Civilization: Beyond Earth Launches For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
    Except that this is not the same engine when it comes to rendering, as thsi one doesn't support DX9 rendering. So no, it is not just a glorified plugin.
    So they re-wrote it from scratch, or what ?
    Please, do explain, I'm a software engineer with 15 years of experience, including OpenGL.
    How can you add something on an existing, working piece of software that breaks it ? Why can't they use the older rendering backend on Linux. What part of BE's gameplay, or the terrain rendering is SO different from Civ5 that MUST use the new rendering backend ?

There is NOTHING in the gameplay of BE that is different from Civ5 with respect to the behavior of terrain. Can you explain what DX11 can do and DX9 can't that the gamplay of BE really NEEDS ?

Let's stop pulling excuses from our asses, these might work on your 'vanilla' gamer, but not on people like me.

Comment

Originally posted by Agross View Post
      I tried it on the IGPs of A10-6800K, A10-7580K and on an R9 290 (debian 7 x64, Catalyst 'Omega')

The game is ugly, the terrain texture is f***-up ... I can't understand why Civ5 works flawlesly and looks great, while CivBE, who's engine is an 'improved' version of Civ5's, can't even render terrain textures correctly.

How can you add features to an existing, working software, with the result of the 'improved' software failing at some basic stuff ? Do these people know what software engineering means ? Why can't BE, which is a glorified Civ5 Mod, render the same terrain that Civ5 renders fine ? Can't it 'fall back' on the previous rendering path, rendering backend, (you know, GoF desgin patterns and shit) ?

Same on the iGPs, but much more ugly artifacts.
      Thanks for the info, hm i tought they fixed it , post some screenshots if you can

Comment

Please, do explain, I'm a software engineer with 15 years of experience, including OpenGL.
        How can you add something on an existing, working piece of software that breaks it ? Why can't they use the older rendering backend on Linux. What part of BE's gameplay, or the terrain rendering is SO different from Civ5 that MUST use the new rendering backend ?

There is NOTHING in the gameplay of BE that is different from Civ5 with respect to the behavior of terrain. Can you explain what DX11 can do and DX9 can't that the gamplay of BE really NEEDS ?

Let's stop pulling excuses from our asses, these might work on your 'vanilla' gamer, but not on people like me.
        When people buy a game they want to have the same experience, including graphics on any OS. Do you really think anyone would buy this on Linux with a DX9 renderer when it is available on Windows with a DX11 renderer? You claim to be a developer, so I don't have to explain the benefits of DX10/11 over DX9 to you, so why even ask this question?
        Imagine the outcry from Linux gamers: We got an inferior version!!!!111!!!! We are treated as second class citizens111!!!!1!!!
        Now that is exactly what you are demanding, treating Linux people as second class and giving them an inferior renderer.

Comment

When people buy a game they want to have the same experience, including graphics on any OS. Do you really think anyone would buy this on Linux with a DX9 renderer when it is available on Windows with a DX11 renderer? You claim to be a developer, so I don't have to explain the benefits of DX10/11 over DX9 to you, so why even ask this question?
          Imagine the outcry from Linux gamers: We got an inferior version!!!!111!!!! We are treated as second class citizens111!!!!1!!!
          Now that is exactly what you are demanding, treating Linux people as second class and giving them an inferior renderer.
          From my understanding Linux (and Mac) users are getting an inferior version as certain graphics settings are not available. But that is what you get with a port.

Comment

Do you really expect a DX renderer for the linux version?
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Zapitron View Post
              Finally a followup to the ol' Loki SMACX?
              Sadly no.

It is a reskinned Civ 5.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                Do you really expect a DX renderer for the linux version?
                No, but an OpenGL renderer on par with the DX renderer of the Windows version.

Comment

civ5 had both dx9 and dx11 renderers. porters ported dx9 renderer because they are familliar with porting dx9. civbe dropped dx9 renderer. experienced software engineer should know word 'deprecation'. porters had to port dx11 renderer and it was their first experience with porting dx11. civbe on windows was not broken by addition. civbe on linux was not addition but replacement. stop crying
                  Last edited by pal666; 20 December 2014, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Yes, exactly.
                    How can you add something on an existing, working piece of software that breaks it ?
                    They didn't. It's a new engine.

Why can't they use the older rendering backend on Linux.
                    Because the windows developers dropped the old backend, and the whole game is written against the new one.

What part of BE's gameplay, or the terrain rendering is SO different from Civ5 that MUST use the new rendering backend ?

There's nothing. DX11 has a much improved API versus DX9, which is why no one wants to write DX9 engines if they have a choice. When Civ5 came out, they determined that there were enough older PCs that they had to provide one. They've obviously since determined that it's no longer necessary, so they just went with the modern API only, to avoid having to support 2 different engines.

DX11 is a clear win for developers, and they did make sure it worked on windows. So it's not surprising they went that direction.

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize how l33t you were. Feel free to ignore what everyone says and keep ranting.

Comment

Working...
                    X