This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gilboa View Post
    There's a -vast- difference between (empty) forum posts and actual revenues.
    As long as vast majority of gamers buy Windows titles, most titles will be Windows only. Simple economics.

- Gilboa
    whats the other choice? not buying anything at all? Thats not a very popular option for the majority. thats why countries get crappy presidents, no one likes to vote blank.

Comment

• There is a market and its growing rapidly , ignore the market at your peril , although market size has nothing to do with why there is still no ut3 port. Generally speaking the game has bombed and those console monkeys are no substitute for a community. I would still like my game to run however along with the editor as promised so i can get busy modding as the engine its self is very good indeed.....heh skateboards and nerfballs in ons indeed :P

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
        whats the other choice? not buying anything at all? Thats not a very popular option for the majority. thats why countries get crappy presidents, no one likes to vote blank.
        Crappy presidents, you wouldn't be talking about US would you?

Nerf... hmm... how about the old-fashioned paint rounds?

I'm sure if the project got canceled, the stink wouldn't be legal. It would be from us, and that would dig Linux in further as an unviable PC gaming platform. If Epic backed out of a platform that they've supported, then there would only leave iD, and LGP's fistful of companies willing to do business. Sad to say it, but we need those companies to help leverage the platform. So if they have faith in us, and continue to develop for our platform, other people will too, and it's a valid arguable point when talking to companies to convince them.
        It is very well viable, but only if the companies see it as profitable.

Comment

• Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
          There is a market and its growing rapidly , ignore the market at your peril , although market size has nothing to do with why there is still no ut3 port. Generally speaking the game has bombed and those console monkeys are no substitute for a community. I would still like my game to run however along with the editor as promised so i can get busy modding as the engine its self is very good indeed.....heh skateboards and nerfballs in ons indeed :P
          Businesses do that all the time- ignoring new markets. What you're not getting is that the gaming industry is more akin to the music industry in many ways- the same class of people are running it (In some cases, they're the same ones as the major labels (Heh... Vivendi/Universal ring a bell?). Do you see the labels not with their heads up their backside with regards to a rapidly growing market? I think the response to downloads, etc. shows how they think about things that don't fit into the mold of what they already know.

Either you wait until they realize the market really is there (Probably another 2-3 years or a little longer at the current rate of things happening...) or you change the rules of the game like the indies are doing things right at the moment in the music industry.

Change the nature of the game or play along- mouthing off will not change how things are or get them to "wise up" about a growing market.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
            It still doesn't change the reality of what was stated that you were commenting on.

Buying Windows titles sends a vote with money for studios to keep making Windows titles. That, folks, is a hard bit of reality that will not change with any amount of pointing, handwaving, etc. about this being a much bigger market than they think and it's at least 30-50 million strong. If the community can't be bothered to buy largely Linux titles, why should they go to the trouble of making them?

You mean to tell them that people buying it under Windows and running it under WINE means they'll buy it for Linux?

There is absolutely NO assurances of that there for them- and if it works under WINE in an even mediocre fashion, and you're all buying Windows titles with that situation, why should they expend $30-50k worth of development effort on their part? So that they'll have 5-10k happier users? (Keep in mind, you are NOT their customer, no matter HOW you try to frame it, unless you bought it from them DIRECTLY like with S2 games, you're a user of their stuff at best, and if you're not using an officially/unofficially supported OS platform, you're not even that really...) Did they show a profit, just break-even, or lose money on that- unless it's a profit venture, unless the studio is doing it for their own purposes, it will flat-out NOT get done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              mouthing off will not change how things are or get them to "wise up" about a growing market.
              What will make then "wise up" then? , i would buy LGP titles if A: i could get to http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com/ and B: they ported anything that i want to play. They should port GOOD games , not neccaserily the latest 'hot' titles but games people actually like , i'm sure they could port something like wwp for peanuts and knock it out for $10-$20 , heck even include a free ubuntu cd. Imagine if LGP struck a deal with sony to port GT4 to GNU/Linux , there would be mass ubuntu installations just so they could play GT4 on their proper computers ( oh i'd pay $300 maybe even $400 for that title... ).

Comment

What will make then "wise up" then? , i would buy LGP titles if A: i could get to http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com/ and B: they ported anything that i want to play. They should port GOOD games , not neccaserily the latest 'hot' titles but games people actually like , i'm sure they could port something like wwp for peanuts and knock it out for $10-$20 , heck even include a free ubuntu cd. Imagine if LGP struck a deal with sony to port GT4 to GNU/Linux , there would be mass ubuntu installations just so they could play GT4 on their proper computers ( oh i'd pay $300 maybe even $400 for that title... ).
                Heh...

You'd pay $300 for that title? Think you can find some 4000 people to buy it that way- and then only if you pony up the cash up-front on the risk that it might never happen? If so, then you might, MIGHT see something happen there. They're going to want $100k or more just to have access to the rights to THAT particular title- and for that title, a small profit would be available at the 4000 unit level and would break even only if you found some 3333 other people like yourself at the MINIMUM. Do the math and don't play games with it trying to bury either the man-hours for the team (probably on the order of $50-100k of pay's worth there if they're not seasoned cross-platform players targeting for things like MacOS...) or the royalty payments. There's a cruel hard math here you're just glossing over in your remarks.

It does NOT hardly cost them anything to make a Linux version. Unless it's ALREADY made in the first place or they have a MacOS or possibly a PS3 version, it's going to take some effort to make it work that way if they've used a lot of DirectX stuff nestled in their game. It's not undoable, but it means work. Salaries need to be paid for that stuff. It would take 4 or more months. This means they're out anywhere from $50-150k just to make that Linux version. That's not hardly anything. You NEED to sell 2000 units at $30 per copy to see a smidge of a profit on your investment of money at the $50k expense level. We've not really seen that sort of traction in the space of late if you want the brutal honest truth- and this is even with Quake3:Arena, a game everybody wanted. It only sold 150-200 units because of a slight delay in shipping and NOBODY wanted to wait for the damn things and skewed the metrics (iD does not keep track of what OS a given copy of Q3:A was running nor would DL's of the "patch" set be a good metric either.)- and they all go off of SKU sales, not downloads, etc. when they make determinations of what to do in the industry. What makes them money.

200, even 2000 units in sales will not endear you to them. In their world, unless it's a very niche play, you'd better, by-God, sell something on the order of 25-50k units or it's deemed a dead loss- "tanked" as someone put it in another thread, which would be a legitimate call on the description they'd apply to it, even if it was a good game. If it's a niche play, it'd better sell 5k units at the least and would be better if they sold 10k or more.

Comment

• so linux gaming is a lost cause ? should i install winxp ? ( shudder )

Comment

so linux gaming is a lost cause ? should i install winxp ? ( shudder )
                    You know...nothing in what I said said this... What I told you was how unrealistic YOUR position in all of this was.

Comment

• Linux gaming as I see it is an uphill battle, carrying camping equipment, in the snow, but at least we have snow boots.

I know I buy these games for Windows and run them on Wine/Cedega because it's popular and no Linux version is available. I actually missed out on Hellgate London because there's no support at all for it.

I also think that the numbers game in this case is completely screwed up. All of the Windows layer emulation IS screwing and skewing these numbers.

Unless a game is programmed with compatibility in mind (why doesn't anyone use Eclipse+CDT?), it's hard to port. That's why Quake 3 did so well on a multitude of systems. I guess it has to be set and stuck with through the initial dev stages.

PS, I know Eclipse+CDT on Windows is a bitch to set up. I only got it right once, and I can't remember for the life of me how to get it going again.

Comment

Working...
                      X