BioShock Infinite Now Available For Linux, Demands Binary Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    OGL 4.2 is pretty reasonable, at least if the game actually takes advantage of it. Hopefully it'll be available soon.

I'm not sure I'll get this game though. Bioshock 1 was incomparably the most over-rated game I have ever played. It had nice graphics, voice acting, and level design. The overall concept and bioshock universe was cool. The story was just simply "good", but not great. Everything else was bad, and playing the game felt like a chore. I might consider getting Bioshock Infinite, since that does seem to have some significant improvements. I might have to check some reviews later.
    I personally liked it. the colors in the game are awesome.. I own this game in steam and don't have an option to install. May be later i guess..

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      it seems that Intel and AMD just don't care to invest money into making Mesa truly competitive.
      they will support 4.2 later this year
      I mean, hell, I was just compiling a list of games today in my Steam library that just outright don't start on radeonsi 10.5.1 - so far its Natural Selection 2, Torchlight 2, Dust, Planetary Annihilation and Rogue Legacy.
      i am playing torchlight 2 right now on fedora radeonsi r9 280. pa starts successfully and even has cursor bug fixed, others i don't have installed. at least on fedora many steam games will fail to run until you delete few libraries from steam runtime.

Comment

We have been stuck on 3.3 for over almost a year and a half. I might be so old I'll forget why I was waiting in the first place before 4.2 hits Mesa...

I'm legitimately stumped on how to fix this. I've exclusively bought AMD and Intel GPUs for the last four years, and try to decry using Nvidia or proprietary drivers all the time, but it seems that Intel and AMD just don't care to invest money into making Mesa truly competitive. It obviously needs way more developers on both sides than they have now, but there is nowhere for me to "put my money where my mouth is" on this one, because no company is taking freedom respecting GPUs seriously enough.

I mean, hell, I was just compiling a list of games today in my Steam library that just outright don't start on radeonsi 10.5.1 - so far its Natural Selection 2, Torchlight 2, Dust, Planetary Annihilation and Rogue Legacy. And now I'm spending all day looking for where I should even report the crash logs because the game developers won't care, so I kind of have to th
        row them on the freedesktop bug tracker.
        torrchlight2 5

Huh? Radeonsi mesa 10.5 opensuse tumbleweed 50fps everything maxed. Hd7950 core2quad 3ghz.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post

i am playing torchlight 2 right now on fedora radeonsi r9 280. pa starts successfully and even has cursor bug fixed, others i don't have installed. at least on fedora many steam games will fail to run until you delete few libraries from steam runtime.
          I guess you meant Torchlight 1 cursor stuck bug? You need early sdl2 to replace for it to work.

Torchlight 2 works fine on radeonsi, dunno what prob with it zanny have

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
            sorry i wont buy another eON game. I want native linux portings. Maybe i'll buy batman and shadow of mordor if they are native.
            so, you enjoy Dying light or most Unity games? compared to those even Witcher 2 performs like a fucking rockstar

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
              sorry i wont buy another eON game. I want native linux portings. Maybe i'll buy batman and shadow of mordor if they are native.
              Why not? The first impressions might have been bad, now The Witcher 2 runs almost on parity with the windows version, and even on AMD hardware. That's something close to a miracle. (And usually native ports don't run better either.)

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                Why not? The first impressions might have been bad, now The Witcher 2 runs almost on parity with the windows version, and even on AMD hardware. That's something close to a miracle. (And usually native ports don't run better either.)
                True that, however it took something like 4 months between my purchase of the game and time when I could actually play it (maybe i'm picky, but ~20fps regardless of resolution or settings on 640M nvidia blob was NOT playable).
                We can hardly talk about parity, but I have to give it to EON guys for delivering on their promises to improve the situation (last 3 or 4 beta releases fixed most bugs, crashes and horrendous fps).
                Last edited by Guest; 17 March 2015, 05:26 PM.

Comment

This is great news. I hope they continue to improve this. I already bought this, but I am going to install it on my Linux system now.

Comment

Anyone knows why you have to have a radeon hd 7000 + ? This game petry sure run perfect with lower generations cards, no?

Comment

Sounds fair to me. As long as there's no whitelisting/blacklisting but just feature requirements, we only have ourselves to blame if OSS drivers don't work

Comment

Working...
                      X