Comment

I should also add that this Sacred port kicks serious a***. I don't think I've been so addicted since I finally deleted Sangband off my systems because of lost time.

Looking at Sacred 2 on the Ascaron web site, I think I might buy several copies of this to encourage a port of the sequel :-)

Cheers,
              Toby Haynes

Comment

Originally posted by Nexus6 View Post
                To all those who wanted to know whether the key system for LinuxGamePublishing would still allow game play if the central servers went down, I can give you an answer from the beta testers.

Yes - you can continue to play on games using this key system if the central key management server is down. The ISP for LinuxGamePublishing recently jacked their rates by a factor of three, prompting a server move. Joy-of-joys British Telecom has dropped the ball and LGP is currently left with a SITREP cover page only. Which is a perfect opportunity to test the key system without the key manager being around.

Cheers,
                Toby Haynes
                Thanks for letting us know about that.

Comment

Any news on the game? I've been playing this on Windows and really liked - I just gave it up because it became too time-consuming...

And another question regarding the multiplayer part: what about that? Is LGP providing the game servers or will we be playing on the already existing ones? I would solely buy this game to play it online yet I've read that Ascaron(?) is going to pull the plug on their main game server (the closed-net one, that is) in about two weeks...

It's in German - the essence is that no Closed-Net gaming will be possible afterwards, only Open-Net, which means the characters will be stored locally and be open to manipulation.

Will LGP set up a Closed-Net infrastructure?

Comment

Originally posted by charon View Post
                    Any news on the game? I've been playing this on Windows and really liked - I just gave it up because it became too time-consuming...
                    Time-consuming - that's a good description of this game. My evenings disappear alarmingly quickly when the beta is active! The beta is still going on - we were expecting another round at the weekend but it hasn't appeared yet.

Originally posted by charon View Post
                    And another question regarding the multiplayer part: what about that? Is LGP providing the game servers or will we be playing on the already existing ones?
                    I'm assuming that multiplayer will be handled by LGP's PenguinPlay system. Beyond that, I don't know what plans they have for servers.

Cheers,
                    Toby Haynes

Comment

Working...
                    X