Valve's Source Engine Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Heh... Either that or it's just Masochism. (Both?? )

I never got into it thinking I would make more than a smattering of cash for the first titles. Right now, I view it as getting to see a segment of the industry I'd have never seen up-close otherwise, a chance to see code I'd otherwise NEVER get to see, and possibly a chance to fix the game situation on Linux.
    So youre saying that you could've gotten into let's say the "mainstream" industry, like working for Bungie trying to feed microsoft deadlines on Halo 4 , but you chose this specific area of the industry instead? Youre my hero.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
      So youre saying that you could've gotten into let's say the "mainstream" industry, like working for Bungie trying to feed microsoft deadlines on Halo 4 , but you chose this specific area of the industry instead? Youre my hero.
      Heh... You've little idea how many players have contacted me over the last four years on doing their server side dev work.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Admit it, you got into it to meet women.
        Heh... That's what people tell me about my RenFair habit.

I guess I've been going about both things wrong then... >:-D

Comment

• Just wondering, are there any updates on this? I really hope this is for real, just the Source-engine games on Linux would be enough for me :P (LEFT4DEAD!)

Comment

• No, and to be completely blunt I doubt there ever will be. I love Linux, I love Steam, but the two will never meet without some Wine between them. Gabe Newell has a pathological hatred of Linux that borders on xenophobia. It seems to be standard issue on most die-hard ex-MS employees, I think it's something in the water there.

So as things are, Gabe hates Linux. Gabe hates OSX. Gabe hates everything.

So either Gabe would need a lobotomy or a replacement before we see Linux Steam.

This is all just IMO, I wish I'm wrong.

Comment

• Somebody convert Gabe, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forge View Post
                No, and to be completely blunt I doubt there ever will be. I love Linux, I love Steam, but the two will never meet without some Wine between them. Gabe Newell has a pathological hatred of Linux that borders on xenophobia. It seems to be standard issue on most die-hard ex-MS employees, I think it's something in the water there.

So as things are, Gabe hates Linux. Gabe hates OSX. Gabe hates everything.
                Given your remarks, please explain the Orange Box being on something OTHER than a Windows machine or a 360...

Comment

Given your remarks, please explain the Orange Box being on something OTHER than a Windows machine or a 360...
                  Err... And with overall better graphics than DX9c... No, really! Some light shader effects in DX9c+ mode are simply too ridiculous, like a toilet or basin having reflexions in otherwise complete darkness (only light source being blocked by a wall, and only dim aura is visible) or guns in twilight conditions being a dance of little bright spots. Some times the shader effects in the game feel a bit "overdone". The GL renderer in the PS3, though... is (IMVHO) more realistic, while keeping many of the "extra" shader effects that DX9c mode in Windows offers, and in some places even smoother looking ones (kind of hard to describe, but I have been recently playing the Orange Box (HL2) both on Windows and the PS3, and have past pretty much the very same areas playing yesterday and today; I still hate playing on the PS3 with the gamepad, though ).

Oh, I'd love to see Valve and other Source games ported to Linux, and if Steam is ported... Total sweetness (I'm totally hooked, I took my time to get around the idea of Steam in the first place, but I've recently installed it, and got some pretty good games)
                  Last edited by Thetargos; 21 November 2008, 01:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                    Err... And with overall better graphics than DX9c...
                    I do believe that was the point...

Comment

I do believe that was the point...
                      Oohh... So we know how robust the GL renderer is, now "where's my Linux port?"

Comment

Working...
                      X