Signs Of Final Fantasy XIII-2 Potentially Being Ported To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boffo View Post
    For me the V was the worst. To simple story, it was a game design for the lovers of the gameplay and the job system. At that time the main development was the VI. The V was designed to be cheap to reuse the old IV engine. As gameplay the V was just grinding.
    Well, I would be one of those people that loved the job system

And, honestly, I didn't find it grindy at all. In fact I liked the fact that you actually had to level up your characters.

If you say that V is grindy, you definitely shouldn't play II. OH MY GOD THAT GAME TAKES FOREVER.

Comment

Originally posted by jagoly View Post
      Well, I would be one of those people that loved the job system

And, honestly, I didn't find it grindy at all. In fact I liked the fact that you actually had to level up your characters.

If you say that V is grindy, you definitely shouldn't play II. OH MY GOD THAT GAME TAKES FOREVER.
      Man, II is brutal. I dunno how I ever got through that game. The last bits are pretty killer.

I liked V's gameplay a lot - it really pushed the rather outdated paradigm of menu-based RPG combat to an interesting limit (Like earthbound pushed Dragon Quest-style combat to the limit). The story was rather bad but this was when actual writing in a game was something new (well, for consoles).

VI is glitchy as all hell but I thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay systems in there - it was a great sweet spot between the old, polished gameplay and the new budget and detail afforded to the later, angsty-er games.

Comment

2 wasn't that bad, I finished the GBA edition of it earlier this year, plus the new content. I never got far in the NES version of it though, that was the brutal one.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          2 wasn't that bad, I finished the GBA edition of it earlier this year, plus the new content. I never got far in the NES version of it though, that was the brutal one.
          The NES version had the attack the dead monster bug. That was bad!

Comment

Am actually looking forward for SQUARE to port games to Linux

This will make steam machines more and more couch oriented and less a need to get a normal console, when pc gaming is more than capable.

Comment

Anyway, The last SQUARE RPG games I remember playing were FF3 in the late 90s and Chrono Cross (emulated)

My Bro on the other hand played Chrono trigger, FF7 (pc) / 8 and 10 (ps2), He sold the ps2, so we still had FFX2 and FF13 unplayed lol (waiting for a good emulator or PC release)

So looking at the reviews on Steam they're still mostly positive and I think I will be able to get into this one, however not sure about my Bro...

Well we're both more busy than ever, so we'll probably be OK with it being quite Linear

Comment

Will this be the first Final Fantasy title ported to Linux?

I guess nobody remembers the hard effort that the guys over at the Qhimm forum are putting forth to continue working on the qgears engine for FF7. (and 8, Xenogears, etc)

Comment

Comment

A Final Fantasy on Linux? Wow, that's like saying Linux will have a real - true - AAA game for the first time. This is not happening unless Valve is somehow convincing them.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post

I guess nobody remembers the hard effort that the guys over at the Qhimm forum are putting forth to continue working on the qgears engine for FF7. (and 8, Xenogears, etc)

Naw son, Qhimm Mods are bomb - I remember. Since FF8 PC came out, many more mods have come for 8 with it. I'm not sure if that's because the 3D models are no longer flattened on the Z plane for the Playstation 1 GPU (PSX flattens 3D vectors to speed up calculations so a Direct X / OpenGL dump even on FF8 PC / FF7 PC was nearly useless to Modders as it was a flat 3D Object, also Square used many Image & 3D formats that they invented so Modding & Converting to formats supported by Blender and 3DSMax is actually really difficult.)

Qhimm Mods are the reason I still play <FF10 today. RIP Squaresoft, you were greatly loved.

Comment

Working...
                      X