Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow Warrior Is Being Released For Linux Next Week

Phoronix: Shadow Warrior Is Being Released For Linux Next Week

The Shadow Warrior remake of the 1997 3D Realms' game of the same name is seeing its native Linux release next week! The remake of Shadow Warrior has been out since 2013 by Flying Wild Hog while next week will mark its debut for Linux and OS X...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm. I picked that up when one of GOG.com's insomnia sales had an insane (~85%) discount on it. I wonder how long it'll be before non-Steam users get access to the Linux port.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
      Hmm. I picked that up when one of GOG.com's insomnia sales had an insane (~85%) discount on it. I wonder how long it'll be before non-Steam users get access to the Linux port.
      Developers also posted this info: https://www.facebook.com/ShadowWarri...46823415448251

A lot of people asked about GOG there. So may be they'll comment. It's a bit annoying Steam always gets the prime attention when some release is mentioned, but I guess it's the result of its size.
      Last edited by shmerl; 27 March 2015, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        It's a bit annoying Steam always gets the prime attention when some release is mentioned, but I guess it's the result of its size.
        I honestly think it's actually rightfully deserved. Their platform is the one seriously pushing for Linux adoption worldwide. For GOG, it looks and feels like an afterthought. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate GOG's support and I'm glad they are working on it, but it is pretty apparent who's really serious in this market. I would actually put Desura on top before GOG, due to their long standing Linux support

Comment

heh and I still think the original is awesome.

Better than duke nukem imo...

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            Developers also posted this info: https://www.facebook.com/ShadowWarri...46823415448251

A lot of people asked about GOG there. So may be they'll comment. It's a bit annoying Steam always gets the prime attention when some release is mentioned, but I guess it's the result of its size.
            I bet there is some sort of incentive program from Valve to developers on Steam, for porting existing popular titles to SteamOS (Linux). Also GOG has just recently started supporting Linux, they said for years that they wouldn't support Linux because of the Variations in Distro's/etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Phexe View Post
              I bet there is some sort of incentive program from Valve to developers on Steam, for porting existing popular titles to SteamOS (Linux).
              Never heard, I rather think they simply support steamos and compatible. Great to get games on Linux, looking forward for Project Cars.

Comment

I think if anything it's more along the lines of 'hey, we can have our game released on a 'console' without actually having to be MS/Sony/Nintendo's b!@#$. They're already paying for the privilege of being on Steam, and the hope that the steam machines pick up I would think would be a pretty nice opportunity for making more money from the same game.

And even if the Steam Machines don't become popular, once a game has been out for a few months, most people have played it and moved on, but if you suddenly release it for a new platform, you get all the people that coudn't play it before, plus bring some attention back to those that didn't play it the first time around.

I know I've ended up buying a ton of games just because they were released for Linux... now if only I had time to play 'em...

Comment

So nobody noticed that this was done as part of Humble Indie Bundle 14?
                  Pay what you want. Support charity. Get awesome games.

Both DRM Free versions and Steam keys are available.

Comment

I did, I bought it already? Haven't tried it out yet though. This humble bundle I think had every game for Linux again.

Comment

Working...
                    X