Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aleluia!!!!

Comment

@Michael: so, predicting more nVidia F/OSS driver efforts any time soon? (now that the Valve games are coming)

Comment

Well whatever this article is, I'll say this:

I think if they did this, I'd seriously consider buying their stuff. That may sound pathetic, but there's no way in heck I'm buying a game that at any given point in the future may or may not work properly in WINE. In fact, if all a company makes is stuff for Windows, I'm not going to ever buy anything from them at all, ever.

I'll bet we can get frame rates that totally crush Vista if we get native ports of all the steam and source games.
        ..until we do, I'll still have my nexuiz, warsow, urbanterror, tremulous, openarena, alienarena, apricot, and so on and so forth.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Spain View Post
          It seems that life as a Linux user is getting better and better by leaps and bounds these days. I just hope that Valve will decide to port their already released games as that should be a relatively trivial matter after the engine is ported
          I'd say that's a no brainer, it would give them the opportunity to charge yet again for a product that most of us already own (bargain price if you will... But, money nonetheless), actually I've been amazed how Valve has been able to sell over and over again Half-Life 2 with both the Episodes they released, they know their marketing (and they do have a solid product too)

Comment

I though the point of steam was to transfer purchased games between machines-- so it should be able to transfer between operating systems also. -Do you know how easy that would make it for steam gamers to switch OS'es? It could be the best gaming related thing ever to happen to us.

No one is going to throw away all the games they've already bought.

Comment

Wow- this would be really awesome. Guess I'll need a new laptop to play them since my Intel graphics card won't cut it.

There's finally more people who would like to take my money for games.

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
                I though the point of steam was to transfer purchased games between machines-- so it should be able to transfer between operating systems also. -Do you know how easy that would make it for steam gamers to switch OS'es? It could be the best gaming related thing ever to happen to us.

I know Steam offers some flexibility in that regard (I'm not all too familiar with that as I keep away from it), I know that it allows you to also transfer games from one person to another, etc.

Comment

@Phoronix: Yep, you were on track about the ATI move, so I'm trusting this one.

I do hope they'll get about the problem of the multitude of distributions and the "loud minority" issue though OK...

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post

Just having Steam on an OS doesn't port the actual games to the OS. Steam essentially provides three things: copy protection, a game launcher, and a platform to sell and distribute software. Your licenses may transfer but if there's no native ports for the games, they don't do you much good. That said its only gonna be easy for gamers to switch if there's a lot of porting going on (not just steam itself).

I hope it all happens, but I'm not holding my breath... lernted my lesson with UT3. I would be dead if I was still holding my breath for that. I'll just have to live with the briadnamage already done.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                      Just having Steam on an OS doesn't port the actual games to the OS.
                      I think the point was less about porting and more about licensing...that is, even if, say, Egosoft ports X3 to Linux, I'm not going to buy it because I already have a Windows copy. But if Source (and, presumably, Steam) gets ported to Linux, I presumably won't have to buy a new Orange Box license--Steam would (again, presumably) just download the appropriate software for my OS for my games if it is availible.

And I really hope this comes to fruition...I'd love to have TF2 for Linux!

Comment

Working...
                      X