Valve's Source Engine Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
    DirectX. Gold Source had an OpenGL renderer but as far as I know Source is DirectX exclusive. Now it is possible to rip that out but doing so usually takes a large chunk of meat with it :P
    I don't think that DX is a dependency, cause the Source Engine is highly modular. So it wouldn't be that hard like the dependency in Steam with the IE crap stuff.

Comment

• So, does it run any better in Wine now? At the very least, I hope that is improved.

Comment

DirectX. Gold Source had an OpenGL renderer but as far as I know Source is DirectX exclusive. Now it is possible to rip that out but doing so usually takes a large chunk of meat with it :P
        It's already been done. DirectX doesn't live on PS3, and I distinctly remember getting to play Portal for the first time ever in the last year- and it wasn't on a Windows machine... And D3D doesn't always take hunks with it- I have done several ports that way already- and it's rarely as bad as you're making it out to be...

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          It's already been done. DirectX doesn't live on PS3, and I distinctly remember getting to play Portal for the first time ever in the last year- and it wasn't on a Windows machine... And D3D doesn't always take hunks with it- I have done several ports that way already- and it's rarely as bad as you're making it out to be...
          + Postal 3 is supposed to be coming to Linux and uses Source.

Comment

• @Svartalf:
            I guess this depends if you "want to". But that's the point where I don't see it with them. They never really liked Linux at all so I'm not that positive on their will to get it done. I'm sure you could pull that off :P

Comment

@Svartalf:
              I guess this depends if you "want to". But that's the point where I don't see it with them. They never really liked Linux at all so I'm not that positive on their will to get it done. I'm sure you could pull that off :P
              Heh... Since they're not tied to DirectX in the slightest with Source (couldn't be if you're on the PS3 with Orange Box...which is what I was trying to say there... ) then it's more a matter of them wanting it or one or more of their licensees wanting it as to whether or not Source will run on Linux- there's really nothing keeping them from doing it other than business/personal decisions at this point for Linux or MacOS.

Considering that at least one of their licensees has indicated that they're releasing for Linux and hasn't changed that tune to date, the odds are decent that we'll at least see ONE source based title.

As for me pulling that off, I might try... But the plate's full right at the moment, so it'd have to wait a small amount.

Comment

• Originally posted by ad_267 View Post
                + Postal 3 is supposed to be coming to Linux and uses Source.
                I do believe that I've mentioned this on several occasions in several threads...

It's not a foregone conclusion (see UT3...sigh...) but they'd be saying there were issues if it wasn't mostly there for them.

Comment

• I think it would be more important if steam was released for linux rather than the source engine (though naturally both would be nice).

Comment

• It's official. Steam, the Source engine and its games are coming on Mac OS X very soon.

Let's see if they have plans for Linux, but things are looking better now after the requirement work for Mac is done

Comment

• Official? Do you have a link to the announcement? I don't see anything at http://store.steampowered.com/news/.

Comment

Working...
                      X