There's Now More Than 1,100 Games On Steam For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
    the problem with linux gaming today is the garbage amd drivers, ppl with amd have a nightmare experience with steam linux, running dota 2 or cs go with amd is horrible, with intel or nvidia no big difference from windows
    problem with linux gaming today is morons who insist on using blobs, but not just go and use windows. ppl with amd mesa drivers have wonderful experience with steam linux

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Yeah, versioned, in theory. In practice libstdc++ in GCC 5.1 has the same soname as libstdc++ in GCC 4.0.
      so you have zero knowledge about versioning and you spamming forums with uninformed bullshit

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        no, the problem is that they are older than you system libs and they are loaded first, so your mesa driver will get these old libs when it was compiled with newer ones and obviously old libs will miss some new symbols. it has nothing to do with backwards compat and valve is aware and will fix it eventually
        They can fix it by just not bundling those old Ubuntu system libraries. They're completely unnecessary - they cause problems simply by existing, and no problems appear to be created by deleting them.

Seriously, I'm not sure why they do this, since most projects are actually pretty good at preserving ABI compatibility going back a long, long way... binaries compiled ten years ago will still run fine on a modern distro. I've got a number of binary apps (mostly old Loki Games ports from 2000 or so) that work fine on recent Fedora (as of about a year ago) once you track down a few libraries that nobody bothers packaging anymore.

Comment

problem with linux gaming today is morons who insist on using blobs, but not just go and use windows. ppl with amd mesa drivers have wonderful experience with steam linux
          Go figure...been using AMD blob for a long time (OpenCL coding..I need 2.0 ) and use this computer for gaming too...been running several games games including Dota2 without any problems a long time too...

(What I find funny is that I can read things like: "Metro: Last Light is unplayable with the AMD binary blob" when I just had finished the game using the binary blob... Probably I got lucky then... )

Comment

zero because one lib provides both apis
            Yes it's dual ABI but then why are distros talking about needing to recompile all their packages that link to that C++ library when the new ABI is enabled?

This is the most troubling part I read:

However, when another DSO such as libboost_filesystem.so is compiled with GCC 5 it will be compiled using either the old ABI or the new one, but not both, and programs linking to that DSO will usually need to use the same ABI to avoid linker errors. The C++ libraries that are part of Fedora 22 will be built using the old ABI, but they will be built using the new ABI in Fedora 23. Developers might need to recompile their programs using the new ABI in order to link to C++ libraries in Fedora 23. Similarly, developers who use the _GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI macro to override the default might need to rebuild other libraries they depend on to ensure those libraries are also built with the non-default ABI.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124
              Tell it to my Nvidia GPU, it struggles to get 20fps with mesa, 100 with blob. I won't buy AMD Card because they don't give a fuck about non AAA DX9 games.
              i don't care what excuse you use for buying most linux unfriendly videocard

original post was about amd hardware, so why are you posting it anyway?

Comment

Re: There's Now More Than 1,100 Games On Steam For Linux

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                How many Steam Linux games do you own?
                Just 20 I'm afraid: http://pasteboard.co/2PBXMY04.png
                I'm a big fan of Linux gaming but not a fan of indie titles. To me they feel like bringing my computer back to the 90s...even though I totally respect and encourage the developers behind them.
                Bioshock Infinite, Metro and Euro Truck Simulator did a great job on the Linux port. I wish more AAA titles could run that smoothly on the penguin.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                What game(s) are you hoping to see on Linux next?
                Project CARS, Batman Arkham Knight and The Witcher 3 of course !! Oh, and Elder Scrolls VI would be a dream as well !

pCARS is going to be HUGE. I guess we could even start to call it a 5A game. They invested so much on it (4+ years?) and if they keep the promise of delivering a SteamOS+Linux port, I'm not gonna boot my PC in Windows anymore

I also wish houses like Ubisoft will start considering Linux at some point. In my opinion, who doesn't is a fool.
                The major 3D angines are Linux ready, so they should be adopted for full cross-platform coverage.

On the other hand, the sad not on Linux is that most AAA games rely on proprietary binaries from nVidia and AMD.
                Not even talking about Intel drivers, which are still years behind the current state of the art of OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                  Yes it's dual ABI but then why are distros talking about needing to recompile all their packages that link to that C++ library when the new ABI is enabled?
                  when you pass abi-dependent object from module compiled with one abi to module, compiled with other one, it can fail(because it will expect one type but will get another one, i.e. it is a typesafety breakage). it does not apply to steam runtime case because steam runtime does not pass c++ objects to mesa drivers.

Comment

More than 1,100 games for Linux on Steam. None playable.

Horrible performance compared to Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Hash View Post
                      More than 1,100 games for Linux on Steam. None playable.

Horrible performance compared to Windows.
                      ...and this is simply not true...*SIGH*

Comment

Working...
                      X