How Far Valve Has Come: Three Years Ago They Needed OpenGL Linux Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Far Valve Has Come: Three Years Ago They Needed OpenGL Linux Help

Phoronix: How Far Valve Has Come: Three Years Ago They Needed OpenGL Linux Help

While these days there's more than 1,000 Linux games on Steam, just three years ago in their early Source Engine porting process they were barely able to get good frame-rates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When someone would tell me three years ago that I will play AAA games on Linux, I wouldn't believe it. I'm playing AAA games now.

Comment

I've been gaming on Linux since Wine 1.1.x, so I can really attest to how much improvement has come to Linux via Valve and other vendors in the last year or so.

And, I'm not opposed to using Wine in any way (I'm after results), but native gaming-oriented attention to Linux is definitely welcomed and appreciated.

I hope that this trend continues into the future so that I may see equivalent, or more, annual improvement on this front. Though it does seem difficult to overcome that mark moving forward, as from my perspective this last year has been equivalent to at least the five years' prior progress.

So I'm offering a quite genuine thanks to all those involved, including proprietary vendors and open source enthusiasts.

Comment

Originally posted by Greijoan View Post
        When someone would tell me three years ago that I will play AAA games on Linux, I wouldn't believe it. I'm playing AAA games now.
        And most importantly, some of these 'AAA' games are being released same day. Granted Dying Light had (has?) some serious performance issues, but from what I understand it does on Windows as well. It is becoming awesome to not have to dual-boot as much to play something. Started up Metro 2033 Redux on Linux, and it plays quite smoothly. Great times ahead!

Now if only things like the 'sega megadrive classics' would get ported over to Linux. Granted there are emulators for such things, but it'd be nice to have it all hooked through 'big picture' mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Greijoan View Post
          Now for free AAA games (as in freedom, not necessarily in price)?

Comment

I am mostly looking forward to the VR headset Valve is developing together with HTC. I am also very excited about the Wayland based VR compositors that will inevitably show up. And Source2 of course, which will probably be VR ready and Vulkan based. There are two things I am a bit worried about:

1. Whether OpenVR will be open-source or not because an open API will be very important for non gaming VR applications.

2. Will we have access to Source2s source code like we have with the UE4 engine or will it be like other engines.

Comment

Valve is a bit slow

I was waiting for the steam machine but ended up with PS4 instead. I don't think I would buy any steam machine in the near future though I have 30+ games in my steam library. And I started to buy steam games after their Linux client release.
              Last edited by Timeus; 30 March 2015, 11:46 AM.

Comment

What do you think everyone is looking forward to?

I'll give you a hint: It begins with the letter H, it has L in it, and it ends with the number that comes after number 2. (The last one is obviously the most tricky part for Valve.)

Comment

Originally posted by Timeus View Post
                  I was waiting for the steam machine but ended up with PS4 instead. I don't think I would buy any steam machine in the near future though I have 30+ games in my steam library. And I started to buy steam games after their Linux client release.
                  At least you choose the PS4. On the GoL website it was said a certain developer was better able to make a Linux port as a consequence of making a PS4 port... and IMO the PS4 is better in every way than the alternatives on the market.

I'd much rather have a Steam Machine, but the wait is very tempting to get something that can be used now. The one thing that holds me back is noticing the low resolution or lack of AA in console games. You can't unsee that after playing on PC. 4K TVs just make it all worse.

Comment

I'm looking forward for valve to support their own operating system with their software.

* Dota2 workshop tools. They were released 7 Aug, 2014 and are still windows-only. Without it you can't play the by now 392 custom games windows users have been creating and playing for months: https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/...eadytouseitems

* Steam Broadcasting / Live Streaming. Introduced Dec 2, 2014. Windows only.

* It's only a small thing, but the "HelloVR" test application for steam vr: https://steamcommunity.com/games/250...48846158885579. Windows only.

It's nice that they do support linux with their AAA games, but still.. I got a weird feeling that they keep creating windows-only stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X