BioShock Infinite Linux Gaming Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
    1. Be thankful any interest at all was made for a Linux port. It's fine to be wary of bad ports but the lack of acceptance is totally unreasonable.
    There is many reasons to not give any money to company that pushing "proprietary Wine". It's not just about performance.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Does eon load an unmodified windows .exe and translate it, or is the game recompiled against native eon libs?
      It loads a unmodified exe (except you call packaging the exe in an archive modifying it). The company behind eON itself says that:

It is a fully native implementation of essential Windows technologies
      providing a fully-optimised and native runtime for each game
      It is also possible to deliver a Windows-based game to these platforms without source code
      (Source: http://www.vpltd.com/services/ )

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
        Once bitten, twice shy.
        You don't happen to read Mahou Tsukai no Yome do you? It released a chapter titled that today and I almost never see that phrase so it seems an odd coincidence to me.

Comment

Yes, it uses eON. Yes, it detects Windows XP SP3 as the OS.... But so far in testing seems to be the best eON port so far.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

This is literally one of the least accepting communities I've ever seen...

1. Be thankful any interest at all was made for a Linux port. It's fine to be wary of bad ports but the lack of acceptance is totally unreasonable.
            2. Has anyone played The Witcher 2 within the past three months? It might have taken awhile but it's in an acceptable state.
            3. You have no idea what the cause of performance loss is in any proprietary game (and it's not easy to pinpoint such issues regardless). Stop making assumptions like you have any clue what you're talking about.
            4. The game (BS:I) is reported to run incredibly smoothly. From what little gameplay I can experience until I get graphical stalling issues, I get maxed FPS in maxed graphical settings.

Stop being so goddamn unreasonable.
            I agree. Although I can't seem to get Bioshock to start.. It seems that it may be a problem with XFS or BTRFS as I have Steam on BTRFS and my home partition is XFS, but who knows. Hope it gets a fix...

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
              There is many reasons to not give any money to company that pushing "proprietary Wine". It's not just about performance.
              Aside from that it has no relation to WINE at all except it's potential uses... If you have issues with proprietary, why the hell are you discussing the game at all?
              From my perspective, they seem to be pushing a solution that works both for me and themselves. It seems to work so I don't get what your problem is.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Yes, it uses eON. Yes, it detects Windows XP SP3 as the OS.... But so far in testing seems to be the best eON port so far.
                And I'm very happy with the sound of that. Witcher 2 worked great for me in both of playthroughs, and if this is better than that, then it sounds pretty good to me.

I remember a time when people were asking for as little as officially supported wine packages for games. Now we have something like eon that is getting tailored per game by people that clearly know what they are doing. GOOD THING.

Comment

Aside from that it has no relation to WINE at all except it's potential uses... If you have issues with proprietary, why the hell are you discussing the game at all?
                  I don't have issues with proprietary games as there is no other choice available for now.

Though I'm don't like Wine too as it's bad solution compared to native ports, but at least it's open source and backed by several companies. In same time this eON thingy is proprietary which make it worse than Wine. When this company go out of business there will be nobody who'll able to continue support of their "wrapped versions".

Comment

EON is a native linux binary. Yes, it fetches game logic from a windows exe, as a data file. How is this different from e.g. Unity, which also gets game logic from data files and requires no coding at all? Haters gonna hate...

Actually people everywhere report Infinite runs fantastic, better than most native ports.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                      EON is a native linux binary.
                      Wine is native linux binary too.

Comment

Working...
                      X