Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Games Does Suppress Linux Talk

Phoronix: Epic Games Does Suppress Linux Talk

Last week we shared the sad reality about Unreal Tournament 3 that it's been 5 months and there's still no Linux client. There's not even any sign that the game client will still be made available for Linux once their "legal" problems are resolved...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have been waiting for UT3 a long time and even though i am dual booting Ubuntu and Windows, i will not buy UT3 until they release a native linux client. If they fail to do so then i continue to be happy with ETQW

Comment

Originally posted by NilsHG View Post
      I have been waiting for UT3 a long time and even though i am dual booting Ubuntu and Windows, i will not buy UT3 until they release a native linux client. If they fail to do so then i continue to be happy with ETQW
      Exactly the same here : I didn't bought UT3 and wont buy it until there is a native linux client.
      ETQW is a nice game, even though I should prefer UT serie. Warsow and Nexuiz are worth a try.

However, even if I don't think linux customer have yet enough weight to counter-balance any profit and loss in Epic accounts, we have just to wait in the hope of something. I personally think they'll finally release it (I would also believe that the linux client is already finished), but they simply are very bad when it comes to communicate.

Comment

Story Dugg
        Last edited by Svartalf; 22 April 2008, 02:34 PM.

Comment

In all honesty, this one's gone just a bit far.

We need to handle this well- no badgering them. Just shine the light of the facts (including the details that they're deleting posts...) on them from off of the Internet. We need to make sure that the whole story shows in Slashdot, Digg (done...make it soar up, gang...), Boing-Boing (if possible...), Linux Games, and Linux Today.

You don't play these games. If you can't ship it, SAY SO. If you can, don't be doing this sort of crap.

Comment

I just submitted news on this to http://www.linux-gamers.net . I see this is going to get very interesting. I normally wouldn't agitate Epic or any other game development company about this sort of thing but its just the way they've done it thats wrong.

Comment

Perhaps sending the story to a few more mainstream tech sites will also get some needed exposure as well. Places like tomshardware, anandtech, the register, and maybe just maybe the inquirer could do something useful since this the kind of stories it likes to focus on.

Comment

NilsHG & Fixxer_Linux I'm in the same boat as you both with not buying the game until it makes its way to Linux.

At least Epic isn't like Valve.

Last edited by SlickMcRunfast; 22 April 2008, 05:22 PM.

Comment

I see wine threads pop up every now and then on the Valve TF2 forum. They've never been locked. If you call out moderators or start whining about no native linux client, it's easy to see why they would lock the thread. Not saying I'd run a forum that way, but it should shock no one that those threads are locked.

The unreal tournament issue is different. Valve has already stated that they have no plans to port any client games to linux. But epic has promised a linux client, which has been in limbo for five months. At this point, I'm not holding out hope for a linux client ever being released. However, epic at least owes us a statement to that effect.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Perhaps sending the story to a few more mainstream tech sites will also get some needed exposure as well. Places like tomshardware, anandtech, the register, and maybe just maybe the inquirer could do something useful since this the kind of stories it likes to focus on.
                    Go for it. This needs to be made a bit more public than they really wanted it to be after these two cute stunts of theirs.

Comment

Working...
                    X