This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
    Really? Were all previous UT games available for linux natively? I ask because I have the unreal anthology boxset collecting dust and if the games included have linux clients maybe i can play them.
    Yes all Unreal Tournament's 99/03/04 had native linux binaries.
    The single player games (Unreal,Unreal 2) did not have native clients but worked fine in wine.

Comment

• Ah ok, thanks. Now, were there linux clients for the editors for those UT games as well? Like UnrealED 2.5 for example? It'd be cool to be able to make maps for ue2.5 from linux.

Comment

• As far as I know, no.
        Although I don't think it was that hard to convert the data over.

Concerning sales though, yes, we may not directly buy from the publisher or software house. We do buy from retailers. However retailers always need to create the initial sales and replenish stock.

You can't disprove though that Epic has been not-too-nice, and very tight-lipped about this lately. No new news may be good news, but any new news is helpful.

"I thought you said getting there first wasn't the point." - Alex Tully
        "It isn't, but getting there at all is helpful!" - Corina Wiles
        - Drive (1x03)

If anything, Epic may just be waiting until after the "Make something Unreal" contest, so they can roll all that up into a bonus pack, and include that and the Linux client in a "CBP", "ECE", or "GOTY" pack.
        Unless they do what iD does, and release the client online, and make everyone use the existing CDs/DVDs.
        Last edited by me262; 20 July 2008, 01:00 AM. Reason: Really shouldn't be quoting the article just above me, should I?

Comment

• Originally posted by me262 View Post
          As far as I know, no.
          Although I don't think it was that hard to convert the data over.

Concerning sales though, yes, we may not directly buy from the publisher or software house. We do buy from retailers. However retailers always need to create the initial sales and replenish stock.

You can't disprove though that Epic has been not-too-nice, and very tight-lipped about this lately. No new news may be good news, but any new news is helpful.

"I thought you said getting there first wasn't the point." - Alex Tully
          "It isn't, but getting there at all is helpful!" - Corina Wiles
          - Drive (1x03)

If anything, Epic may just be waiting until after the "Make something Unreal" contest, so they can roll all that up into a bonus pack, and include that and the Linux client in a "CBP", "ECE", or "GOTY" pack.
          Unless they do what iD does, and release the client online, and make everyone use the existing CDs/DVDs.
          Well, the second option is the one everyones been waiting for since last year, and the first option, if thats the case then the linux client will be released somewhere around aug. 2009. btw, is anyone here participating in the make something unreal contest?

Comment

• I'd say in here, it's likely no one is participating.
            If they don't have a Linux client yet, there's no real sense in us testing our creations. Unless they want to boot to Windows.
            Last edited by me262; 20 July 2008, 01:01 AM. Reason: Really shouldn't be quoting the article just above me, should I?

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Yes all Unreal Tournament's 99/03/04 had native linux binaries.
              The single player games (Unreal,Unreal 2) did not have native clients but worked fine in wine.
              IIRC UT99 only has the binaries on the CD if bought from Tuxgames, but I'm not sure... Yup, a quick search turned out that indeed they have sold the whole series (Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal Tournament 2004 & Unreal Tournament III is announced). So Unreal Tournament (apparently) did come with the Linux binaries on the CD at some point, and the installer with the binaries could be downloaded if you already had the Windows version. I just hope this track record fro Epic continues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                Because he's not a developer- he's middle to upper management?

And there's no need to be making remarks like that- all you're going to do is alienate them further. Don't blame HIM for it not working after you bought it- you bought a WINDOWS title. No Linux client, it's not a Linux title. If it's not a Linux title, it should be a no sale from you. Yes, they DID state that it was going to be out. Yes, they DID initially imply that it'd be like the previous two UT versions. In the end, if it doesn't have TUX on the box or have a download after the fact for it, and you bought it on just promises alone, you have only yourself to blame.

There is likely to be at least a few industry players watching this unfold. Your and others' comments on here may impact things for some time to come.

You might want to temper your remarks in the future. Until someone makes a Linux version, you really and truly aren't their userbase. Forget being their "customer"- you're not. You didn't buy it from them, you bought it from a retailer- you are that retailer's customer and all they sold you was a box with Windows software in it with no ability for them to fix the problem save taking it back (If that...).
                Tbh i dont care , originally the client was supposed to ship on the dvd. Being a UT* junkie i was bought it as a christmas gift so now i have what ammounts to an expensive paper weight , i can understand that GNU/Linux users arent a priority but saying there WILL be a GNU/Linux client shortly on release then not providing it ammounts to false advertising and to top it all off those who ask in epics forums about this get a 'talk to the thread 'cos we aint listenin', this just doesnt help and in many cases has infuriated some of their most hardcore fans. Let me put it like this- a console/windows user will buy the game - play it for a few months then move on to another game , a GNU/Linux user will buy the game , cherish it and play it for many years. Why? because GNU/Linux games are (too) few and far between.
                Epic seem to just want to cash in on the unreal brand rather than satisfying the hardcore fans who would in turn preach the game in blogs , forums and by word of mouth - a formula which has worked very well in the past - can anyone even remember a tv/magazine ad for any unreal title ??
                For me booting windows to play a game ( something i do when i'm bored and there is nothing on tv ) is not an option as i have nothing but contempt for anything that redmond spits out , people may see me as a zealot which may be true but we live in a free society and i have the right to be , note that i dont enquire about a COD4 GNU/Linux client - because they never said that there would be!

Comment

• ...so can I be the one that starts the new thread "1 year and still no UT3 for linux?"

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                    ...so can I be the one that starts the new thread "1 year and still no UT3 for linux?"
                    When should happen that "anniversary"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
                      When should happen that "anniversary"?
                      Oh, just in a few days im sure. I know Epic won't dissapoint us with the anniversary and with many more to come.

Comment

Working...
                      X