Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You purchase windows software, do you expect to get your money back because it doesn't work on a non-windows platform?

Ignore Epic, your contract is with the software vendor, and he sold you windows software. If you don't like the fact it doesn't work with Linux, go back to the vendor and complain, because the vendor is where you have a contract. And good luck with THAT as an idea.

Comment

• legally it doesnt matter , its a question of trust and and that trust being broken

Comment

• Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
        legally it doesnt matter , its a question of trust and and that trust being broken
        You bought a Windows product on the possibility that there would be a Linux version made available. Past performance does not equate to current performance- you can go on and on about "trust" and it "being broken", but all you're doing is making yourself look the fool here.

You.
        Bought.
        A.
        Windows.
        Title.

If there wasn't a Linux version available (and there was none promised by the release time for the Windows version- they'd indicated they'd hoped to be able to do it, but fell short of that...way short, actually, with an 11th hour problem with the Linux and MacOS versions...) at the time that you bought it, WHY did you buy it in the first place? You don't use Windows by your own admission- and I don't think it runs very well in WINE.

We've went on and on about this, D0pamine.

All in all, you can go on and on about it- about how your "trust was broken". In the end, all you have is your misplaced trust- which is nobody's fault save your own. In the end, that's what most people are going to see. Going on about it won't change that fact. Going on about it won't make the game arrive any quicker.

Comment

• hah no kidding. It sort of makes sense to have bought it if you have a Windows install you can play it on in the meantime, and I'm cool with being cranky that the port is taking longer than anyone imagined. But if you don't use Windows at all, why buy it one moment before a Linux client is out?

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            You bought a Windows product on the possibility that there would be a Linux version made available. Past performance does not equate to current performance- you can go on and on about "trust" and it "being broken", but all you're doing is making yourself look the fool here.
            What makes YOU judge on what looks foolish or not? that 'I work for LGP' title? Is me looking foolish the official line of LGP? Or is that your 'personal opinion' ? I have opinions too - GOBSHITE!

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            You.
            Bought.
            A.
            Windows.
            Title.
            Which epic state that i will need to use the GNU/Linux binaries

If there wasn't a Linux version available (and there was none promised by the release time for the Windows version- they'd indicated they'd hoped to be able to do it, but fell short of that...way short, actually, with an 11th hour problem with the Linux and MacOS versions...) at the time that you bought it, WHY did you buy it in the first place? You don't use Windows by your own admission- and I don't think it runs very well in WINE.
            I bought it because epic stated that i would need the windows version to use the native GNU/Linux binaries - 'It will rock on linux and mac too' or something to that effect

We've went on and on about this, D0pamine.
            Yes we did , that doesnt make you right though does it

All in all, you can go on and on about it- about how your "trust was broken". In the end, all you have is your misplaced trust- which is nobody's fault save your own. In the end, that's what most people are going to see. Going on about it won't change that fact. Going on about it won't make the game arrive any quicker.
            It doesnt matter if the GNU/Linux client is released tomorrow , its being burned - not so much because of the delay but because of the arrogance of certain staff at epic games. Would an apology such as - 'Epic games sincerely apologises for the delay of the linux and mac versions of ut3 , they will be released as soon as possible' have been too much ? but no we get 'you bought a windows title not our problem' - 'read the FAQ' or the best one 'here are some screenshots of what you paid for - thread closed!' . Dont think for one moment that i am the only person that feels this way , there have been a great many locked threads and infractions on this subject. This is a case of misplaced trust , I will not be making the same mistake again as epic will never have another penny from me ( LGP wont get anything to start with thanks to you Svartalf )

Comment

• Basically buying UT3 for windows in the hopes that epic would release a linux binary was taking epic's word. And everyone knows Epic's word isnt worth much of anything, basically. It's like trusting CliffyB with the public relations of your company.
              Last edited by xav1r; 14 October 2008, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• D0pamine,

You obviously don't agree with the "Buy Linux native games if/when the Linux binary is ready and supported" point - no do you seem to understand that when push comes to shove, you bought a Windows title. (Nothing more, nothing less)
                We, on the other hand, don't really agree with your "But the FAQ said so!" argument - no matter how many times it's being repeated in different forms or words.

As this argument has long over-lived it's usefulness, can we drop the useless spam?

Thanks!

- Gilboa
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

• Originally posted by MamiyaOtaru View Post
                  hah no kidding. It sort of makes sense to have bought it if you have a Windows install you can play it on in the meantime, and I'm cool with being cranky that the port is taking longer than anyone imagined. But if you don't use Windows at all, why buy it one moment before a Linux client is out?
                  See the original story was ( before it was released for win ) that the GNU/Linux bin would ship on the dvd , then that changed to the binaries will be released shortly.............. and we're still here

Comment

• Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                    D0pamine,

You obviously don't agree with the "Buy Linux native games if/when the Linux binary is ready and supported" point - no do you seem to understand that when push comes to shove, you bought a Windows title. (Nothing more, nothing less)
                    We, on the other hand, don't really agree with your "But the FAQ said so!" argument - no matter how many times it's being repeated in different forms or words.

As this argument has long over-lived it's usefulness, can we drop the useless spam?

Thanks!

- Gilboa
                    I know people who pre-ordered it long before it was released , epic stated then that it would ship with a GNU/Linux client , then it changed to they will be released shortly and we are still here. I can handle a delay , even a 1 year delay but to have a 1 year delay combined with 'stone walling' isnt right , i'm a customer and deserve to be treated as such

Comment

• Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
                      ( LGP wont get anything to start with thanks to you Svartalf )
                      I'm not quite sure what to make of that. I didn't say you weren't entitled to an opinion, just that your opinion's off in left field and that you might want to re-evaluate it or express it a lot better.

Now, you're going off on LGP because of MY opinion. Am I not entitled to my opinion? Apparently not because you're associating me, posting on solely my behalf, with an official action of LGP and it's THEIR opinion ("Is me looking foolish the official line of LGP?"...) which is patently bogus.

If it weren't for the fact that we need every sale right at the moment, I'd tell you, "more power to you" and just ignore you. You will not get the attention of the companies- your position's so extreme and not based in any semblance of reality that nobody save people of your like mind will ever really take you seriously.

Honest.

Moreover, this crap is a part of WHY they won't make stuff for us, D0pamine. When they expect to sell 250k or more units on a title and we're currently representing something like 5k maybe 10k units, stuff like the stuff you and a few others have been posting in these forums makes them think long and hard about doing ANYTHING for us and usually come up with the conclusion we're just a lunatic fringe instead of an emerging market. We're more trouble than we're worth because we'll be adding all sorts of support nightmares on top of what they already have.

Honest.

With all the going on you're doing, you're not convincing anyone and you're not helping yourself or anyone else. But, you don't feel that way and apparently feelings is what drives your thoughts, based on all your opinions and commentary.

Fair enough... I'm terribly sorry that you feel the way you do about LGP and it's product offerings based upon MY opinions of your actions that are not representative of LGP's position on things, but solely my own. As a representative of LGP, I would wish that you reconsider that position as we've actually done nothing to break your trust as you feel Epic has so I'm a bit puzzled why you would equate a personal opinion with a peon within the company, rather than an official statement from LGP from Michael Simms.

You are entitled to be upset about your purchase. You won't have anyone thinking ill of you being upset over it.

Unfortunately, the law is framed the way it is based on what actually is viewed to be proper and Epic hasn't done anything to merit a return of your money. It's a shame if we come along and make something you want. Be sure to NOT buy it if you're still of this mind. I would rather you didn't keep posturing this way, but it's your choice and I won't do anything to anyone other that point out how foolish and counterproductive it is. In your case, I'll refrain from any further remarks on this subject with you specifically unless you get something very egregiously wrong. I wouldn't want to violate any more of your trust than I already have.

You're not entitled to get that back because your deal wasn't with them, it was with the retailer who sold you the game SKU. They sold you a Windows SKU and claiming that you're entitled to a refund based on remarks that "it'll rock on Linux and MacOS" and "we're working on the Linux and MacOS versions and you'll be able to use the Windows version when the Linux version comes out you'll be able to use the Windows SKU to play the game..."- nobody will shed a tear for you having bought the SKU before the Linux version was available. I don't care how you feel about it. The law is framed in that way because that's how everyone else thinks about this sort of thing. You're on your own if you buy something expecting it to meet a certain fitness of merchantability and it clearly states something other than what you envisioned things.

Unfortunately the only person you have a beef with over this is yourself for having done it the way you have. Blustering about "broken trust" like you and others have done in this thread and a few others only look immature at this point because of what I just said in the previous paragraph. Apparently you don't feel that way- that's really a shame. But don't expect anyone to take you seriously, ever, while you have the position you currently do.
                      Last edited by Svartalf; 14 October 2008, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X