No announcement yet.

Valve's Source Engine Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The question is - will owners of half life 2 have to re-buy it just to get the linux executables?

I'm hoping I can just fire up steam for linux and since I already own hl2, it just installs and plays..

Comment

Originally posted by user5124 View Post
      The question is - will owners of half life 2 have to re-buy it just to get the linux executables?

I'm hoping I can just fire up steam for linux and since I already own hl2, it just installs and plays..

If it was per-title, than that would suck. If it was a one-time account-wide fee to recoup some of their development/porting costs, I think I'd pay even that.

Comment

It's Valve. They won't make you buy your gamas again.

Comment

On the argument for/against DRM Brett Thomas over at Bit-tech posted a good article [1].

...(looking at you, Starfarce!!)...
          The gaming industry as a whole, with a couple of exceptions, has stopped using starforce and learned that that copy protection as low level as that isn't a smart move.

[1]
          http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2008...ndary/comments

Comment

I've got Trackmania United: Forever for my birthday today, and one of the features of the Forever Addon is that StarForce was completely removed so there is no copy protection anymore. That is great. ET: QW and HL2 etc. don't have copy protections, too. I mean come on, some companies (EA Games *cough*) pay thousands of dollars for copy protections and they'll get cracked by some release groups in a minute or two.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              I've got Trackmania United: Forever for my birthday today, and one of the features of the Forever Addon is that StarForce was completely removed so there is no copy protection anymore. That is great. ET: QW and HL2 etc. don't have copy protections, too. I mean come on, some companies (EA Games *cough*) pay thousands of dollars for copy protections and they'll get cracked by some release groups in a minute or two.
              HL2 is copy protected, what do you think steam does?

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                HL2 is copy protected, what do you think steam does?
                COPY protection means I can't copy the disc & I need a (original) disc to play the game. Both are not true for HL2.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  COPY protection means I can't copy the disc & I need a (original) disc to play the game. Both are not true for HL2.
                  You're absolutely right, I was thinking of DRM when I wrote it.

Comment

So...how long do you think it will take. Middle of this year, or sometime next year?

Comment

Originally posted by Moustacha View Post
                      So...how long do you think it will take. Middle of this year, or sometime next year?
                      After the UT3 farce, I don't think anybody is willing to venture a guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X