Valve's Source Engine Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
    I wouldn't have thought that a pre-complied codec that ships with the game would be the most likely thing to break when upgrading.
    Well aren't we all using an ESDaRTsOSSAlsaNasJackPulseAudio sound system these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
      Well aren't we all using an ESDaRTsOSSAlsaNasJackPulseAudio sound system these days?
      Sound systems are not codecs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
        Sending the sound data after it's been decoded is done by the game engine I believe, I could be wrong I've never looked into it.

Comment

Gah! I hate it when news sites report opinion/editorial stories as fact. News Flash! Aliens have landed! ...Well, actually, we were just twisting your nuts, but now that we've got your attention, here's why we think aliens might be landing in your back yard in the very near, and/or possibly distant future of a parallel universe near you!

I swear, the first paragraph of one of Phoronix's editorials, followed by the subsequent letdown, will some day be the end of me.

The NVidia driver will cause your machine to spontaneously explode! ...Well, actually, it's just a beta driver, and there's just this one minor bug that annoys us.
          Last edited by immudium; 07 May 2008, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Well, I see your point. Source maybe being worked on to be available in Linux, all the rest about Steam, and other Source games may very well be pure projection of our desires.

Comment

What the chips! What sort of crap are you pushing here?

Slashdot covered your "privileged information" almost EIGHT months ago.

As already said: if you're that desperate for visits, then don't get a reputation for bullshit.

I'm usually quite grateful for the news posted here, but I might feel the need to question it a little further from now-on. Congratulations

Comment

Originally posted by tomm3h View Post
                What the chips! What sort of crap are you pushing here?

Slashdot covered your "privileged information" almost EIGHT months ago.

As already said: if you're that desperate for visits, then don't get a reputation for bullshit.

I'm usually quite grateful for the news posted here, but I might feel the need to question it a little further from now-on. Congratulations
                Ummm did you RTFA? The information we have isn't that simple job posting...
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I wonder if all of Ryan's recent porting jobs are going to debut on steam? His last 3 ports to linux have yet to see the light of day, UT3, Prey, and Serious Sam 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Ummm did you RTFA? The information we have isn't that simple job posting...
                    I did actually. I saw one speculative remark, based (from what we can tell in TFA) solely upon the aforementioned eight-month-old information.

That was the first paragraph.

The following five paragraphs contained wonderful information about Steam, but do not in any way explain the sensationalist topic.

The seventh paragraph reported (48-hour-old) news that Postal 3 would be ported to Linux, whilst the eighth could simply be paraphrased as "we've predicted this already, so you should listen to what we say, k?"

So Postal 3's based upon Source, and it's coming to Linux? They couldn't just be doing a Blizzard and simply decide to work in-part with the Cedega/Wine teams, right? Or, could they have switched engines? More to the point, if this is the wonderful news you're bringing to us - why the wording in the following sentence?

Originally posted by TFA
                    While not as black-and-white as our privileged information, it was confirmed this week that Postal III-- a third-person shooter being developed by Running With Scissors Inc -- would be supported on Linux (as well as on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, and Mac) and it uses Valve's Source Engine.
                    If there's something you can't tell us, don't write an article with a sensationalist headline in order to dance around the topic with a view to hits and headlines.

So yes, I did RTFA. Three times now.

Comment

It seems that life as a Linux user is getting better and better by leaps and bounds these days. I just hope that Valve will decide to port their already released games as that should be a relatively trivial matter after the engine is ported

Comment

Working...
                      X