No announcement yet.

Civilization: Beyond Earth Launches For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally installed the 32bit version of libtbb (that was the secret, this is not a 64bit app), and now I just get an undefined symbol in the tbb libraries. :\ Not real excited with this port so far.

/home/forge/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth/./CivBE: symbol lookup error: /home/forge/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth/./CivBE: undefined symbol: _ZN3tbb8internal12NFS_AllocateEjjPv

Comment

Originally posted by Forge View Post
      Finally installed the 32bit version of libtbb (that was the secret, this is not a 64bit app), and now I just get an undefined symbol in the tbb libraries. :\ Not real excited with this port so far.

/home/forge/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth/./CivBE: symbol lookup error: /home/forge/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth/./CivBE: undefined symbol: _ZN3tbb8internal12NFS_AllocateEjjPv
      You cannot run CivBE from command line. You must use Steam.

Comment

I wish they'd port Civ3 to GNU/Linux (or even better - Call to Power). I don't like the 3d ones.

Comment

Radeon OSS failure

Just tried to start the game a few minutes ago. I can say Debian Jessie with stock radeon OSS (radeonsi) driver can't start the game... According to dmesg, it crashed the card.

I'll try to update to mesa 10.4, or even git asap to re-try.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
            I wish they'd port Civ3 to GNU/Linux (or even better - Call to Power). I don't like the 3d ones.
            Civ3 should work with Wine. And there is a native Linux port for Call to Power:

Comment

Hopefully CivBE post will be *much* better than Civ5.

Currently, months after the release I've yet to get it running stable / with sound / with no graphic glitches / etc (Fedora 20, 21, x86_64, nVidia 780).
              On the other hand, non of the other Steam/Linux games I play (Valve games, Egosoft X3*, Serious Sam 3, Wargame*, Dead island) have any issues.

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Failure on modern Radeon i/dGPUs

I tried it on the IGPs of A10-6800K, A10-7580K and on an R9 290 (debian 7 x64, Catalyst 'Omega')

The game is ugly, the terrain texture is f***-up ... I can't understand why Civ5 works flawlesly and looks great, while CivBE, who's engine is an 'improved' version of Civ5's, can't even render terrain textures correctly.

How can you add features to an existing, working software, with the result of the 'improved' software failing at some basic stuff ? Do these people know what software engineering means ? Why can't BE, which is a glorified Civ5 Mod, render the same terrain that Civ5 renders fine ? Can't it 'fall back' on the previous rendering path, rendering backend, (you know, GoF desgin patterns and shit) ?

Same on the iGPs, but much more ugly artifacts.

Comment

Where I have to buy the game to support Aspyr? I want them to know that I bought the game just for linux

Comment

Originally posted by Agross View Post
                    I tried it on the IGPs of A10-6800K, A10-7580K and on an R9 290 (debian 7 x64, Catalyst 'Omega')

The game is ugly, the terrain texture is f***-up ... I can't understand why Civ5 works flawlesly and looks great, while CivBE, who's engine is an 'improved' version of Civ5's, can't even render terrain textures correctly.

How can you add features to an existing, working software, with the result of the 'improved' software failing at some basic stuff ? Do these people know what software engineering means ? Why can't BE, which is a glorified Civ5 Mod, render the same terrain that Civ5 renders fine ? Can't it 'fall back' on the previous rendering path, rendering backend, (you know, GoF desgin patterns and shit) ?

Same on the iGPs, but much more ugly artifacts.
                    Except that this is not the same engine when it comes to rendering, as thsi one doesn't support DX9 rendering. So no, it is not just a glorified plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by Tares View Post
                      Where I have to buy the game to support Aspyr? I want them to know that I bought the game just for linux
                      Buy it on Steam from your Linux machine and use it exclusively on Linux for the first week after buy, this way it will count as a purchase for the Linux version.

Comment

Working...
                      X