Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am i the only one interested in mumble....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not care much for positional (voice) audio in games and that kind of stuff, I personally use TeamSpeak myself. Sure not as fancy, but it sure is EASY to setup

Edit
    By the way I did not have much trouble with setting up right Mumble, but I guess you can argue it can be difficult (i.e, no GUI config utility)
    Last edited by Thetargos; 26 March 2009, 02:10 AM.

Comment

I don't know how difficult Mumble is to set up since it is the geekest of our lot who owns the server and put all the pieces together. On the client side, with OpenArena, it simply rocks.

Comment

To configure Murmur (Mumble's server) you need to use some weird scripts to start a d-bus session and then issue d-bus commands to send d-bus messages. It's a mess. A simple config file would have sufficed.

Comment

Plus, for the last 3-4 versions, each version of mumble has started with crashing alsa for me. Half of the time I needed to upgrade my alsa libs (yet no other app had no issues with it), and the other half was the blame of mumble.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            To configure Murmur (Mumble's server) you need to use some weird scripts to start a d-bus session and then issue d-bus commands to send d-bus messages. It's a mess. A simple config file would have sufficed.
            No, you don't have to do all that, and a simple config file DOES suffice. I've been running my murmur server for games with my friends for over 6 months now and it's incredibly easy to set up. It's good to have a simple step-by-step guide for people just to run a server if some people don't know how anyway. Just run these in the command line, no need for root privileges (in fact you certainly should not run from root):

wget http://ovh.dl.sourceforge.net/source...1.1.8.tar.lzma //or closer mirror, find it on sourceforge page
            lzma -dv murmur-static_x86-1.1.8.tar.lzma
            tar -xvf murmur-static_x86-1.1.8.tar
            cd murmur-static_x86-1.1.8/
            vim murmur.ini //edit config file to your liking, I like vim but nano is easier if you're not familiar with it
            ./murmur.x86 -readsupw //enter admin password
            ./murmur.x86

You can now log in using nick SuperUser and your admin password to change settings, add channels and kick/ban people etc.

Comment

But how do I configure user accounts and admin accounts?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                But how do I configure user accounts and admin accounts?
                Just log in as SuperUser in Mumble, right-click root and edit ACL. You can add channels/assign admin accounts etc. It's just been a group of max 10 friends for me so I've never really needed to do too much except add members admin and add a few channels. But I've been able to do everything I've needed to from there. Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks, I'll give another try. Anything to retire the aging Ventrilo 2.1 :P

Comment

Is there a howto in getting mumble client to work with ventrilo?

Comment

Not sure I understand the question. Mumble is not Ventrilo... If you want to connect to a Ventrilo server using Mumble, that's not possible.

Comment

Working...
                      X