This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gilboa View Post
    No offense, but why do I get the distinct feeling that you'll be posting the same message 6 months from now?

- Gilboa
    Because he will. I think UT3's Linux binaries will be published just after Duke Nukem Forever's Linux binaries.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarTourist View Post
      Yep, I check in regularly.
      Heh... Shame that this has taken longer than envisioned, WarTourist.

You've got quite a few unhappy people in the Linux community here because of it. I wish you could tell us a bit more so we could gauge our decisions on this more cleanly. 9 months is a bit extreme for a delay, mind. A little more info on precisely WHAT is going on, limited to what generalities all the NDAs, etc. allow, would go a LONG way to making people at least somewhat happier with this circumstance.

Folks...if he's posting in here like he is, that means it IS still a going concern and he wasn't kidding about it being something that took much longer than planned. I just wish he'd tell us a smidge more than he's giving out right at the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forge View Post
        Because he will. I think UT3's Linux binaries will be published just after Duke Nukem Forever's Linux binaries.
        Heh... That'd depend on whether the reports are accurate- that DNF doesn't mean Did Not Finish and we MIGHT just see DNF ship...finally.

If so, you might actually see that happen... >:-)

I know, I know...but stranger things HAVE happened in the past.

Nine months plus, though, doesn't speak well of the port's fate all the same- and the years that DNF's taken doesn't speak to nicely of the prospects of it either...

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          Heh... That'd depend on whether the reports are accurate- that DNF doesn't mean Did Not Finish and we MIGHT just see DNF ship...finally.

If so, you might actually see that happen... >:-)

I know, I know...but stranger things HAVE happened in the past.

Nine months plus, though, doesn't speak well of the port's fate all the same- and the years that DNF's taken doesn't speak to nicely of the prospects of it either...
          Actually, I meant that Epic is now dead to me, just like DNF. They could kick out a 100% functional bug-free Linux UT3 client tomorrow, and it would mean very very very little to me. All the friends I wanted to play with have moved on to new titles and I was LEFT BEHIND. I will now repay this favor to Epic.

I look forward to id's next work, they DELIVER what they PROMISE.

Comment

Actually, I meant that Epic is now dead to me, just like DNF. They could kick out a 100% functional bug-free Linux UT3 client tomorrow, and it would mean very very very little to me. All the friends I wanted to play with have moved on to new titles and I was LEFT BEHIND. I will now repay this favor to Epic.
            I think this speaks volumes to something though I'm not quite sure what.

That your friends aren't interested in playing because it's "old" concerns me. "New" isn't "better". Something tells me, though, that the gameplay's not quite as good as UT2k4 (because LOTS of people were still playing it right up until UT3 came out...).

Comment

I look forward to id's next work, they DELIVER what they PROMISE.
              Again, someone gets it wrong. Instead of complaining that it is late, thank them for it. OK, so they said it would be out a year ago? So what? If they had said nothing, and released it a year after the windows version, would people be praising them not condemning them.

In this business, promises are worth the paper they are written on, and should be taken as intimations of intent, and nothing more. If they release a Linux version, I might buy a copy. Not because I am an avid UT player, I don't play many FPS games, but because it's a Linux version. If I than get 5 hours fun out of it, it's a cheap nights entertainment!

Stop acting as if you are ENTITLED to Linux games. You aren't. Don't slam a company for delivering a Linux game, because they won't ever bother again if you do. You don't train a dog by punishing it, you train it with praise. Try this with the games companies!

Comment

Something tells me, though, that the gameplay's not quite as good as UT2k4 (because LOTS of people were still playing it right up until UT3 came out...).
                I'll take the original UT99 over 03/04 any day.

Comment

Shame that this has taken longer than envisioned
                  I think we can agree on that !

Comment

• Originally posted by WarTourist View Post
                    I think we can agree on that !
                    Heh... I'm all too familiar with titles that go screwy on you at the 11th hour (Geez...what is it now, two titles, one I was one of the principal devs on and another that I'm finishing gluing all the smoking pieces back together on it... May be taking on a third title that way). I just wish it went smoother for you and we had the game.

I'm not one to throw stones at all (not that I would to begin with...)- at least we're not looking at the delay that they are over there in Garland.

Comment

• Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
                      Again, someone gets it wrong. Instead of complaining that it is late, thank them for it. OK, so they said it would be out a year ago? So what? If they had said nothing, and released it a year after the windows version, would people be praising them not condemning them.

In this business, promises are worth the paper they are written on, and should be taken as intimations of intent, and nothing more. If they release a Linux version, I might buy a copy. Not because I am an avid UT player, I don't play many FPS games, but because it's a Linux version. If I than get 5 hours fun out of it, it's a cheap nights entertainment!

Stop acting as if you are ENTITLED to Linux games. You aren't. Don't slam a company for delivering a Linux game, because they won't ever bother again if you do. You don't train a dog by punishing it, you train it with praise. Try this with the games companies!
                      Heh... And people wonder why I got to ranting about John Carmack's statement at the QuakeCon keynote he gave this year.

Nice rant, by the by. Shorter than mine was and equally to the point.

Folks, it's very, very disappointing and very very unfortunate for us AND Epic that it's gotten this messed up. Let's not go stupid here, k? No Linux client, no sale. Be respectful as RobbieAB was very right about this- had they said nothing and gave it a year later, we'd be talking a different story. Let them know it's not a sale without the Linux client- but be nice about it. Screeching at the providers of the content will NOT get things done for you- like no DRM, like native titles, etc. All you're doing is showing them you're an quarrelous ungrateful consumer- something that most studios and publishers can do without if they're doing fine otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                      X