No announcement yet.

Valve's Source Engine Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I find it disappointing that so many players in the computer industry are putting the interests of 3rd parties ahead of the interests of their customers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Max Spain View Post
      I find it disappointing that so many players in the computer industry are putting the interests of 3rd parties ahead of the interests of their customers.
      It's been a trend... Now that I think of it, it has been like that for almost 10 years now.

Comment

• Think of it as a any other industry, like the car industry, etc. Special interests are always going to be a priority. The idea of the caring developers making games because they love games and want to share their creations with other players is a myth. Is long gone, probably somewhere around 1994.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
          Think of it as a any other industry, like the car industry, etc. Special interests are always going to be a priority. The idea of the caring developers making games because they love games and want to share their creations with other players is a myth. Is long gone, probably somewhere around 1994.
          Not quite the myth you'd think. Heh... I make substantively more cash doing embedded Linux consulting for people like my current client Tektronix than I do porting games- but I do it all the same...

Studios may care. Developers may care.

PUBLISHERS don't give a damn in most cases.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Not quite the myth you'd think. Heh... I make substantively more cash doing embedded Linux consulting for people like my current client Tektronix than I do porting games- but I do it all the same...

Studios may care. Developers may care.

Exactly, and without publishers studios and developers go nowhere. :P

Btw, are you an open source consultant then? Tell me more about it, I want to hear from people making a living with FOSS, since all i hear in college classes is ramblings on how if you dont seek employment at microsoft after leaving college, you're just kidding around.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
              The idea of the caring developers making games because they love games and want to share their creations with other players is a myth. Is long gone, probably somewhere around 1994.
              There are game developers out there that want to share there gifts with gamers but they tend to be indie developers. It's not all that suprising though because as the amount of money in an industry increase people begin to want to work there not because they enjoy it but because the pay is good.

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              It's always the bureaucrats isn't it?

Comment

• /me likes rumours

Originally posted by Doug Lombardi
                We've got some new stuff for Steam as well that we're gonna be announcing at the end of May.
                Get video game news, reviews, and videos for thousands of PC, console, and mobile games at Shacknews.

Comment

• Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  :O There's only a week left of may, so hopefully we hear something soon!

Comment

• Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    That's a misquote or mistranslation. The new stuff before the end of May is the on-Steam saved game and settings backup that they announced today, called Cloud. He wasn't speaking about Linux Steam. I still have yet to hear anything definite from anyone with authority that such a thing even exists.

P.S. That's odd, your midquote that I was replying to disappears when I hit reply. Repasted:

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Doug Lombardi
                    We've got some new stuff for Steam as well that we're gonna be announcing at the end of May.

Comment

• VBulletin doesn't allow for nested quotes in messages, or at least has them deactivated for the forums (by default) unlike PMs. That's why the original quote disappeared.

Comment

Working...
                      X