X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1AU
    replied
    Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    (Keeping in mind, I'm not speaking for LGP here, only myself...)

You DO realize they have DRM in it, don't you? If your hardware profile changes, it seems to detect it
    (it said I wasn't properly registered right on the change from a PIV to a Core Duo with the only thing
    being the motherboard and CPU changing..) and that it needed to re-authenticate. It did so quickly, but
    I don't know if they check this via online or not. But, boys and girls, that IS DRM.

This is not to tell you this to keep you from doing this. By all means, if you want to buy it, do so.
    But, if you do choose that, what makes this any different than what LGP has done?
    Pfrrtt, I don't care that much. Anyways for that price and quality it was of course worth playing, at least that DRM thingy doesn't want me to be online to play it, even when I bought it online.

Well, we'll see how LGPs online DRM stuff turns out when it's out. If it's really that bad compared to a simple CD-Key authentication or something similar, I don't need to buy there games, if it's not, we'll see

Leave a comment:

• stan.distortion
    replied
    Does anyone know off the top of their heads if either the 'intel' or 'i810' modules can support shaders? As to the DRM, there is a 20 page long thread to bash this one out in but as far as the postal demo is concerned it is unobtrusive, not sure if the full game will run without an internet connection to verify the password though, I'll have to wait for the end of the month to give that one a try
    EDIT: Answered by next poster, full game runs without a connection. Neither the 'intel' or 'i810' xorg drivers seem to have shader support, the demo complains about it and wont start. I'm being over optimistic even trying it on this hardware anyway, was looking for an accurate 'minimum requirements' but the graphics detail is well above the abilities of this chip.
    Last edited by stan.distortion; 26 June 2008, 07:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Aradreth
    replied
    The DRM is REALLY easy to get around it. I know I did. (change of hardware and a couple days without net on that PC...)

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by stan.distortion View Post
    Ah s**t, that ruins everything. But at $20 for such a well made game why would anyone bother copying it
    Didn't want you buying without making that informed decision.

Just keep in mind, though, without them selling enough, though, they may have poor sales figures which will make getting games on Linux that much harder. Again, I don't want to dissuade people- I want them making informed decisions on this stuff.

As for anyone copying it... If the LGP games are such crap, why are they being copied, hm? Why does anyone copy anything in the first place? Ah, but that's off topic... All I will say right now on the matter so I don't pollute the thread. It IS a great game and we shouldn't detract from the discussion on it's subject with this stuff.

Leave a comment:

• stan.distortion
    replied
    Ah s**t, that ruins everything. But at $20 for such a well made game why would anyone bother copying it

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by stan.distortion View Post
    Definitely getting this, really well made and very funny Had to copy 2 supplied libs into /usr/lib and run ldconfig as root but that's probably just my system. Ran perfectly on a dual core 2160 and 8600GT. DL'ing it again to give it a try on a PIII 1ghz laptop with i810 graphics. For 13 euro it's faultless.
    (Keeping in mind, I'm not speaking for LGP here, only myself...)

You DO realize they have DRM in it, don't you? If your hardware profile changes, it seems to detect it
    (it said I wasn't properly registered right on the change from a PIV to a Core Duo with the only thing
    being the motherboard and CPU changing..) and that it needed to re-authenticate. It did so quickly, but
    I don't know if they check this via online or not. But, boys and girls, that IS DRM.

This is not to tell you this to keep you from doing this. By all means, if you want to buy it, do so.
    But, if you do choose that, what makes this any different than what LGP has done?
    Last edited by Svartalf; 26 June 2008, 06:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stan.distortion
    replied
    Definitely getting this, really well made and very funny Had to copy 2 supplied libs into /usr/lib and run ldconfig as root but that's probably just my system. Ran perfectly on a dual core 2160 and 8600GT. DL'ing it again to give it a try on a PIII 1ghz laptop with i810 graphics. For 13 euro it's faultless.

Leave a comment:

• M1AU
    replied
    I just finished the game and need to say it's absolutely awesome!

I of course will buy the next episode.

Leave a comment:

• ivanovic
    replied
    Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
    * It is too short. Took me 7h to get through, not too much. But if you compare it with the price, it was really worth the 13.10? I paid.
    Since a friend misunderstood me, too, here a little more clearer version:

"It is too short" is meant as in "Hey, I want more of this stuff, why was it over this fast?!?". I really enjoyed the game and am looking forward to Episode 2.

Leave a comment:

• Aradreth
    replied
    Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
    Okay, now that I have played through the game and almost seen everything (I only lack two of the images and thus the "extra comic"), here is a (very short) comprehension:
    I just finished it but was missing 3 images and two spare parts (I couldn't for the life of me find them, oh well)
    It took me about 7 hours to get through completely and to see almost everything.
    Took about 6 or 7 hours here which isn't bad considering the length of games released theses days tend to be 10-15 hours but cost 3 times as much.
    * Combats are something like "semi turnbased" comparable to what you got eg in Final Fantasy VII and VIII. The problem with this is, that it sometimes gets rather hectical and it is really problematic to use the items in a perfect fashion.
    I did find it became quite hectic as well with the blocking+using items+attacking although it only really showed on the final encounter.
    * The game is completely linear. Where you think you got some choice of what to do, about two minutes later you realize that you have to take the other way...
    Adventure games tend to be quite linear, but yeah I would have liked a bit of choice...
    * Most dialogs are "read only". Only the narrator has voice over.
    I saw that as a plus as I don't think they would have been able to find anyone that could voice act Tycho and Gabe in a way that would please all the fans.

So in short: if you like the humor of penny arcade (really great comics!)
    They really did capture the spirit of the comic in the game which is awesome.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X