X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isnt wx widgets the best ?

Comment

• If you can ignore all the problems it gives with various applications ( starting with compile whohoes and dep-hell drama )... I guess you could like it...

Comment

• Pfft. Xlib and you have no deps anyone could possibly need.

Comment

• Who needs Xlib? Just draw straight to the framebuffer, and no deps at all...

Comment

• Dep-Hell in using WX not WX using other deps. Not the first time WX broke ebuilds for no obvious reason. I simply avoid apps with WX as dep if possible. Makes me and my system more sane

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
              Dep-Hell in using WX not WX using other deps. Not the first time WX broke ebuilds for no obvious reason. I simply avoid apps with WX as dep if possible. Makes me and my system more sane
              You mean like the great FFMPEG block, or is it a simple case of revdep-rebuild?

Comment

• More like "ebuild failed to compile... bla bla bug report". FFMPEG is although also a funny ebuild causing havoc from time to time. That said there are a couple of trouble maker ebuilds around. So if you maintain a production GenToo server you better know about those guys before you do your weekly updates or else you've got a problem

That said GenToo somehow let it slip in the last years. Ebuild quality is dwindling. Can't be true that unmasked ebuilds fail to compile on default systems without specific changes. Not sure what's going on over there but if they want to stand a chance against Ubuntu they should start raising the quality bar a bit.

Comment

• horses for courses , ubuntu is easy and it works well but i wouldnt use it myself

Comment

• You mean Horse of Course. ^_^

I'm using Ubuntu on my laptop right now. I don't really like the lack of features in Gnome, and come a couple more months I'll have to upgrade the distro to Intrepid. The one thing I've liked about Gentoo, that while they may have versioned install CDs periodically (and that too has become a problem), all the systems that run it don't need to install a new system, it's already upgraded through the ebuilds.

Comment

• Uhm... Use Kubuntu, not Ubuntu. Gnome simply sucks at being a window manager . That said... can't you also just distro-upgrade through apt-get in Ubuntu?

Comment

Working...
                      X