This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Sigh*

Repeat after me. (use your console if you must...)
    while [ 1 ] ; do
    echo Buy the native version once it\'s released from a Linux store.
    done
    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

• Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
      I know people who pre-ordered it long before it was released , epic stated then that it would ship with a GNU/Linux client , then it changed to they will be released shortly and we are still here. I can handle a delay , even a 1 year delay but to have a 1 year delay combined with 'stone walling' isnt right , i'm a customer and deserve to be treated as such
      Epic didn't state that it was going to ship, only that it was their intention to do so. Things didn't work out on that front- and intention is quite a bit removed from "it will", unfortunately.

Furthermore, Epic didn't state that it would be shortly for both client and server. Epic stated nothing official on that regard. The contractor for Epic doing the work said in an unofficial manner, much like my remarks have been on this and other topics, that there was a problem with the middleware and that the server was going to be out in a short time (which it was...) and the client piece was going to take quite a bit of rework to make it happen and we'd have to see when it'd come out.

The only egregious thing they've done so far is the stonewalling and thread deletions. Now, you DO have a right to be quite a bit peeved at that stuff, actually. And you'd not have me pointing out things and calling that out if you were bitching about that alone.

Finally... You didn't buy from them directly, did you? If you did, then you'd be their customer. If you didn't, you're the customer of the company that sold you the SKU. They sold you something they believed would run on Windows, not Linux- with no representations that the item you bought would actually RUN on Linux. All you are in that context is a potential user of their software- and I'd be disappointed that they've not delivered up to this point, but I would hesitate to call it "broken trust" as others have done the selfsame thing in the past, including Bioware, to the Linux community. It happens, much like DNF has been Forever delayed.

Comment

• Originally posted by gilboa View Post
        *Sigh*

Repeat after me. (use your console if you must...)
        while [ 1 ] ; do
        echo Buy the native version once it\'s released from a Linux store.
        done
        Just ignore him unless he gets something completely wrong. Honest.

You're just not going to convince him he's barking up the wrong tree here and arguing with him fits that old saw about arguments, it does...

Comment

• Please stop arguing, everytime I see this thread or some other related as "Popular in The Forums" I click waiting new information about the linux client.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf
            Moreover, this crap is a part of WHY they won't make stuff for us, D0pamine. When they expect to sell 250k or more units on a title and we're currently representing something like 5k maybe 10k units, stuff like the stuff you and a few others have been posting in these forums makes them think long and hard about doing ANYTHING for us and usually come up with the conclusion we're just a lunatic fringe instead of an emerging market. We're more trouble than we're worth because we'll be adding all sorts of support nightmares on top of what they already have.
            Well, i'd like to disagree on that assertion. I dont think Epic or any other company reads up what the community says on their or someone elses forums, or at least no one that has any influential power in the company. "ms Windows users" also say all kinds of stuff about their games' companies, and theyre not usually positive, either. The reason why they keep making their games for them first in priority (probably not anymore, first is now given to console players) is because billyboy gates cemented his propietary system monopoly a very long time ago, and thats what the majority of the whiny players that make their playerbase use.

Well,

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
              Well, i'd like to disagree on that assertion. I dont think Epic or any other company reads up what the community says on their or someone elses forums, or at least no one that has any influential power in the company.
              WarTourist looks in on this forum and this thread and others.

That's the producer for the very game we're bickering about here.

He has a very definite impact on the decision making to either make or not make a version for Linux.

There's others. Trust me.

Comment

• Originally posted by marakaid View Post
                Please stop arguing, everytime I see this thread or some other related as "Popular in The Forums" I click waiting new information about the linux client.
                Sorry. I can see why you'd be bothered by that. Like I said in earlier posts...

Moreover, I do believe that if there was an announcement or more real info on the client, that Michael Larabel would have a headline and there'd be a different discussion thread about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  I'm not quite sure what to make of that. I didn't say you weren't entitled to an opinion, just that your opinion's off in left field and that you might want to re-evaluate it or express it a lot better.

Now, you're going off on LGP because of MY opinion. Am I not entitled to my opinion? Apparently not because you're associating me, posting on solely my behalf, with an official action of LGP and it's THEIR opinion ("Is me looking foolish the official line of LGP?"...) which is patently bogus.

If it weren't for the fact that we need every sale right at the moment, I'd tell you, "more power to you" and just ignore you. You will not get the attention of the companies- your position's so extreme and not based in any semblance of reality that nobody save people of your like mind will ever really take you seriously.
                  See you should be careful as your tag suggests you are a representative of LGP , labeling potential customers as foolish which is slightly insulting isnt a very good idea when you need every sale you can get . A public apology ( something even the mighty epic cannot do ) might be a good idea

Comment

• I must confess that at first I felt pretty much like D0pamine with regards to Epic and UT3, the key difference was that in my case, as soon as I learned that the binaries wouldn't make it to the install media in time, I called off my pre-order. I bought UT2k3 and 2k4 solely on the grounds that they would (as they actually DID) include the binaries on the install media, since UT3 wouldn't, I'd simply wait for the binaries before buying it.

Like I said, during the first months of delay I felt like Epic had betrayed their Linux customers, but I finally realized that it didn't matter how I felt or how vocal I'd be, that wouldn't change the fact that the delay was because of something Epic (or more precisely, Ryan) couldn't publicly tell or disclose. The only thing for me to do was to actually accept the fact that for the foreseeable future there wasn't going to be a UT3 for Linux release, which in turn meant that I wouldn't buy UT3 for the foreseeable future either (decision which saved me over 60 USD ). Now my posture is simple: if it comes out (and having played it on the PS3, I already know the game) I'll buy it, if it doesn't, I won't. As simple as that.

Comment

• Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
                      See you should be careful as your tag suggests you are a representative of LGP , labeling potential customers as foolish which is slightly insulting isnt a very good idea when you need every sale you can get . A public apology ( something even the mighty epic cannot do ) might be a good idea
                      Nobody owes you any kind of excuse. He's with LGP but still he's allowed to have his opinion and to voice it. After all he's an individual and not just a clerk without a face barking out lines written down on a shoddy piece of paper by some PR moron.

Why is this topic still not locked? Somebody misplaced the lock-stick? :P

Comment

Working...
                      X