Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a very interesting turn of events... For which I'm actually thankful. I appreciate someone from Epic Games to actually step up and if not be very verbose at least tell something about the client. Which is actually very appreciated.

Comment

I'm speechless.

As soons as it's out, UT3 will be mine.

Comment

And it only took 6 months and 8 pages of a thread in phoronix to make it a reality.

Comment

so many months of cursing and saying that UT3 won't be worthy anyway erased in just one post?

oh, how things change, now UT3 is the second coming, and Epic rullz Linux gaming...

Comment

Originally posted by WarTourist View Post
            Hi guys. Work on the UT3 linux client most defintely is progressing, albeit a lot slower than we anticipated. We don't discuss the status of patches until we know they're ready to be released. No conspiracy, just challenging work.

Thanks!

Sorry, but until something more concrete surfaces, these are empty words for me. We've all seen promises from various vendors promising linux support in both hardware and software only to see it never materialize. In fact most of the time they will point to a FAQ that says support was anticipated for linux years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
              so many months of cursing and saying that UT3 won't be worthy anyway erased in just one post?

oh, how things change, now UT3 is the second coming, and Epic rullz Linux gaming...

Not really. I'm still not happy about their handling of the UT3-client for Linux and all these closed threads pointing to an outdates FAQ are nothing but a stab in the back of each customer who purchased UT3, in the hoping of getting it to run on Linux a few weeks after the release.

Now we hear that "there's no news to report" was a complete lie, as WarTourist stated "Work on the UT3 linux client most defintely is progressing,..", which would have been great news for everyone asking in Epic's forums.

Still, just to support their Linux-sales, I'll get the game as soon as there's a stable client.

WarTourist, can you tell if there'll be an (already patched!) Linux-demo?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Sorry, but until something more concrete surfaces, these are empty words for me.
                A perfectly reasonable approach for a consumer to take.

Originally posted by Huenengrab View Post
                Now we hear that "there's no news to report" was a complete lie, as WarTourist stated "Work on the UT3 linux client most defintely is progressing,..", which would have been great news for everyone asking in Epic's forums.
                But that's exactly what the FAQ says!

We are currently working on a linux UT3 client that players will be able to use with the retail Windows version. As soon as it's available we'll announce it here.
                I don't understand why people didn't believe it there, but believe it slightly differently worded version here .

Originally posted by Huenengrab View Post
                WarTourist, can you tell if there'll be an (already patched!) Linux-demo?
                TBD.

Comment

Originally posted by WarTourist View Post
                  A perfectly reasonable approach for a consumer to take.
                  Isn't it, though?

But that's exactly what the FAQ says!
                  Heh... That FAQ entry was HOW old and HOW behind the official release are we at this time?

A little bit of honest delta in things with a mea culpa on the delay would go many, many miles in the PR department.

I don't understand why people didn't believe it there, but believe it slightly differently worded version here .
                  Because it's a person speaking on behalf of Epic, indicating that, no, we've not discarded it, yes, we're still working on it, and sorry, it's a bit later...for all intents and purposes. The FAQ is from NOVEMBER of last year. Which month is it right now? I'm not going to get into trying to tell a business how to handle it's PR relations- but that's a bit overmuch without something from you guys. What you're posting in here was something resembling what you needed to do to partly defuse the building bad situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post

Heh... Why do you think I called out the same behavior in the LGP DRM discussion thread. If you've got a problem with things, you need to either stick to your guns ALL THE WAY, or keep your trap shut- hypocrisy only breeds contempt and furthers the cause of the people you're trying to change or make a point to.

All in all, I've been of mixed opinions on this. I'm none too happy about the amount of delay or the mishandling of the situation by Epic. Them coming in here and saying, 'Hey, we're still working on it!' helps their position some, but they've hindered themselves with the poor handling otherwise. Right now, I'm willing to talk with them and POSSIBLY consider buying the title- but for right now, it's just little more than the time of day, metaphorically, from me.

Comment

I think this pretty much sums up how we have felt for the last 7 months after asking for an update

This "When it's done" BS has been done before and gives no credibility to if or when a product will be released.
                      Last edited by deanjo; 26 June 2008, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X