Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenMW 0.34 Released With Many Changes

Phoronix: OpenMW 0.34 Released With Many Changes

Making it out in time for some holiday open-source gaming is OpenMW, the open-source engine re-implementation of Elderscrolls III: Morrowind...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The last time I used OpenMW was about 6 months ago and there seemed to be quite a bit that didn't work as expected. Just had a go through the starting area just now and everything worked very well. Kudos to the devs, you've worked hard and now we can see the product. That being said I do wonder what else is left to get them up to version 1.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
      The last time I used OpenMW was about 6 months ago and there seemed to be quite a bit that didn't work as expected. Just had a go through the starting area just now and everything worked very well. Kudos to the devs, you've worked hard and now we can see the product. That being said I do wonder what else is left to get them up to version 1.
      There has been a thread on the openmw forums some time ago discussing just that: https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.p...tart=20#p29322

Note that some of those features have already been implemented, e.g. "Drowning when knocked out in water", "NPC lookAt controller" and "NiStencilProperty". There really isn't that much left until they can release version 1.0

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
        They should submit it for paid-open-source app on Steam. I'd buy it. Except, I only play Steam now because I'm locked to some games I paid to much for. So maybe GoG too =)
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
          They should submit it for paid-open-source app on Steam. I'd buy it. Except, I only play Steam now because I'm locked to some games I paid to much for. So maybe GoG too =)
          I'm not sure if Steam lets you have a hard dependency on another developers game. It would need to require you to have Morrowind as well, and would need to download the data files only.

It would be interesting if the developers could make a deal with Bethesda to sell OpenMW and split the proceeds as a Morrowind Enhanced Edition or something. It would be amazing and might spark a revolution in business practices where free software communities may be able to talk to developers about making a modernized open engine for their game and then split the proceeds when they sell it bundled on Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
            I'm not sure if Steam lets you have a hard dependency on another developers game. It would need to require you to have Morrowind as well, and would need to download the data files only.

It would be interesting if the developers could make a deal with Bethesda to sell OpenMW and split the proceeds as a Morrowind Enhanced Edition or something. It would be amazing and might spark a revolution in business practices where free software communities may be able to talk to developers about making a modernized open engine for their game and then split the proceeds when they sell it bundled on Steam.
            That's essentially what I am alluding to. I believe it has happened before as well, but mostly with apps. BethSoft/ZeniMax however isn't exactly in the business of giving their money away to anyone. Hopefully GoG's success can show the way, however. Still waiting on a lot of my games to be linux compatible through GoG.
            Hi

Comment

Working...
            X