Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licaon
    replied
    @Michael: since Phoronix and LGP are so close, wouldn't a poll be useful to them? like the one Novell did a few years ago about "the most wanted Windows application missing in Linux" about AutoCAD/PhoteShop and etc BUT the poll will be about games, about what games do we (linux game buyers and players) want to be ported

Leave a comment:

• niniendowarrior
    replied
    Yup. That looks to be the threads. I'll try to find the posts that talk about that.

*Side comment*
    Pardon me Aradeth, but everytime I see your name, I always see it as Aribeth. *still recovering from Aribeth's betrayal*

EDIT:
    After plowing through 20+ pages of Svartalf vs Stanley Woo, I am starting to think, what I read was a NWN2 Linux request topic by a mod. After all, they did say not to post on their forums about it and to do it at Atari. Sorry for the misinformation, but it's still quite a good read.
    Last edited by niniendowarrior; 22 May 2008, 08:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Aradreth
    replied
    Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    Not readily. There's been like a good number of closed threads on that one on the Bioware forum due to excessive length.

Officially, that's Bioware's response. I think inside those Linux threads on Dragon Age, they say they aren't Anti-Linux. It's just not their call. Svartalf knows about it, I'd think... he was also there in the battles.

I don't have time to go grave digging on the Bioware forums though, my apologies. So I don't have a link to show you.
    I think these are the threads you mean.

Leave a comment:

• niniendowarrior
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Gotta link? The only thing I found there was Scott Meadows reply "We have not announced anything about system requirements yet. Stay Tuned." on the 27th of last month, when asked about a linux client. Of course, as usual, I'm not holding my breath.
    Not readily. There's been like a good number of closed threads on that one on the Bioware forum due to excessive length.

Officially, that's Bioware's response. I think inside those Linux threads on Dragon Age, they say they aren't Anti-Linux. It's just not their call. Svartalf knows about it, I'd think... he was also there in the battles.

I don't have time to go grave digging on the Bioware forums though, my apologies. So I don't have a link to show you.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    The huuuuge thread in the Bioware forum on Dragon Age for Linux is a good read. Developers can port on Linux. They can if they wanted to. They cannot because the publishers don't want them to.
    Gotta link? The only thing I found there was Scott Meadows reply "We have not announced anything about system requirements yet. Stay Tuned." on the 27th of last month, when asked about a linux client. Of course, as usual, I'm not holding my breath.

Leave a comment:

• niniendowarrior
    replied
    Originally posted by Licaon View Post
    that's a fair view, but that won't make Sacred or Sacred 2/3/4/etc a good/better game at least not in my view
    Nobody is saying you should say it's a great game. You views on it, is yours.

so what can we do? how can we make them "feel" that they lost a sale? (cause whining here posting more of these won't change nothing )
    In my opinion, this isn't very straightforward to answer, otherwise it would have been solved already. Svartalf's policy is that if there's no Linux version, he doesn't buy it, and I can see how that helps. I just think the after-effects are not felt.

yes, and is this better that playing it bad in WINE? How else if not buying the game can we make the publishers/devs understand that THERE IS a market in Linux gaming?

this was what i did, i bought the game, registered to their forum (where you can register your game and have a GAME OWNER tag, like on the BioWare forum AFAIK), and started posting about running it on Linux and stuff; it's not much but i feel it's better than some petition on some site, IMHO

having 10-20 users, registered on their forum, barring GAME OWNER tags, saying that it runs bad in WINE and a native version would be needed, would make a bigger impact, IMHO, than 1000 users that just signed that petition; 1000 promised sales equal 0$ for any dev
    The huuuuge thread in the Bioware forum on Dragon Age for Linux is a good read. Developers can port on Linux. They can if they wanted to. They cannot because the publishers don't want them to. I saw a lot of your Linux-related posts on the Witcher forum and I admire the effort you put into it. But, as far as letting them know there's a Linux market to cater, you are barking up on the wrong tree. It again, boils down to the publisher seeing it. The long petition thread on Atari on NWN 2 only got a Mac port, but it took them that long to even think about a Mac port.

Great then!!! hooray for him... which titles?
    You'd have to ask him, but I know his latest one on the plate is Bandits Phoronix Rising (Sorry, Michael, I just had to pull that one out again. )

ok i do understand, but game that won't sell that good because of their gameplay will not help get better titles, but create more problems regarding profitability

this is the chicken and egg issue: devs will port better titles if these not-so-better titles sell; users won't buy not-so-better titles; devs can't port better games so they go and port more not-so-better titles and hope that will port better titles if these not-so-better titles sell...and so on and so forth...

this makes me truly sad

the thing that leaves a bad taste in _my_ mouth is summarized in the second line af my first post:
    Welcome to the club. If the problem was easy to solve, it would have been done already.

Leave a comment:

• Aradreth
    replied
    I believe Svartalf helps out at LGP once in a while (or full time? I'm not quite sure) and sometimes gets in contact with developers to see if they will let there title be ported for a reasonable sum.

Edit: it's not full time, look at post 21 in this very thread. (knew I had seen it somewhere)
    Last edited by Aradreth; 21 May 2008, 07:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Licaon
    replied
    Sacred could be the first of many more titles being ported into Linux from that development studio. Instead of seeing it as an opportunity, people berate LGP for even bothering to get it. Let's not be so harsh on them.
    that's a fair view, but that won't make Sacred or Sacred 2/3/4/etc a good/better game at least not in my view

Do what you will with it, but the industry numbers going back to the big publishers do not change as long as everyone attempts to buy a Windows copy and tries to run it on Linux.
    so what can we do? how can we make them "feel" that they lost a sale? (cause whining here posting more of these won't change nothing )

It runs on Wine, enjoy it on Wine if you want. But when all is said and done, it's still a Windows tally going back. I was *this* close to succumbing to Witcher for Windows because I like what I see thus far. Knowing they shafted the Linux version leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    yes, and is this better that playing it bad in WINE? How else if not buying the game can we make the publishers/devs understand that THERE IS a market in Linux gaming?

this was what i did, i bought the game, registered to their forum (where you can register your game and have a GAME OWNER tag, like on the BioWare forum AFAIK), and started posting about running it on Linux and stuff; it's not much but i feel it's better than some petition on some site, IMHO

having 10-20 users, registered on their forum, barring GAME OWNER tags, saying that it runs bad in WINE and a native version would be needed, would make a bigger impact, IMHO, than 1000 users that just signed that petition; 1000 promised sales equal 0$ for any dev

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
    He has helped port titles to Linux? >.>

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
    I assumed that LGP were porting Sacred to build up Ascaron's confidences to let them touch more popular titles because from what I've seen porting companies tend to start small with each developer then work their way up to better titles as they prove that it's profitable.
    ok i do understand, but game that won't sell that good because of their gameplay will not help get better titles, but create more problems regarding profitability

this is the chicken and egg issue: devs will port better titles if these not-so-better titles sell; users won't buy not-so-better titles; devs can't port better games so they go and port more not-so-better titles and hope that will port better titles if these not-so-better titles sell...and so on and so forth...

this makes me truly sad

the thing that leaves a bad taste in _my_ mouth is summarized in the second line af my first post:
    too bad that the good intentions of linuxgamepublishing meet these bad game choices
    Last edited by Licaon; 21 May 2008, 07:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Aradreth
    replied
    what did you do about this or any other game that you wanted to play under your OS of choice?
    He has helped port titles to linux? >.>

I think Svartalf is responding in a general direction, not to a single response and I have the same sentiments. People whine here about it and in my opinion, that does no good at all. I also think that we do not know the big picture of what goes on behind the scenes. Sacred could be the first of many more titles being ported into Linux from that development studio. Instead of seeing it as an opportunity, people berate LGP for even bothering to get it. Let's not be so harsh on them.
    I assumed that LGP were porting Sacred to build up Ascaron's confidences to let them touch more popular titles because from what I've seen porting companies tend to start small with each developer then work their way up to better titles as they prove that it's profitable.

Leave a comment:

• niniendowarrior
    replied
    I think Svartalf is responding in a general direction, not to a single response and I have the same sentiments. People whine here about it and in my opinion, that does no good at all. I also think that we do not know the big picture of what goes on behind the scenes. Sacred could be the first of many more titles being ported into Linux from that development studio. Instead of seeing it as an opportunity, people berate LGP for even bothering to get it. Let's not be so harsh on them.

I see Svartalf's point on not being interested in Windows games as similar as if I own a PS3 and a Xbox 360 exclusive comes along the way, I don't care what it is. I'm not buying an Xbox 360 for it. You have the money to burn, go ahead.

I do suppose, at the end of the day, it's your money and your say. Do what you will with it, but the industry numbers going back to the big publishers do not change as long as everyone attempts to buy a Windows copy and tries to run it on Linux. It runs on Wine, enjoy it on Wine if you want. But when all is said and done, it's still a Windows tally going back. I was *this* close to succumbing to Witcher for Windows because I like what I see thus far. Knowing they shafted the Linux version leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X