This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Announced delays are better then leaving people to wonder what the status is.
    We disagree, but I respect your opinion.

then we were told that there was legal issues
    Not by Epic.

It's no wonder why Silicon Knights served you guys with a lawsuit for the delays and lack of promised features.
    Unnecessary. I'm trying to explain our perspective but if you're not interested I'll stop.

Comment

Originally posted by WarTourist View Post
      Unnecessary. I'm trying to explain our perspective but if you're not interested I'll stop.
      you should be prepared for these types of remarks from users that waited for your words for 8 months or so

you're a PR guy/gal or a TECHie ?

'cause either way, this remark you made is bad for Epic, if you're a PR guy/gal then you should know how ( better ) to take and handle criticism, if you're a TECHie you should know at least that words sold your games for Linux ( even UT3 at launch time ), but these words ( or the lack of ) can make a Linux version tank, not because it's bad or something, but because you already drove/frustrated the users to the edge... IMHO

Comment

Hey I would be the EXACT same way if I had bought any other software with a promise that it would be working on my system.

Say adobe came out and said "Yes CS3 will be supported in linux, you will just have to download the binaries". So I merrily go buy CS3 when it's released and wait for the binaries. Meanwhile ........ 7 months later ........ still no binaries but the f*ckers already have my money. Sure there maybe an issue or two but dammit I deserve to know what the hell is the delay because I already bought the product on good faith.

If you guys didn't want to get the backlash then you should NEVER of announced a port in the first place until it was done. Once you let the cat out of the bag, it becomes a selling feature, and expectations are set, if those expectations cannot be met then you are obligated to let the people what have already purchased your merchandise what is the delay.

If I go and pay a contractor to come put a new roof on my house, I pay him a deposit, if he doesn't come around for 7 month's don't you think I'm going to be asking "WTF?" and asking for an explanation?

If I go and buy a sound card that says it will support the next version of windows and when it comes out I still have to wait 7 months for even a first driver don't you think I'm going to be raising some hell?

Comment

I think this pretty much sums up how we have felt for the last 7 months after asking for an update

This "When it's done" BS has been done before and gives no credibility to if or when a product will be released.
          ROTFLOL!
          Thanks, I needed that.

In the end announcing things when they're guaranteed to happen generates less controversy and angst than announcing our "current plans" and having it change 15 times before the release because of standard development churn.
          Where do I start, Ugggh...

A. Lack of -updated- news, any news, generated a lot conspiracy theories. The different forums were/are full of horror (?) stories about Epic being abducted by Microsoft-using-aliens and licensing problems with UT3's DVD sticker. (To be honest, I had my money on the MS story...)

B. The deleted threads story further fuelled the speculation-war by making Epic look like it got something to hide.

C. Having Ryan C. Gordon on a short leash - instead of letting him post single-liner-updates (E.g. "Still working on it, having problems, will released when it's done") created it's share of wild speculations. (Especially given icculus standing in the Linux community)

D. Last and not lease, while it's true that Epic never claimed that there are legal problems behind the UT3 delays (icculus did, [1]) - Epic never said anything else. (Beyond the sending people to read a six month old FAQ)

We all live in the software world; we all have delays and we all have highly annoyed clients that don't really care why we are late.
          Never the less, you can either keep your clients "in the loop" and reduce the noise - or you can keep them in the dark and let them speculate. The choice was yours to make and IMHO, Epic made the wrong choice.

- Gilboa
          [1] http://planetunreal.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=145570
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

If you guys didn't want to get the backlash then you should NEVER of announced a port in the first place until it was done. Once you let the cat out of the bag, it becomes a selling feature, and expectations are set, if those expectations cannot be met then you are obligated to let the people what have already purchased your merchandise what is the delay.
            You are wrong.
            Epic did the -right- thing announcing the port but did the -wrong- thing keeping it's client in the dark as for the reasons for the delay.

- Gilboa
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Let's just say that deanjo doesn't represent everyone's view.

Thanks for dropping by and giving a word - if you could keep letting us known of small, but confirmed updates, that would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                Let's just say that deanjo doesn't represent everyone's view.

Thanks for dropping by and giving a word - if you could keep letting us known of small, but confirmed updates, that would be great.
                Agreed, thank you WarTourist.

Hope you stick around the forums

Best,
                Michael
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Welcome, Wartourist. You do understand that since the Linux client was announced, and since gone dark, you have to understand the restlessness people have with it.

Please stay around and keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Agreed, thank you WarTourist.

Hope you stick around the forums

Best,
                    Michael

Agreed here as well !

I thank very much an Epic member to dispatch information about the client status, even how thin this information can be.

Moreover, as I'm waiting UT3 linux client to change my computer (it's too old to play UT3), the more the client is delayed, the more I can get a powerfull computer for the same bucks !
                    If I had bought my computer 7 months ago, I only would have a Q6600 with some GeForce 8800.
                    Now, I'll get a Penryn Q9450 with a powerfull 4850 ATI/Opensourced driver for the same price !

Everything is fine in fact !

Comment

• Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
                      Agreed here as well !

I thank very much an Epic member to dispatch information about the client status, even how thin this information can be.

Moreover, as I'm waiting UT3 linux client to change my computer (it's too old to play UT3), the more the client is delayed, the more I can get a powerfull computer for the same bucks !
                      If I had bought my computer 7 months ago, I only would have a Q6600 with some GeForce 8800.
                      Now, I'll get a Penryn Q9450 with a powerfull 4850 ATI/Opensourced driver for the same price !

Everything is fine in fact !
                      Which will be old in 7 months, and there'll be a much more powerful computer for that exact price. Sorry, im bitter, since I have a q6600

Comment

Working...
                      X