This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gilboa
    As some people above said, neither ID nor Epic owe us anything - and as much as I dislike the way Epic has handled this PR fiasco (No, repeating the same empty message doesn't really help), we, as a community should consider our long term goals (E.g. More native games) before we start burning down the house.

- Gilboa
    Thank you for making that remark.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      I have to wonder what he's making of all these goings on...it can't be reflecting well on us with some of these comments...
      Judicious use of vBB's ignore feature allows me to enjoy an insult free Phoronix experience .

Comment

• Originally posted by WarTourist View Post
        Judicious use of vBB's ignore feature allows me to enjoy an insult free Phoronix experience .
        Bravo, sir! Well done indeed!

Comment

Time frame ? This year ? Sir ?

Am I one of those victims of the ignore feature?

Comment

• Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
            Time frame ? This year ? Sir ?

Am I one of those victims of the ignore feature?
            Well, you, deanjo, and a few others have been pretty mouthy about things- and not in a very good way about it, really.

I'm not going to tell you NOT to gripe- I've been doing my fair share of it. All mostly guarded remarks. Partly because I'm not one to be throwing stones over delayed releases (heh...) and because I know I'm not at all entitled to ANYTHING.

But, you and the others in question have been acting like you're entitled to the thing. Some of them actually think that since they made public statements that there would be a Linux version that buying the WINDOWS version entitled them to something for Linux. There ARE consequences for this sort of crap- you might want to go back through the gripe threads and look at what I posted versus what many of the others posted.

WE do not amount to a pimple on their profits right at the moment, though if there's enough traction in the game space, there'll be vastly more money out of Linux users. Just NOT right now. With that in mind, would YOU expend any effort for what will actually COST them some money overall on UT3 instead of net them a meager profit? Especially with all this crap we've been heaping on Epic and him? I know I wouldn't.

This, in and of itself, is part of the reason we don't see more stuff- they look at this and see what crap Bioware got, what crap Epic is getting right now, and then come up with other reasons to not do it, if only to not have to deal with all of the quarrelous people we seem to have in the segment that comprises what they see of Linux users.

As to when we might see this... I'm guessing with him showing up again that we're looking at a couple of more weeks to a couple of more months- it may be that they're "done" and waiting for "the appropriate time" which would be on THEIR schedule, not yours or mine. And, it could be a solid year from when the Windows version. The Mac version showing up as being released in a couple of days in some online venues leads me to think maybe sooner than later- but that's just a WAG on my part.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              The Mac version showing up as being released in a couple of days in some online venues leads me to think maybe sooner than later- but that's just a WAG on my part.
              I wouldn't put too much faith in that release date. I remember many release dates on Duke Nukem Forever on Amazon.

Comment

I guess the ignore button is the next best thing to being an arbitrary moderator, heh?

Comment

• The ignore feature in fact is rather bad. I can understand if you want to mute some people ( and in other forums, including those I'm staffer ) I would often like to do so but it's wrong. Why? If you black out certain posts the flow of the topic is disrupted and trying to follow a conversation with some posts missing does not only make it difficult it can also lead to misunderstandings or wrong pictures about something. It's like with law. Everyone is entitled to be heard by the law so muffling people takes away their rights, not?

Anyways... I'm never using an ignore feature. I ignore posts in my head if this is required

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                    If you black out certain posts the flow of the topic is disrupted and trying to follow a conversation with some posts missing does not only make it difficult it can also lead to misunderstandings or wrong pictures about something.
                    I agree about forums you're a mod on. But for community forums, it's been my experience that whatever someone on my ignore list is saying is being said by someone not on my ignore sans the insults.

Unfortunately there's this gene in many forum users DNA that causes them to think there's an obnoxiousness threshold they need to cross in order to be heard. I regularly read all the forums covering UT and if you're being obnoxious, you're going to be treated like an obnoxious person (i.e. ignored).

You've got the developer's ear. Now just make sure you're saying something you want us to hear .

Comment

• Now I'm not sure if having such an ear jolted in your major direction is an honor or not. What goes for the UT3 client I think there's nothing more to say... 28 pages should speak a clear language. Not sure if you refer to my post somewhere on the last page. To make a long story short some coder at your end had the glorious idea to check drive "C:" for free space when I entered an "H:" directory to install to ( since this is where my free space is ). Results in the unholy situation of not being able to install at all. What goes for mounted directory problems I'm not going to poke you for it since a couple of fellow game developers have not yet noticed that XP ( and Vista ) learned Volume Mounting

EDIT: Nearly forgot. What exactly is this "OpenAL drama"? Could not get a couple of minutes into the game before it crashed. Some forum mentioned then disabling OpenAL HW to avoid the crashes. I'm working with OpenAL too and I'm surprised how you can manage to crash a game with it. With OpenGL I can understand since I shot down my machine a couple of times with things like binding invalid VBO memory or other things happening if your coffee runs low on ammo late at night. After all OpenAL is just a wrapper around the sound system and sound cards are not yet as sophisticated as graphic cards are.
                      Last edited by Dragonlord; 21 August 2008, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X