No announcement yet.

Valve's Source Engine Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep, I don't know about other countries, but the news has spread extremely well here in Germany, on small and big sites.

Comment

• Well, this thread on the steampowered forums has been active for a while and hasn't been deleted, so I would consider that confirmation enough Now all we have to do is wait...

Comment

• Why should a thread be deleted even if it was false information? It is not Epic

Comment

• Hehe, steampowered mods previously threatened to delete posts and ban posters that posted Linux stuff.

Comment

• Now we need official confirmation from Valve, but that will probably happen when they are readying for release, or Beta (if there's not already a closed Beta program going on... I know, wishful thinking)

Comment

• Well if you follow Ryan's twitter one commenter posted this to Ryan.

"@icculus Phoronix has an article up on rumors you're porting Valve's Source engine to Linux. You have my support if you're doing it. 08:56 AM May 11, 2008 from web in reply to icculus"

To which the reply was

"@strredwolf I read the Phoronix article. If I'd known that referring to Portal on my blog would get me the job, I'd have done it months ago! 09:15 PM May 11, 2008 from web in reply to strredwolf"

Comment

• How long can this thing take? And, why keep it under wraps like if it's some earth changing announcement. It's just a digital distribution drm platform running on linux.

Comment

• Maybe because it has DRM?

Seriously, I don't know. Wasn't Valve owned or had an agreement with Vivendi? IIRC, it was Vivendi who stopped Blizzard from having a Linux client for WoW.

Comment

• Valve used to have a deal with vivendi. vivendi would publish physical copies of the games, but that's no longer. Can't remember why but EA publishes for valve now.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                      How long can this thing take? And, why keep it under wraps like if it's some earth changing announcement. It's just a digital distribution drm platform running on linux.
                      Companies tend to keep things like this underwraps so that if they have to or want to change their plans their image doesn't get damaged. It's why id never say there is going to be a linux client for their games before hand and it's one of the reasons why Linux gamers aren't to pleased with Epic (the wall of silence just makes it far worse.)

Comment

Working...
                      X