Valve's Source Engine Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
    How so? Steam is written around IE (meaning it's tightly integrated). I doubt this ever comes to Linux unless they totally rip IE/Windows-Only stuff out.
    thats HISTORY !!!
    They use webkit for rendering now !

Comment

• Phoronix, 05-07-2008:

Phoronix: Valve's Source Engine Coming To Linux

... at Phoronix we have received information confirming that Valve is indeed porting its very popular Source engine to the Linux platform.
      It's 2010. Where is it?

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        It's 2010. Where is it?
        Probably still in progress...so far, RWS hasn't corrected anyone (and believe me when I say they would most definitely tell you NO if it wasn't coming for us...) on the eventual availability of Postal 3 for Linux or MacOS and they're purportedly working on the final stuff for it for release in this half of the year. Now, while I'm not saying that it's the cat's meow, there's little reason for them to not come clean on things since they're using Source for this version of their infamous franchise games.

Comment

How so? Steam is written around IE (meaning it's tightly integrated). I doubt this ever comes to Linux unless they totally rip IE/Windows-Only stuff out.
          Yeah, like christian_frank said, the new client did exactly that: ripping out the Windows-Only stuff.

Comment

• Which one? I don't remember one which did not require IE to run (well visible under wine if you remove IE and company).

Comment

Which one? I don't remember one which did not require IE to run (well visible under wine if you remove IE and company).

Comment

• Originally posted by christian_frank View Post
                thats HISTORY !!!
                They use webkit for rendering now !
                BITCHIN!
                That's a huge step forward for Steam and it seems more likely than ever that we will have Steam and the Source engine on Linux for better or worse (mostly better I hope).

Comment

• Steam maybe (in this case) but not Source. The two are different beasts and have different dependencies.

Comment

Steam maybe (in this case) but not Source. The two are different beasts and have different dependencies.
                    True, but this is still a step toward severing their dependence on M$ which could mean they are branching out to other OS's. Do you know of any dependencies Source has that are only available on Windows?

Comment

• Originally posted by Max Spain View Post
                      True, but this is still a step toward severing their dependence on M$ which could mean they are branching out to other OS's. Do you know of any dependencies Source has that are only available on Windows?
                      DirectX. Gold Source had an OpenGL renderer but as far as I know Source is DirectX exclusive. Now it is possible to rip that out but doing so usually takes a large chunk of meat with it :P

Comment

Working...
                      X