Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two PC Action Games Being Ported To Linux

Phoronix: Two PC Action Games Being Ported To Linux

It has been nearly four months since Unreal Tournament 3 first shipped for the PC, while the Linux client is still missing in action due to software legal issues. At the same time, Linux Game Publishing is running late on delivering their Linux ports of both Bandits: Phoenix Rising and X3: Reunion. Over the past couple of quarters it's definitely been an unpleasant time for the Linux commercial gaming scene, but this week there is good news coming out of Finland and that is two games -- both relatively new to the marketplace -- being ported to Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Discussion also @ http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...newpost&t=8361
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Small typo, Finish-based should read Finnish-based..

Comment

These two games actually look ok. Might be worth checking out when they get released for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Small typo, Finish-based should read Finnish-based..
          Oops, fixed. Thanks.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Looks like I'll have to get the game: I'm Finnish and a Linux user. I also like the idea of indicating to the game companies that if they make Linux ports, it's actually worth the finance and the time, because people will actually buy the game more.

Furthermore, free operating systems (namely Linux) aren't spreading very fast because kids can't play games on them. Of course, if all the people switched to Linux first, then all game companies would release their games for that platform. Users would make the decision first, and as a result, software houses would adapt to that. But people don't have that kind of faith; they would prefer to see all games and software available on Linux FIRST. And of course, usually software isn't ported to Linux because nobody uses it. This may be a bit cynical, but people as users aren't themselves really capable of switching to a free OS, but the software companies could make it happen by providing multi-platform software first. I see this game porting project as a small step in the advancement of a free OS as well.

Also, when I get the game, it'll be interesting to see how well it works on my Hardy box that has a Radeon and fglrx.

Comment

I'll be getting it too, I'm interested.

Comment

I just noticed something interesting while I was updating my Sins of a Solar Empire. Apparently you can also download this game using Stardock Central's Totalgaming.net. It does not seem likely that they would port over this application. However, it shows that they are willing to use other means of digital distribution.

Still it would seem very likely that steam is being ported to Linux, for this and perhaps other games. After all, why would they port Steam for one game?
                Last edited by KohlyKohl; 15 March 2008, 12:39 PM.

Comment

well, i think that steam on linux would be the holy grail for linux. there are so many games available through steam. ea could easyly follow...

Comment

Nice article... it's ones like these that are the reason I joined up on this site in the first place. The game looks good, and if there's any way I'll be able to get the game then I will.

Comment

Working...
                    X