X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xav1r
    replied
    Basically buying UT3 for windows in the hopes that epic would release a linux binary was taking epic's word. And everyone knows Epic's word isnt worth much of anything, basically. It's like trusting CliffyB with the public relations of your company.
    Last edited by xav1r; 14 October 2008, 10:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• D0pamine
    replied
    Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    You bought a Windows product on the possibility that there would be a Linux version made available. Past performance does not equate to current performance- you can go on and on about "trust" and it "being broken", but all you're doing is making yourself look the fool here.
    What makes YOU judge on what looks foolish or not? that 'I work for LGP' title? Is me looking foolish the official line of LGP? Or is that your 'personal opinion' ? I have opinions too - GOBSHITE!

You.
    Bought.
    A.
    Windows.
    Title.
    Which epic state that i will need to use the GNU/Linux binaries

If there wasn't a Linux version available (and there was none promised by the release time for the Windows version- they'd indicated they'd hoped to be able to do it, but fell short of that...way short, actually, with an 11th hour problem with the Linux and MacOS versions...) at the time that you bought it, WHY did you buy it in the first place? You don't use Windows by your own admission- and I don't think it runs very well in WINE.
    I bought it because epic stated that i would need the windows version to use the native GNU/Linux binaries - 'It will rock on linux and mac too' or something to that effect

We've went on and on about this, D0pamine.
    Yes we did , that doesnt make you right though does it

All in all, you can go on and on about it- about how your "trust was broken". In the end, all you have is your misplaced trust- which is nobody's fault save your own. In the end, that's what most people are going to see. Going on about it won't change that fact. Going on about it won't make the game arrive any quicker.
    It doesnt matter if the GNU/Linux client is released tomorrow , its being burned - not so much because of the delay but because of the arrogance of certain staff at epic games. Would an apology such as - 'Epic games sincerely apologises for the delay of the linux and mac versions of ut3 , they will be released as soon as possible' have been too much ? but no we get 'you bought a windows title not our problem' - 'read the FAQ' or the best one 'here are some screenshots of what you paid for - thread closed!' . Dont think for one moment that i am the only person that feels this way , there have been a great many locked threads and infractions on this subject. This is a case of misplaced trust , I will not be making the same mistake again as epic will never have another penny from me ( LGP wont get anything to start with thanks to you Svartalf )

Leave a comment:

• MamiyaOtaru
    replied
    hah no kidding. It sort of makes sense to have bought it if you have a Windows install you can play it on in the meantime, and I'm cool with being cranky that the port is taking longer than anyone imagined. But if you don't use Windows at all, why buy it one moment before a Linux client is out?

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
    legally it doesnt matter , its a question of trust and and that trust being broken
    You bought a Windows product on the possibility that there would be a Linux version made available. Past performance does not equate to current performance- you can go on and on about "trust" and it "being broken", but all you're doing is making yourself look the fool here.

You.
    Bought.
    A.
    Windows.
    Title.

If there wasn't a Linux version available (and there was none promised by the release time for the Windows version- they'd indicated they'd hoped to be able to do it, but fell short of that...way short, actually, with an 11th hour problem with the Linux and MacOS versions...) at the time that you bought it, WHY did you buy it in the first place? You don't use Windows by your own admission- and I don't think it runs very well in WINE.

We've went on and on about this, D0pamine.

All in all, you can go on and on about it- about how your "trust was broken". In the end, all you have is your misplaced trust- which is nobody's fault save your own. In the end, that's what most people are going to see. Going on about it won't change that fact. Going on about it won't make the game arrive any quicker.

Leave a comment:

• D0pamine
    replied
    legally it doesnt matter , its a question of trust and and that trust being broken

Leave a comment:

• RobbieAB
    replied
    You purchase windows software, do you expect to get your money back because it doesn't work on a non-windows platform?

Ignore Epic, your contract is with the software vendor, and he sold you windows software. If you don't like the fact it doesn't work with Linux, go back to the vendor and complain, because the vendor is where you have a contract. And good luck with THAT as an idea.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Originally posted by EasyTarget View Post
    Epic so far hasn't failed to come through on their promise. They said the Windows disc would work when the Linux binaries came out. Although they still haven't come out, Epic has responded right here on these forums to say that it is still coming out. You said you bought it on good faith, so show some. It's no one's fault but your own that you bought it before the binaries were out.
    I personally haven't bought the game, but other people have. If I had, yes, I would actually wait a bit more. As we can see, though, the waiting is trying on people's patience, and for a game that relies on player interest (how useful would the game be if no one else was playing it?), you can't wait forever.

Ugh, you should only make analogies that actually apply. Epic never tried to "paint it green." This is more like someone saying, "Sure I'll paint it Blue for you, but I'm not exactly sure when I'll be able to." Would you have paid the someone who said that? I know I wouldn't have.
    If they were good about coming out to do it in the past, and I trusted them, sure I would. I would also expect to get my money back if they weren't able to in a reasonable time-frame.

And that analogy was directed at the argument that Epic could decide to not release binaries that work on the Windows version, but instead some other way (eg. a Linux-only DVD, or using the Mac version). For which, yes, they have every right to do that.. but at the same time, people should be able to get their money back for the purchase already made based on Epic's previous announcements.

It's not Epic's fault that a handful of people bought their software before it was compatible with their platform.
    I never said it was Epic's fault. All I said was people be able to return the game if the Linux binaries don't come out as expected (ie. using the Windows version) in a reasonable time frame.

Leave a comment:

• EasyTarget
    replied
    I've lurked around here for quite some time and I really can't stand people making these pointles arguments...

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    There is an official statement. The FAQ is done by an employee on behalf of Epic. That's official.

And again, I agree that Epic isn't required to provide binaries. All I said was that the person who bought the game based the (possibly) incorrect information provided by Epic should be allowed to return it for a refund when the deal doesn't come through as promised. This would be done at the store it was bought from, not by Epic.
    Epic so far hasn't failed to come through on their promise. They said the Windows disc would work when the Linux binaries came out. Although they still haven't come out, Epic has responded right here on these forums to say that it is still coming out. You said you bought it on good faith, so show some. It's no one's fault but your own that you bought it before the binaries were out.

EDIT:
    If you pay someone to paint your house blue for you, then when the person gets there for the job and they say "By the way, I changed my mind, I'm going to paint it green for you", would you not be allowed to break the deal and get your money back?
    Ugh, you should only make analogies that actually apply. Epic never tried to "paint it green." This is more like someone saying, "Sure I'll paint it Blue for you, but I'm not exactly sure when I'll be able to." Would you have paid the someone who said that? I know I wouldn't have. Just let it go. Other than closing/locking threads instead of providing answers in their forums, Epic has done nothing wrong here. It's not Epic's fault that a handful of people bought their software before it was compatible with their platform.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    And as previously pointed out, there is NO official statement. Epic isn't liable for not providing the Linux binaries, they didn't say when would the binaries be available, and they can always call them off...
    There is an official statement. The FAQ is done by an employee on behalf of Epic. That's official.

And again, I agree that Epic isn't required to provide binaries. All I said was that the person who bought the game based the (possibly) incorrect information provided by Epic should be allowed to return it for a refund when the deal doesn't come through as promised. This would be done at the store it was bought from, not by Epic.

EDIT:
    If you pay someone to paint your house blue for you, then when the person gets there for the job and they say "By the way, I changed my mind, I'm going to paint it green for you", would you not be allowed to break the deal and get your money back?
    Last edited by Chris; 13 October 2008, 09:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Thetargos
    replied
    And you need the WINDOWS version to be able to play with the forthcoming Linux binaries.
    And this is the key, you are placing a conditional there, which may not even be met. And as previously pointed out, there is NO official statement. Epic isn't liable for not providing the Linux binaries, they didn't say when would the binaries be available, and they can always call them off... Trying to hold Epic responsible is more like trying to hold GNU responsible for GCC causing problems that may lead to unportability of certain code, when it clearly states that THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED AS IS, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, FITNESS FOR A CERTAIN PURPOSE... etc, etc. It is the same here! Epic has provided NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND that they would release a Linux binary to use with the Windows assets!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X