No announcement yet.

Two PC Action Games Being Ported To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Port Steam and the Source engine and Valve is above godlike Steam just got 66 new games on it and it's getting bigger and bigger... and I could finally play my favourite game, the Kreedz Climbing mod for HL2 again (fglrx & wine & Steam = sucks).

Comment

Sorry, but now that we're talking about Steam: isn't it just a downloading tool, and not a game engine? Even if you ported Steam to Linux, wouldn't you still have to port every single game available through it individually? I've hardly ever used it myself, but I can't see what's holy-grailey about it...

Comment

Originally posted by container View Post
        Sorry, but now that we're talking about Steam: isn't it just a downloading tool, and not a game engine? Even if you ported Steam to Linux, wouldn't you still have to port every single game available through it individually? I've hardly ever used it myself, but I can't see what's holy-grailey about it...
        By and of itself, it's not holy-grailish. (Might be Monty Python and the...) With the Source Engine and Steam, comes Half Life 2 and a host of other titles that they're shipping right now through the Steam service.

To be sure, there's...issues...with Steam, but if it and Source are coming (Keep in mind that they were posting job openings for a couple of cross-platform game developers with Linux experience preferred in the last year.)...heh...it'd be nice to say the least. Who can say what will come of all of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          By and of itself, it's not holy-grailish. (Might be Monty Python and the...) With the Source Engine and Steam, comes Half Life 2 and a host of other titles that they're shipping right now through the Steam service.

To be sure, there's...issues...with Steam, but if it and Source are coming (Keep in mind that they were posting job openings for a couple of cross-platform game developers with Linux experience preferred in the last year.)...heh...it'd be nice to say the least. Who can say what will come of all of it?
          Job openings really don't mean anything as far as I can see. I read before Positech was asking about Linux porting of some of their titles. THAT NEVER MATERIALIZED.

And Steam isn't really a huge thing. It's the things being sold on Steam that should hit Linux.

Comment

At last having good commercial games being ported to linux!

OK, so now all we need is go give a major kick in the asses of ATI and NVIDIA so that they get round to program drivers which do as good (if not better) than the windows ones.

I am a ATI user (laptop : didn't have the choice) and I must say that the last ATI fglrx drivers are getting worse and worse.

I'd be happy to at last change my laptop for a new high end one and be able to play X3, but not until gfx drivers with REAL 3D support come out.

Comment

Digital Distribution is the up and coming medium. I just purchased my first game this way and if I could do this for every game in the future I would. If steam was on Linux this would make it easier for smaller companies to distribute their products to Linux users without having to worry about media production costs and selling to stores.

Comment

I think it would be wise for Steam to port to linux and have a linux game store. Ever since vista came out, a few distributions have started gaining traction and at this point it really is starting to gain more and more momentum. Not only for the home desktops and laptops, but also workstations. I think most IT managers would reconsider switching to Vista, notably due to licensing costs and hardware costs as well as office 2007 not being as fun and intuitive as 2003. Not only do I think it's bad buisness practice from MS to force their customers to upgrade, but I also think it's going to cost them a slice from the pie which will be enough to put them in a very compromising situation. It may be just a matter of time before the corporate world realises that besides an exchange server, MS has no real compelling offerings. I think a lot of credit is due to composite desktop as it shows people that a 5 year old computer can put vista's AERO to shame on a much newer system.
                If more computers are going to Linux, games are sure to follow.
                Besides, using wine and dosbox you can probably play more MS platform titles on Linux than you can with Vista.
                I'm going to buy this game regardless of the consequences for the simple fact that it's being ported to Linux. If companies can observe that porting their games to Linux can be financially viable on top of getting kudos, I don't think it will be very long before the mainstream game developpers start going for a cross platform solution. Of course, I think OpenGL 3.0 will be an important variable in this whole equasion.

Comment

Isnt it a coincidence that most games being ported to linux are from finnish companies, and linux, well, Linus Torvalds, finnish too. :P

Comment

Firefox has the biggest market share of all europe in Finland too, I think. Like 50%.

Comment

Yea, and where is openGL 3.0, it's been MIA for a while now.

Comment

Working...
                      X