Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTC & Valve Partnered Up For The Steam VR Headset

Phoronix: HTC & Valve Partnered Up For The Steam VR Headset

Valve teamed up with hardware manufacturer HTC to produce the HTC Revive, a.k.a. the SteamVR Headset...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please make this at least comparable to rift so that i don't have to purchase from facebook... And please keep to your release schedule. The amount of delays with oculus is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
      Please make this at least comparable to rift so that i don't have to purchase from facebook... And please keep to your release schedule. The amount of delays with oculus is ridiculous.
      Nobody has to release unless everybody else does. If everybody else releases first, then you miss out. If you release early by yourself but then you make a crappy product, everybody will switch to alternatives. I suppose they wanted to make sure it was good first.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
        Since the Rift has only one screen the resolution of the SteamVR will be better I guess. 90 Hz and Laser position tracking with 1/10th of a degree resolution also sounds pretty good. SteamVR will probably also have much better Linux support. Oculus doesn't really care about its Linux SDK. They promised it when they sold the DK2, but it took them ages to release it.

Comment

YES! I lie down for 1 hour and this happens! Here is the announcment, watching it right now:
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

EDIT: Ok, not much informatin in there
          Last edited by Maxjen; 01 March 2015, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I wonder if they chose 90Hz to help with motion sickness or headaches. Or, maybe to give some leverage over the Rift in a PC-specific platform. The Rift seems to be very generic - attempting to support all platforms (though primarily PC). Steam's/HTC's headset is definitely PC focused. It seems to operate pretty much the same way as the Rift so I'm guessing there shouldn't be any compatibility issues; I'm sure any visual designed for one will look good on the other.

Comment

I think HTC owns some of failed GPU manufacturers. Savage or Volari, I don't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
                I think HTC owns some of failed GPU manufacturers. Savage or Volari, I don't remember.
                S3 Graphics (Savage) is indeed owned by HTC.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I wonder if they chose 90Hz to help with motion sickness or headaches. Or, maybe to give some leverage over the Rift in a PC-specific platform. The Rift seems to be very generic - attempting to support all platforms (though primarily PC). Steam's/HTC's headset is definitely PC focused. It seems to operate pretty much the same way as the Rift so I'm guessing there shouldn't be any compatibility issues; I'm sure any visual designed for one will look good on the other.
                  The Rift is also going to do at least 90Hz.

Comment

this might be a strange question, but since i never had chance to play with any VR goggles... how does it play out if one needs glasses?

Comment

Working...
                    X