Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sadly gaming on Linux is a vicious cycle. There are no games because IHVs claim a slim market -> New users end up dual-booting due to lack of games -> giving the impression of a slim market.

Plus there's the whole "Music-like" business model of the whole gaming industry (what the hell, the whole entertainment industry is managed the same) which leads to utter inflexibility from the actual content creators to deliver their content wherever they see fit. A few notable exceptions exist, but big as they may be, they don't seem to be influencing the big corporate publishers into exploring new markets or having their products available for proven potential markets (like MacOS X with its huge annual growth). I totally agree with Svartalf with regards to a necessity to reinvent the rules. Especially with the advent of the Internet and the publishing potential it has (just look at Valve and how well has Steam paid off to them). I also agree that it is with independent content producers that the most potential for this lies, and that maybe (just maybe) that could influence the big corps to turn their collective heads to Linux. Or as he says wait a few more years, 'cause if the trend is steady, Linux is going to be huge in less than 5 years.

The way I see it, the root of the problem (more than the actual number of users, and hence potential market) lies in the foundation of the business model. It sure as hell benefits big time the publishers, which in turn has enabled them to acquire content producers, aka studios. Guess who gets screwed with that model? Publishers are totally independent, as they don't have to wait for someone to want to publish something, they simply do it all in-house. But the system is such, that the associated costs for publishing make it almost impossible for small studios to it on their own... And the big studios are usually owned or associated with the big publishers... Another vicious cycle.

Comment

• i don't know why the game developers who make a ps3/mac version don't make a linux version... as long as they are using opengl, and libsdl they are ready to go.

Comment

• I see some of the budget re-releases here for Windows. The Heroes, Originals Editions are normally independent 3rd party companies that republish and repackage these older games. I'm not entirely sure how they operate, but they certainly do get some AAA games.

How different their model is to the Linux game porting business, I cannot say for sure, but I truly wonder how these guys manage to survive without a sound business case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dandel View Post
          i don't know why the game developers who make a ps3/mac version don't make a linux version... as long as they are using opengl, and libsdl they are ready to go.
          Because it's not their call? If the publisher is calling the shots, and depending on the terms they signed in their draconian contract some studios may or may not retain some rights to their products. Otherwise is all being decisions made by the publishers... Which is the pure evil of the current business model... And things are going to only get worse as the natural evolution would dictate that there will only remain a few publishers, owning 80%+ of the studios (sound familiar? Lemme give you a hint: music labels).

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            You know...nothing in what I said said this... What I told you was how unrealistic YOUR position in all of this was.
            So what do you suggest?
            D0pamine might of taken the extreme response with go back to window, but it would yield games

Its great what "Linux Game Publishing" (and if X3 ever gets released I shall be buying it!) but its not caused any major shift in gaming philosophy has it?

The only thing that has caused a major shift w.r.t. gaming on the PC is consoles (and also pirating... or pirating used as an excused by dev houses for poor sales of rubbish! take crysis...).

The games on the horizon that I am interested in are
            1) X3
            2) Rage
            3) The new Wolfenstein
            4) DawnOfWar2

ONLY one of these has confirmed linux client and that is X3. DawnOfWar2 definitly doesn't and the two iD titles only have WinPC,MAC,Consoles as confirmed platforms

its getting to the point that its feeling like iD are pulling out of
            the linux market

IF iD don't release linux clients for Rage and/or new Wolf it would be a MAJOR step back for gaming on linux and it will turn more people away and could even turn people back to windows...

Its a chicken and the Egg situation: People want to use linux, but the apps they want don't exist (majority of the time its games), but game publishers won't write/port games unless there is money in said market and said market need people

IF the rumours about STEAM coming to linux are true (esp with Postal3 confirmed having a linux client) THAT would do loads in starting dev-houses moving over.
            Also Ubuntu has done loads to help linux on the desktop (made it more user-friendly and making it a distro 3rd parties can target AS opose to 1million distros...).

Assuming iD do pull out of linux AND Valve don't release a linux client that would effectly killed off linux as a gaming OS (until console's kill off windows as a gaming OS...). IF that happens the number of people interested in gaming on linux will fall from very low to being lost in noise THUS "Linux Game Publishing" revenue stream will vanish

So what is "Linux Game Publishing" doing to secure future revenue? or is it only interested in the short term ??? it can get while gaming on linux is a budding seedling THAT can easily get stomped out

Take DoW2 (the game I am really stoked for!!!!) for that to come to Linux that would take alot since it is a DirectX. Even if you approached Relic when they were in Concept Design w.r.t. DoW2 it still wouldn't of happened since it is using the essense engine which already exists and is DirectX (thus still a major port).
            But what about the next engine? Catch the core engine of the game before it is tied to DX and a port of any future games is alot simplier.

Comment

• Originally posted by me262 View Post
              Linux gaming as I see it is an uphill battle, carrying camping equipment, in the snow, but at least we have snow boots.
              In that case... MUST. HIRE. NORWEGIANS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                Plus there's the whole "Music-like" business model of the whole gaming industry (what the hell, the whole entertainment industry is managed the same) which leads to utter inflexibility from the actual content creators to deliver their content wherever they see fit.
                Like marketing: "Why should it be just a grill? How about and underwater grill?"

Hahahah. Norwegians...

No doubt all of this mess is creating one inscalable wall for us.

Why don't they make a Linux version when there's PS3/Mac versions out? See sections on Wine, Copy Protection, Return On Invenstment discussions. Add the fact that they'd have to support the platform, when there's 1000 flavors running loose for any different need, would be hell.

Comment

• Originally posted by me262 View Post
                  Why don't they make a Linux version when there's PS3/Mac versions out? See sections on Wine, Copy Protection, Return On Invenstment discussions. Add the fact that they'd have to support the platform, when there's 1000 flavors running loose for any different need, would be hell.
                  Supporting it isn't as hard as one would think. You just got to know the magic- there's several ways to actually DO it and icculus, TTimo, and I know some of them. I'm more than happy to share.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    You know...nothing in what I said said this... What I told you was how unrealistic YOUR position in all of this was.
                    I think its very near to being a lost cause, until probably when the succesor to windows vista is released.

Comment

• Again, Linux is just a newborn on the computer retail market. In time we'll get some AAA 0-day.

Comment

Working...
                      X