Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's correct but buying a game just because of the engine... I would consider this fanboyism

Comment

• Then either the magazines love it, or it's just a popular engine to license.
      I see it a lot in magazines and reviews. In my recent GameInformer to be exact. The upcoming Batman game I think.

Strange. I thought Battlefield was EA's product... ^_^

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
        That's correct but buying a game just because of the engine... I would consider this fanboyism
        Well, in spite of what you might think about Epic, the unreal engine 3 is very impressive, and the game ut3 is very moddable. I myself am trying to learn Kismet and Matinee.

Comment

• Yes, it is moddable and the engine for sure is a nice thing but let's be honest: what does UT3 bring to the table which we did not have in earlier versions... and even better? Granted compared to the fiasco that 2k4 had been they got back to the roots and what made the original UT99 fun as hell but from what I gathered of this game by playtesting so far it's better than 2k4 but not deal enough to get it... at last not for me. So far nothing beats UT99 with the WarCow model and dock map with pals ( or facing earth ctf map... hail to the snipers baby ).

Comment

• You know, if that 200 copies number for Q3A Linux isn't utterly BS, then things are really odd. I bought a case for pennies on the dollar, so I had ~50 of those tins.

I find it quite difficult to believe that I personally own 1/4 of the world's supply of Q3A Linux CDs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forge View Post
              You know, if that 200 copies number for Q3A Linux isn't utterly BS, then things are really odd. I bought a case for pennies on the dollar, so I had ~50 of those tins.

I find it quite difficult to believe that I personally own 1/4 of the world's supply of Q3A Linux CDs.
              You probably bought them on liquidation, which wouldn't have counted for the 200 official retail sales. There was something on the order of 10-50k units that got out into the wild total of the tins due to liquidations of inventory from the Chapter 7 proceeding. Your case wouldn't have counted towards the actual sales figures. You might still have a sizeable number of the extant copies all the same, because most of those units didn't even get as far as being bought by you or I and were just simply destroyed.

[edit]
              I'm sure you could ask John Carmack or any of the other iD upper management how many actually sold- but the number's the one I get flung in my face often. Moreover, you don't end up with someone owing you a quarter of a million in derivative royalties on a game unless you do something like produce 10-50k units of the title and then fail to sell even a thousand or so of them. John Carmack has went on record indicating that Loki imploded while owing them somewhere around that figure- and they've not been all too inclined to make any more official Linux publishing deals with anyone since that time. That should be a hint, no?

By the by...wanna part with a tin or two? I would love to "gift" a few friends with a piece of Linux history.
              Last edited by Svartalf; 23 August 2008, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Me too!!! Me too! I want some q3a linux tin boxes!

Comment

• Seconded. I'd like to get a hold of one of these as well.
                  PM me with a price.

Comment

• Don't get too excited. I parted with the great majority as sort-of gag gifts over the intervening years. I think I have a small single digit number remaining. I'll look, and if it's more than 3 or so, I'll hand em out.

Comment

• Since I think someone mentioning the Mac version of UT3 in here, I just searched for when this was meant to be out and it seems it is hit by the delay, too. That is macsoft (the publisher behind the mac version for Unreal Tournament 3) still announces it as "the Tournament returns to macintosh this spring" (cf the UT3 minipage at their site). So in short: I think something is probably really f***ed up somewhere. I could imagine that somehow layers are involved (third party "intellectual property" anyone?) since if it were just something for the game dev like some (bigger) routine not working, it would probably have been long solved by now where you have no idea how long it might take once lawyers are involved...

Comment

Working...
                      X