Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So if I get angry about receiving nothing, I might continue to recieve nothing. Not much of a drawback.

I really think that Epic is abandoning the PC. They've all but said as much WRT Gears of War (halfassed win-only port) and future games, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that these endless delays are management saying 'can everything PC' and the code writers saying 'but UT3 linux is done, why can't we ship it?'.

If UT3 Linux is coming, that's cool. It'll be far too late to matter already. The Windows players are all but gone, online multiplay is winding down sharply.

I don't see any UT3 Linux release happening, and if it does, it will be far too late to matter at all. The delays on the Linux server hurt multiplay, and the Windows players are done with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forge View Post
      So if I get angry about receiving nothing, I might continue to recieve nothing. Not much of a drawback.
      No. You will get JACK overall. Not just not getting UT3. People are watching all of this and if you make yourself too obnoxious you'll give other studios and publishers the idea that we're all a bunch of spoiled brats not worth supporting because we'll cost them too much. I'm about to tell several other people the same thing here in some of the other threads.

You keep acting like you're entitled to something. You're not. I don't care if you bought the Windows version, thinking there'll be a Linux version. You still bought the Windows version without a known Linux client in hand- meaning you bought a Windows game. That doesn't entitle you to anything other than playing it on Windows.

I really think that Epic is abandoning the PC. They've all but said as much WRT Gears of War (halfassed win-only port) and future games, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that these endless delays are management saying 'can everything PC' and the code writers saying 'but UT3 linux is done, why can't we ship it?'.
      You might be right. But the thing is, it still doesn't entitle several people's conduct in the forums.

If UT3 Linux is coming, that's cool. It'll be far too late to matter already. The Windows players are all but gone, online multiplay is winding down sharply.
      Guess what... If it didn't last like the previous versions (many, many years, in fact...) then it wasn't all that worth getting in the first place- or the Windows players are so fickle that they're probably not worth playing with in the first place...

I don't see any UT3 Linux release happening, and if it does, it will be far too late to matter at all. The delays on the Linux server hurt multiplay, and the Windows players are done with it.
      Heh... Wasn't much of a game, then. What's your beef then?

Comment

• The fact that WarTourist is starting to answer a few questions about the packaging is a good sign that they're almost near completion.

A downloadable client is always nice and welcome. A Linux SKU is desirable, but not neccessary at this point, because they can now track an increase in how many people buy the game. If the client phones the OS back to Epic, that's great usage info too.

WarTourist, is there OS tracking (Statistical data) in the clients?

Comment

• No. You will get JACK overall. Not just not getting UT3. People are watching all of this and if you make yourself too obnoxious you'll give other studios and publishers the idea that we're all a bunch of spoiled brats not worth supporting because we'll cost them too much. I'm about to tell several other people the same thing here in some of the other threads.

You keep acting like you're entitled to something. You're not. I don't care if you bought the Windows version, thinking there'll be a Linux version. You still bought the Windows version without a known Linux client in hand- meaning you bought a Windows game. That doesn't entitle you to anything other than playing it on Windows.
          Well, in all fairness, windows users are too a bunch of spoiled brats, and even more so the console crowd. No widescreen support? WAH!!! No dual shock controllers? WAHH!! The difference is those spoiled brats are much more in numbers and they constitute the game publishers' client base, and so they have to please this spoiled brats, i mean, customers. Isnt pandering to the american audiences what movie studios and tv conglomerates do when they for example make a "for the us" version of a foreign show that they want to show in the usa? Why can they just stick the sub-titles in and read a little, like the rest of the world does? Thats pandering. i guess that if im not entitled to a linux natively playable game, they (epic) isnt entitled to my money either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            People are watching all of this and if you make yourself too obnoxious you'll give other studios and publishers the idea that we're all a bunch of spoiled brats not worth supporting because we'll cost them too much.
            I sincerely hope you're right about other developers/publishers following this mess. If they are reading, I have a few dos and don'ts I'd like to share. I think if they follow these they'll have a very enthusiastic and long-lived following.

DO deliver what you promise. Linux users by and large do not appreciate empty promises.

DON'T think everyone will just forget. There are lists of developers/publishers who promised to deliver Game X and then tried to pretend they never said it.

DO tell us if problems arise. The community has thus far been very sympathetic to developers/publishers who encountered third-party problems. NWN for Linux had no prerendered cutscenes because of a SNAFU with Bink, and the users generally nodded and said "that's a shame but thanks for getting everything else working".

DO open the source of any old stuff once you no longer have use for it. I know lots of projects are limited in what they can offer because of third-party licenses, but open up the stuff you made. Even if it's just part of a sound engine or a map editor, the OSS community LOVES gifts and can do great things. Look at all the Q1 derived projects, or the multitude of REALLY cool mods basing off of Freespace2.

DON'T turn a lead ear on the Linux folks. If you can't act on our suggestions or just plain don't want them, that's FINE! We understand that Windows or a console is your bread and butter and we're a side thing.

DO port, even if your ability to support that port is limited. We understand if it's missing the map editor, or even if you can't get the libraries to play movies (as mentioned). Do release what you can and do what you can to make what you released open and fixable. Lots of projects rely on nameless third parties to contribute patches/fixes/hacks. We're OK with that.

DON'T tell us about how lucrative consoles are, and how there's no piracy there. If you don't want to make a Linux port, say so, and we'll be disappointed. We'll get over it and move on, though.

DO interact with the community. Look at the general tone of UT3 threads now versus a few months back. When Wartourist started posting here, we noticed, and the general tone became a lot more positive. You don't have to have a dedicated full-time internet liason, but it helps, and we'll take what we can get. Locking/deleting threads and ignoring anything posted with 'Linux' in it isn't how you make friends.

Anyways, while these are pointed somewhat at Epic/UT3, I hope anyone that sees them reads at least a few and gives it a little thought. You don't have to be the Quake3 era id and give it all away free, but working with us gets us working with you. Ignoring us and/or not delivering on promises sours the market against you, no matter what you go on to do later.

We might be whiny sometimes, but I bet you get pissy if checks don't clear. That's what this is in a lot of folks minds. A promise to deliver. A check bouncing and a port not shipping have a lot in common that way.

I'll go be quiet now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forge View Post

<* Amazing list of what should have been said all along snipped for brevity... *>

I'll go be quiet now.

Heh... Nice rant there.

Now, that was the sort of thing I was trying to get you to do. Not taking swipes at 'em. While the first may make you and a few others feel better or express your rage about this sort of thing. In the end, what you just posted here is a better answer. Even the remarks at the end. Serious.

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                Well, in all fairness, windows users are too a bunch of spoiled brats, and even more so the console crowd. No widescreen support? WAH!!! No dual shock controllers? WAHH!! The difference is those spoiled brats are much more in numbers and they constitute the game publishers' client base, and so they have to please this spoiled brats, i mean, customers. Isnt pandering to the american audiences what movie studios and tv conglomerates do when they for example make a "for the us" version of a foreign show that they want to show in the usa? Why can they just stick the sub-titles in and read a little, like the rest of the world does? Thats pandering. i guess that if im not entitled to a linux natively playable game, they (epic) isnt entitled to my money either.
                Heh... You had the "spoiled brats" right the first time...

As for being not entitled, heh, yeah, it goes both ways- and I'd be making it clear why like Forge just did just now. It's very simple really- and it doesn't take any more than that to do this:

Don't buy unless it's got a Linux version already available. I won't say that I've not done the same thing myself- there's a reason why I keep saying that over and over again. NWN was LATE in the same class thereof as UT3, you know..

Don't get snippy about a missed promise. Just point out that they aren't in keeping with their promises and then...walk...away. A lot of the vitriol shows us to be that same class of spoiled brats. I'd hope we, the early adopters of Linux, would have a bit more class than that.

Bitching about it won't make the damn thing get here any faster.

Bitching about it save in a manner that I've been trying to get people to do now for the last four to five months now won't give the studios any feedback as to what NOT to do in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by me262 View Post
                  The fact that WarTourist is starting to answer a few questions about the packaging is a good sign that they're almost near completion.
                  That'd be my takeaway from today's exchanges in this thread.

Now, it remains to be seen if I am going to have budget in the timeframe that it comes out. I've got things that are going to eat my disposable cashflow (Training on two show horses, new car, that sort of stuff...) so they may have missed the window on my buying it at all.

Comment

• Svartalf

Port stalker -shadow of chernobyl and or clear skies , they're better than ut*

Comment

• Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
                      Svartalf

Port stalker -shadow of chernobyl and or clear skies , they're better than ut*
                      Uh... Shouldn't that go in the wishlist thread?

Comment

Working...
                      X