Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C4 Game Engine Continues Supporting Linux

Phoronix: C4 Game Engine Continues Supporting Linux

At the beginning of the year was the announcement of the C4 Engine dropping Linux support with its lead developer referring to Linux as "Frankenstein OS" and citing numerous difficulties with Linux. However, quietly this game engine seems to be back to supporting Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It seems he lernt to install and to use Ubuntu. Gratz.

Comment

Originally posted by Modu View Post
      It seems he lernt to install and to use Ubuntu. Gratz.
      Can't agree more.
      I mean, i am NOT Ubuntu, not even Debian deriviate user. Yet i benefit greatly from Steam.
      I'd rather those guys dumped support all in all. I really don't believe they will do good ports of their games to Linux, their sales will fail as result and they come back bitching more. We have seen it before a lot. It's loose loose for devs and us, Linux users.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
        Can't agree more.
        I mean, i am NOT Ubuntu, not even Debian deriviate user. Yet i benefit greatly from Steam.
        I'd rather those guys dumped support all in all. I really don't believe they will do good ports of their games to Linux, their sales will fail as result and they come back bitching more. We have seen it before a lot. It's loose loose for devs and us, Linux users.
        Yep, just adding some more agreement. From memory, the guy struggled to install Linux, right? What hope would they have of developing for the system if they struggle to install it? I'll stick with people like Ethan, Ryan, Aspyr, Feral, of course Valve, and all decent developers, thanks.

Comment

Godot provides a huge set of common tools, so you can just focus on making your game without reinventing the wheel.

These engines have supported GNU/Linux for a longer time and are free (both as in price and as in freedom), give them a try.

Comment

The problem is that game devs who want to target Linux would now have to trust that he won't pull support again in the future.

I think he really shot himself in the foot with this one. There's decent competition for game development tools, and now his tool is stained with mistrust about cross-platform due to his ill-informed rant.

Well, now he has a chance to earn back the trust with kick-ass Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
              http://godotengine.org/

These engines have supported GNU/Linux for a longer time and are free (both as in price and as in freedom), give them a try.
              Not to mention ogre3d, irrlicht, BGE, darkplaces, tesserract, enaengine and countless others that not only have more features, but also have a much larger userbase and better support.

Comment

While I agree that dropping Linux support over something so stupid as installation problems was a big mistake, I have to be fair and say that as an engine, C4 is actually very good. I have a license, and I've seen the source code, and it really is very well designed and clean. I never had problems with crashes, everything always worked correctly, and it was FAST. Aside from the incident with the Linux installation, the developer has always been very professional and provided incredibly good support. Every one of the other engines mentioned so far in this thread cannot touch C4, not even close, not in features, not in stability, not in speed, and definitely not in the cleanliness of the source code and overall elegance of the architecture. If you haven't used C4 yourself, as a licensee, then you can't honestly give an opinion to the contrary. I know everyone just wants to dogpile on this guy, but he does still deserve some respect for what he has created. The Linux support is back now, and the latest release of the engine even includes a couple of Linux specific improvements, so it's not just there for show with no intention of keeping up to date.

Comment

That was the most unexciting screenshot I've ever seen.

Comment

C4 Game Engine Continues Supporting Linux

While I agree that dropping Linux support over something so stupid as installation problems was a big mistake, I have to be fair and say that as an engine, C4 is actually very good. I have a license, and I've seen the source code, and it really is very well designed and clean. I never had problems with crashes, everything always worked correctly, and it was FAST. Aside from the incident with the Linux installation, the developer has always been very professional and provided incredibly good support. Every one of the other engines mentioned so far in this thread cannot touch C4, not even close, not in features, not in stability, not in speed, and definitely not in the cleanliness of the source code and overall elegance of the architecture. If you haven't used C4 yourself, as a licensee, then you can't honestly give an opinion to the contrary. I know everyone just wants to dogpile on this guy, but he does still deserve some respect for what he has created. The Linux support is back now, and the latest release of the engine even includes a couple of Linux specific improvements, so it's not just there for show with no intention of keeping up to date.

Comment

Working...
                    X