No announcement yet.

Valve's Source Engine Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it was EA not Valve that ported the source games to PS3. They (Gabe?) have been quite hostile to the PS3 and doesn't really see it as their job to port it IIRC.

Comment

• I thought EA was the "console" publisher only, but then again, EA owns a fair share of Studios that could have done the porting.

Comment

• Are you sure about the GL Renderer? AFAIK few developer use OpenGL on the PS3..

Comment

• So how does Orange Box being ported in a hostile fashion to PS3 in any way invalidate or overturn Gabe Newell's xenophobia? Are you suggesting HE made the suggestion??

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonix View Post
            Are you sure about the GL Renderer? AFAIK few developer use OpenGL on the PS3..
            Are you suggesting that they built the whole Source Engine for the PS3 (Cell/RSX) completely in ASM? As plausible that might be, I seriously doubt it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forge View Post
              So how does Orange Box being ported in a hostile fashion to PS3 in any way invalidate or overturn Gabe Newell's xenophobia? Are you suggesting HE made the suggestion??
              Even at a very high level within Valve, he might have been all against the PS3 from his personal point of view, but we can only imagine what actually happened if a group of people in the Valve board agreed to the port on a business basis... One rather interesting thing to note is that (at least here in Mexico) the Orange Box for PS3 is selling quite well (and still at a premium price, the PS3 version is about 20 bucks more expensive than the 360 version).

Comment

• From wikipedia :
                Gabe has openly expressed his displeasure over developing his software for gaming consoles,(more commonly) the PlayStation 3. In regards to the PS3, Newell was once quoted as claiming that developing processes for the console in general is "a waste of everybody's time and "a disaster on many levels ... I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a do over. Just say, 'This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it"
                Man, this guy has some serious hate for anything that's not Windows :/ Which is stupid IMO, as he should look at things like that from a business POV only.

Comment

• Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
                  From wikipedia :

Man, this guy has some serious hate for anything that's not Windows :/ Which is stupid IMO, as he should look at things like that from a business POV only.
                  I hate to say it but it seems to have worked for them so far.. I really hope gabes opinion changes (or has changed if the rumors of the source engine coming to linux is true)

Comment

• Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                    Are you suggesting that they built the whole Source Engine for the PS3 (Cell/RSX) completely in ASM? As plausible that might be, I seriously doubt it.
                    -.-

No, at least for the PS2 im 100% sure, that the OpenGL ES interface is just a wrapper for the nativ API (which is, according to some guys at gamedev.net, ... very D3D like).
                    I think, for the PS3 it's the same.
                    Last edited by Dragonix; 22 November 2008, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
                      From wikipedia :

Which shows why Windows ( drugs ) are bad for you children

Comment

Working...
                      X