BioShock Infinite Now Available For Linux, Demands Binary Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioShock Infinite Now Available For Linux, Demands Binary Graphics Drivers

Phoronix: BioShock Infinite Now Available For Linux, Demands Binary Graphics Drivers

BioShock Infinite is now available to Linux gamers... assuming you're okay with using the binary AMD and NVIDIA Linux graphics drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If anyone is dissatisfied about the driver support, they should stop complaining and create better drivers. Somehow, the RMS extremists still are going to make this Nvidia's fault.
    Software should always be made to match the specs, if the drivers don't follow the specs then the drivers should be fixed, not the other software.

Comment

I think 4.2 is a very reasonable target as Intel Mesa is very nearly there anyhow

Comment

Seeing as how there is no linux sale I think I'll just wait for mesa to hit 4.2 before I buy.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
          Software should always be made to match the specs, if the drivers don't follow the specs then the drivers should be fixed, not the other software.
          Thank you Captain Obvious.

Comment

If anyone is dissatisfied about the driver support, they should stop complaining and create better drivers. Somehow, the RMS extremists still are going to make this Nvidia's fault.
            Yeah, free software extremists should work for graphics hardware companies, for free! That way, they will be able to reap all the benefits of having open source drivers without the need of being responsible for any problems!

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
              Seeing as how there is no linux sale I think I'll just wait for mesa to hit 4.2 before I buy.
              We have been stuck on 3.3 for over almost a year and a half. I might be so old I'll forget why I was waiting in the first place before 4.2 hits Mesa...
              Yeah, free software extremists should work for graphics hardware companies, for free! That way, they will be able to reap all the benefits of having open source drivers without the need of being responsible for any problems!
              I'm legitimately stumped on how to fix this. I've exclusively bought AMD and Intel GPUs for the last four years, and try to decry using Nvidia or proprietary drivers all the time, but it seems that Intel and AMD just don't care to invest money into making Mesa truly competitive. It obviously needs way more developers on both sides than they have now, but there is nowhere for me to "put my money where my mouth is" on this one, because no company is taking freedom respecting GPUs seriously enough.

I mean, hell, I was just compiling a list of games today in my Steam library that just outright don't start on radeonsi 10.5.1 - so far its Natural Selection 2, Torchlight 2, Dust, Planetary Annihilation and Rogue Legacy. And now I'm spending all day looking for where I should even report the crash logs because the game developers won't care, so I kind of have to throw them on the freedesktop bug tracker.
              Last edited by zanny; 17 March 2015, 03:26 PM.

Comment

OGL 4.2 is pretty reasonable, at least if the game actually takes advantage of it. Hopefully it'll be available soon.

I'm not sure I'll get this game though. Bioshock 1 was incomparably the most over-rated game I have ever played. It had nice graphics, voice acting, and level design. The overall concept and bioshock universe was cool. The story was just simply "good", but not great. Everything else was bad, and playing the game felt like a chore. I might consider getting Bioshock Infinite, since that does seem to have some significant improvements. I might have to check some reviews later.

Comment

of course it is nvidia's fault, it is their hardware. so, smart people buy amd videocards.

Comment

sorry i wont buy another eON game. I want native linux portings. Maybe i'll buy batman and shadow of mordor if they are native.

Comment

Working...
                    X