Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nexuiz 2.4.2 Open-Source FPS Released

Phoronix: Nexuiz 2.4.2 Open-Source FPS Released

For those interested in some weekend gaming, Nexuiz 2.4.2 has been released. This open-source first person shooter now has an "onslaught" game-mode (with an ons-reborn map being added), brand new announcement sounds/voices, fixes for several bugs, new crylink primary attack mode, new server tools, and uint16 element array support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When PTS would use it then it would directly work for Debian etch users compared to 2.4 which was compiled with a newer glibc.

Comment

Onslaught, like ut2004 onslaught? Deathmatch doesn't really do it for me so will get me to try nexiuz out again. Though, without vehicles, it probably still won't compare to ut2004.

Comment

Originally posted by etymxris View Post
        Onslaught, like ut2004 onslaught? Deathmatch doesn't really do it for me so will get me to try nexiuz out again. Though, without vehicles, it probably still won't compare to ut2004.
        Yeah the onslaught in Nexuiz is just like UT 2004 onslaught. Although I'm not too hot on the one map that onslaught came with in this update but it is a starting point. I'm sure in the next major update for Nexuiz we'll see alot more out of the new gametype.

By the way for anyone thats interested, I just tossed up a Nexuiz server today its ip is 209.144.27.130 or if you just look for it in the server list its called Malikith's Funhouse, theres no bots on it. Its on a dedicated server that I share with a friend in Dallas, TX.

I can't believe it already has 5 people playing on it at this moment haha. At least its being put to use.
        Last edited by Malikith; 12 May 2008, 12:08 AM.

Comment

to me nexuiz has really other problems than having too less gametypes;
          the graphics are just a pile of bad looking effects, due to not having a graphics artist and the gameplay is just crap: the movement does not feel right and the balancing is not that great either...

Comment

to me nexuiz has really other problems than having too less gametypes;
            the graphics are just a pile of bad looking effects, due to not having a graphics artist and the gameplay is just crap: the movement does not feel right and the balancing is not that great either...
            At least for the graphics part, this is just plain wrong.
            It's true that you won't get any good gaming experience when you try to play with an ATI 8600, however, any commercial game won't do better than nexuiz there. Just raise the effects to something like "high" or "ultra" and you'll see that nexuiz' graphics are amazing.

Comment

While I obviously won't call our graphics "crap" I also wouldn't claim that commercial games don't do better. Things *could* look a lot better with professional attention.

As for movement and balancing: That's mostly a matter of preference ("does not feel right" stresses the subjective dimension). While many people like it (just ask... uh... Nexuiz gamers) some don't - and that's why it's so super-awesome to also have Warsow, AlienArena, World of Padman, Tremulous, OpenArena... they may not be exactly *my* cup of tea but they of course are carrying their own values. People should just relax and get rid of their urge to nag on other people's preferred games.
              Last edited by SavageX; 12 May 2008, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
                At least for the graphics part, this is just plain wrong.
                It's true that you won't get any good gaming experience when you try to play with an ATI 8600, however, any commercial game won't do better than nexuiz there. Just raise the effects to something like "high" or "ultra" and you'll see that nexuiz' graphics are amazing.
                the _effects_ are the same as in commercial games @ultra, although Id say that commercial games perform better at same effect level, but what I mean are the models and the textures - they all look quite thrown together and do not harmonize with each other.

Comment

I would think that textures and models are the most time consuming aspects in a game, while effects themselves are relatively easy to include in a game. The developers for the most part just go with what's on hand (as far as models/textures) and make small adjustments if they can. Remember that this is an old engine that's being worked on which still has its limitations, regardless of how much they optimize it. For a free game, I still think Nexuiz is one of the best looking.

Comment

I played it a bit last night. I think the biggest problem is that the colors were muddled on the maps I played. It was a bit difficult to tell what the heck was going on. The player models should contrast nicely with the background.

I was disappointed though that I couldn't find a single onslaught server.

Comment

Working...
                    X