Valve's Source Engine Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    I don't care how "cool" the game is. I'm one of their customers if I'm buying. You don't treat your customers like thieves for very long. Right now, gamers haven't twigged onto the fact that they're really customers, not consumers- and they're just accepting whatever swill they shovel into the feed troughs.
    I won't buy games with intrusive DRM such as the one being put on Spore etc. For one DRM like that has yet to hit linux games (thank god) so it currently even a choice.

Of late, it's also Bioware, which is a damned shame.
    So true Bioware use to be one of my favourite studio's now they've been bought by EA they are going down hill.

Originally posted by Thetargos
    And that is the main flaw of DRM. It takes away the rights from customers, and treats them as if they were the criminals. Meanwhile, pirates are just as happily putting out cracked copies (which might be crap), but at least ones that the users CAN use... Who's benefiting from DRM, then?
    That's the funny thing about DRM the only people it affects is the paying customers who need to put up with it. Crackers are always looking for a challenge and the fame and pirates just use the cracks which remove or disable DRM anyway.

Comment

PCGH: And what is your personal opinion about the topic? Is DX10 the way to go and therefore the way of future graphics.

Doug Lombardi: Well I mean there is always that tradeoff between taking the time to adopt the engine to a new API, right. And for us we feel like there still things in DX9 that we can achieve without having to go through the pains of moving to DX 10. (?)So for us as a company and our game designs, we've looked at the tradeoff of the work to move to DX 10 and we have always kind of felt that there is not really enough there for us to delay whatever game we are working on by six to eight month just to say we've a DX10 game. The other thing that is worth mentioning too is to run DX10 natively under the API you have to have both the card and vista. If you google to the Steam hardware survey where we poll peoples machines on Steam you can see that right now there is only about thirteen percent of those people that have both, the DX 10 card and Vista. So you have to look at that as well and say is it worth to investing for thirteen percent of the audience.
      Hmm. Can this also be applied to Linux? I mean, the guy says that for Valve it's simply not worth it to go DX10 because of the small user pool. I would imagine that the Linux user pool is even smaller (or slightly bigger maybe), so if this is their rational, why would they bother with a Linux client for Source?

Comment

Bioware had a poll once on what OS you used, and Linux came in pretty well in the polls. Guess what? No Linux ports since NWN.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
          Hmm. Can this also be applied to Linux? I mean, the guy says that for Valve it's simply not worth it to go DX10 because of the small user pool. I would imagine that the Linux user pool is even smaller (or slightly bigger maybe), so if this is their rational, why would they bother with a Linux client for Source?
          It's not just that DX10 has a smaller userbase- it's only available on Vista, it's not likely to be growing any time in the near future when compared to the prior DX7/8/9 eras, it's slower than Christmas on all but the highest end machines.

DX10's a disaster for most studios that've went that way.

On the other hand...

OpenGL 2.x gives most if not all of the stuff right out of the gate.
          OpenGL 2.x actually has a larger user base.
          OpenGL 2.x is close to one of the mainline API's for pretty much all the console space except Microsoft- done right, you don't do much of anything to get a Mac, Linux, and PS3 title out of your renderer and the rest.

What you want to do as a studio is eke out all you can out of your DX9c back end and make a OpenGL/GLES based back end. Hitching your wagon to Microsoft has had the expected effect on the gaming industry... They're just now getting that it wasn't all in their
          best interests to go along with them.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
            Bioware had a poll once on what OS you used, and Linux came in pretty well in the polls. Guess what? No Linux ports since NWN.
            I doubt this is Bioware's choice in the matter. We got NWN in spite of the publisher's wishes because it was mostly done by the time they got involved with it. Once you got Atari and Lucasarts involved, they had dramatically less say in their titles. EA being involved with some of them is going to make that even more the case. The only reason we got UT2k3/2k4 was that Epic pushed the issue as has Id. Bioware's big enough to be the same way,but I suspect their deals with the publishers aren't as nice n' cushy.

Comment

how come theres no other tech related site that has a story on valve porting steam to linux?

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                how come theres no other tech related site that has a story on valve porting steam to linux?
                I would say "linux" is out of their vocabulary. Most of the tech websites (that i frequent) are pretty windows lovin' because that's where the games are, IMO. Maybe when Valve officially announces the porting it'll appear on tech sites.

Comment

Uhm, sorry to tell you, but the news from phoronix appeared on *many* german speaking sites. Not only gaming related sites like gamestar.de and pcgameshardware.de but also on broader tech sites like eg golem.de. So the news *is* spread.

Comment

Originally posted by Moustacha View Post
                    I would say "linux" is out of their vocabulary. Most of the tech websites (that i frequent) are pretty windows lovin' because that's where the games are, IMO. Maybe when Valve officially announces the porting it'll appear on tech sites.
                    Most sites don't like to post articles on something like this without their own inside information, a large well respected site they can link to or an announcement.

Uhm, sorry to tell you, but the news from phoronix appeared on *many* german speaking sites. Not only gaming related sites like gamestar.de and pcgameshardware.de but also on broader tech sites like eg golem.de. So the news *is* spread.
                    You'll see it on more EU sites because linux has a larger percentage of the desktop market over here then the US. (although it's pretty poor in the UK)

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                      I've seen it on a couple of other sites too. However, they refer to Phoronix.

Comment

Working...
                      X