Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    no. question is how well it runs on radeonsi
    I'd assume they'll require OpenGL 4.x to have the visual quality on par with DirectX10/11. My guess is that it won't run on Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      I'd assume they'll require OpenGL 4.x to have the visual quality on par with DirectX10/11. My guess is that it won't run on Mesa.
      Probably Mesa will have OGL4 support long before any linux game with this engine comes out. One of the devs posted here a few days (weeks?) ago saying that it's almost finished.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
        Chris Roberts stated in one of his VLOGs that the delays from crytek on the engine side are the reason why they still haven't been able to get Star Citizen going on Linux. It was actually one of the achieved stretch goals on the kick-starter campaign.
        If Chris Roberts had a stretch goal to do X then I think it's fair to say that it was their responsibility to ensure that X happened - if they ultimately say "Crytek didn't do X!" then they're passing the buck for the implementation whilst taking money for the promise of that same implementation.

It's also worth remembering that at the moment Catalyst and the NVidia binary driver support a higher version of OpenGL on Linux than they do on MacOS X. I'd be surprised if this wasn't related to the decision to release a Linux client before a MacOS X client.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
          If Chris Roberts had a stretch goal to do X then I think it's fair to say that it was their responsibility to ensure that X happened - if they ultimately say "Crytek didn't do X!" then they're passing the buck for the implementation whilst taking money for the promise of that same implementation.
          The game isn't finished yet. All he said was that they weren't focusing on linux support yet since CryEngine didn't support it yet, and that in the long run if CryEngine abandoned OpenGL they would still support Linux through Vulkan.

He actually hired several senior CryEngine devs out of Crytek to modify the engine for his game, as apparently Crytek is having some funding issues and he's got plenty of money to spare on developing the engine further.
          Last edited by smitty3268; 08 May 2015, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Star citizen never had a stretch goal for Linux, however Chris Roberts confirmed a Linux version shortly after Crytec announced their engine would be coming to Linux.

Comment

Working...
            X