Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh good god... an Epic guy. Tell your coders they messed up. Coders not able to make a "working installer" should not get a bonus
    Last edited by Dragonlord; 20 August 2008, 08:12 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for the edit

Comment

• OK, so they said it would be out a year ago? So what? If they had said nothing, and released it a year after the windows version, would people be praising them not condemning them.
        If they had said nothing, it wouldn't have been a broken promise. I don't think it's so much about "Epic not releasing a Linux client" as much as it is "Epic not providing what they said they would". I mean, when you see a popular, very looked-forward-to Windows game get delayed for several months, people bitch. At least there, though, they still get some reassurance.. "it's delayed for.. 6 months". Even if that delay changes, people are still given some indication of when to expect it. Here, what do we have? "It's delayed until.. whenever". Next month? Next year? Might it get cancelled?

That said, yes, we should be thankful for getting a Linux client at all. But I don't think the discontent is entirely unfounded.
        Last edited by Chris; 20 August 2008, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
          If they had said nothing, it wouldn't have been a broken promise. I don't think it's so much about "Epic not releasing a Linux client" as much as it is "Epic not providing what they said they would".
          So what? Ok, they said it would be out, and it isn't, so what? Live with it. Bitching isn't going to help. It's not about "They promised and didn't deliver", it's about "Do we want Linux games?". How many Linux versions are they going to sell? 500? 1000? They can just walk away from a market that small, and the amount of grief they are getting here, I wouldn't blame them for deciding that Linux gamers can keep their money.

We may want decent games for Linux, but remember, WE ARE NOT ENTITLED TO THEM! Yes, we may be willing to pay, but with the amount of pain Linux gamers seem intent on causing, why on earth is a big studio going to want to take our money? We ARE being more hassle than we are worth, and it is idiocy like this whole fiasco that is pushing companies away. People need to grow up, and see the light. We can get further by praising the good deeds, and remaining silent about the bad ones than we can by bitching out the bad deeds, and saying little about the good ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
            We ARE being more hassle than we are worth, and it is idiocy like this whole fiasco that is pushing companies away.

Show me one developer that has said ANYTHING as a sort. I can however show you many that say it's simply not financially feasible.

Comment

• Bitching isn't going to help.
              But it's human nature to do so. Why fault Linux users for bitching when Windows users would do the same thing? I dare say Windows users would be worse if they were treated this way (if for the sole reason that's there's more users and, statistically speaking, more whiners).

Does it make it right? Absolutely not. I'm also not bitching, I'm just trying to explain my perspective on it. But I also can't say I fault someone who's plopped down 50 to 60 dollars on the promise of there being a Linux client, having no update for almost a year (and counting), and thus feels slighted.

And just to be absolutely clear, I don't condone name calling, personal attacks, and the like. Especially towards those that have no say in the matter. I just don't think it's very fair to throw a blanket over it all that anyone who has a problem with how we've been treated is just an ungrateful Linux user that wants everything handed to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Show me one developer that has said ANYTHING as a sort. I can however show you many that say it's simply not financially feasible.
                I'm not quite sure what you are trying to argue here, but...

Financial feasibility is tends to go with what the people doing to study want to see. If they are already pre-disposed not to do Linux, it will always not look feasible. If they want to do a Linux port, the numbers will look different. It's all a matter of how you phrase the questions.

@Chris: It's a farce, but... Anyone who laid down the money for a copy "on the promise of there being a Linux client" has a case for breach of contract, so should sue. If they don't, well could they kindly stop bitching about the lack of a Linux client and start bitching about the fact they don't have the balls to actually demand their legal rights. Of course, if that promise didn't exist...

In general, a low level rant is one thing (hell, a high level rant is fun done properly) but what we are seeing here mostly isn't that, it's the kind of mindless arrogance that is going to push anyone who isn't committed away.

Comment

@Chris: It's a farce, but... Anyone who laid down the money for a copy "on the promise of there being a Linux client" has a case for breach of contract, so should sue. If they don't, well could they kindly stop bitching about the lack of a Linux client and start bitching about the fact they don't have the balls to actually demand their legal rights. Of course, if that promise didn't exist...
                  I can't say I know exactly what they've said. I've only been able to gleam that they've said, in some capacity, that there would be a Linux client. The UT games aren't something I follow religiously as I much prefer single player games (or limitted multiplayer, eg. a half dozen or so friends playing together), but I will occasionally jump into something like UT2k4 for a quick game.

But even if all they said was there'd very likely be a Linux client soon after release, and then strung along users saying "not yet.. soon" for 9 months, I'd expect plenty of users to be frustrated. Especially for a largely multiplayer-only game that's useless without a player base, and seeing that player base dwindle to low numbers while you're waiting to even start. And doubly so for a company that's been so friendly toward Linux in the past (remember what I've said in other threads about happy customers being repeat customers? I'd imagine *that's* why people would have bought it on good faith alone).. I'd also imagine that if/when Epic finally does deliver a Linux UT3 client and a Linux client for following titles, everyone would look back on this as a blotch in history (Epic, assuming they really are trying to appease/appeal to Linux users, for not being able to give what they promised, and Linux users for being so negative towards Epic).

In general, a low level rant is one thing (hell, a high level rant is fun done properly) but what we are seeing here mostly isn't that, it's the kind of mindless arrogance that is going to push anyone who isn't committed away.
                  Perhaps, but I don't think a single, or even a select few, forums are representative of Linux users as a whole. What was that saying..? "For every disgruntled customer, there's two that are content" ..or something like that, at least. The really angry ones will be the most likely to comment.. can't let that overshadow the quietly content/optimistic people.
                  Last edited by Chris; 20 August 2008, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Stop acting as if you are ENTITLED to Linux games.!
                    I agree but when they say there IS going to be one .. I've never asked for a COD4 client ( would be nice though ) because one was never announced as WarTourist will link you to stated claim :-

Q: Will there be a linux or Mac version of UT3?
                    A: We are currently working on a linux UT3 client that players will be able to use with the retail Windows version. As soon as it's available we'll announce it here. Work is also being done on a Mac retail version of UT3.

WarTourist , what are the odds of the linux client for this game being released before christmas 2008 ?

To me too its just a bit of fun , its great fun , better than T.V. anyway - i still want it though because i paid for it , yes i know it doesnt have a tux on the box but the FAQ which WarTourist freqently links to before locking a thread STILL states 'We are currently working on a linux UT3 client that players will be able to use with the retail Windows version' - but when? Is it a lost cause?. I mean by the time we get to play it will all the servers be ghost servers because 'its an old game'? - some sort of time frame please WarTourist!

Comment

• Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
                      I agree but when they say there IS going to be one .. I've never asked for a COD4 client ( would be nice though ) because one was never announced as WarTourist will link you to stated claim :-

Q: Will there be a linux or Mac version of UT3?
                      A: We are currently working on a linux UT3 client that players will be able to use with the retail Windows version. As soon as it's available we'll announce it here. Work is also being done on a Mac retail version of UT3.

WarTourist , what are the odds of the linux client for this game being released before christmas 2008 ?

To me too its just a bit of fun , its great fun , better than T.V. anyway - i still want it though because i paid for it , yes i know it doesnt have a tux on the box but the FAQ which WarTourist freqently links to before locking a thread STILL states 'We are currently working on a linux UT3 client that players will be able to use with the retail Windows version' - but when? Is it a lost cause?. I mean by the time we get to play it will all the servers be ghost servers because 'its an old game'? - some sort of time frame please WarTourist!
                      I dont think wartourist comes here anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X