Signs Of Final Fantasy XIII-2 Potentially Being Ported To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    And if you read through the comments in this topic, you'll realize that almost all of us are discussing Final Fantasy the series and its decline from being the JRPG posterboy to a generic game that is all graphics and action, and nothing about its speculated port to Linux.

Off-topic note: all my games on my Playstation (and i mean ALL) are JRPGs (with the original JP audio) with a few JP rhythm games and dating sims thrown in here and there.
    Not sure what you're talking about, I was talking about the Phoronix article, I didn't refer to the comments in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by drspinderwalf View Post
      The pre-VII die-hards will often say that VI (III in the U.S.) was the greatest. The pre-VI die-hards will often say that V was the greatest. IV was crippled when it shipped in the U.S. but fan translations have allowed the original experience.
      Most people haven't played all the FF's and just insta spit that 7 was the best. To me the SNES experience compared to say 8+ isn't the same. Ever since the controversial FF8 (I loved this game it's actually my fav) the series has been walking towards the uncanny valley for graphics. Is it a bad thing that they try to become more visually appealing with every iteration? Was 9 and 10 bad? 12? Different strokes for different folks I have enjoyed the fact that it's not the same game over and over (nothing like the SF series or gears of war type of new games). That said I think the SNES ones had to be more interesting given the fact you're running around with small sprite based characters. There was some crazy personalities in VI.

Comment

Final Fantasy XIII-2... I found Paradigm Shift to be damn annoying in FFXIII. And Crystium.. The game won't let me level up even further unless I progress with the plot.

Comment

Originally posted by jagoly View Post
          Am I the only one here that thought V was the best? Followed by VI.

I (or my younger brother) have 13 on the PS3, but I never got around to playing it.
          For me the V was the worst. To simple story, it was a game design for the lovers of the gameplay and the job system. At that time the main development was the VI. The V was designed to be cheap to reuse the old IV engine. As gameplay the V was just grinding.
          For the story the best for me were the VI, IX and X.
          For the gameplay was the XII, it was really challenging, but the story was mah.
          I bought the XIII on steam before knowing it would be 50GB of download. Now I can't play it because the Windows partition is too small (I mainly use it for Matlab & co). If it comes to linux then I will play it. I have some space on the Linux partition.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
            Most people haven't played all the FF's and just insta spit that 7 was the best. To me the SNES experience compared to say 8+ isn't the same. Ever since the controversial FF8 (I loved this game it's actually my fav) the series has been walking towards the uncanny valley for graphics. Is it a bad thing that they try to become more visually appealing with every iteration? Was 9 and 10 bad? 12? Different strokes for different folks I have enjoyed the fact that it's not the same game over and over (nothing like the SF series or gears of war type of new games). That said I think the SNES ones had to be more interesting given the fact you're running around with small sprite based characters. There was some crazy personalities in VI.
            Nobody said there was anything wrong with nice graphics.

What most people are complaining about is how SE has put graphics in #1 - #10 of their priority list and gameplay + story are fighting it out for priority #11. All the titles up to FFX / FF X-2 were expert storytellers in their own right like what JRPGs are supposed to be (with the exception of a FF1 and FF3); this is something that is totally missing in the newer games.

Comment

I have a hard time believing this to be true. Japanese devs are notoriously bad at PC ports, and FF13 was a prime example of why what with the resolution being locked at 720p at launch on Windows. And Square Enix isn't the most forward-thinking / trailblazing publisher about.

The more AAA games the better, but I'll believe this one when I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                They're porting a sequel and not the original story that drives the sequel...
                It doesn't matter. It is not like the story is coherent or makes any kind of sense, it is just a string of events that each on their own kind of makes sense, so playing it like this might actually make it better.

Comment

how about porting one of the ones that doesn't suck

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
                    So much hate on FF XIII yet people want more games on Linux, ungrateful people. Its all about choice the more the merrier.
                    I welcome more games. I also reserve the right to call terrible games by terrible game companies. These are badly-written games for teenage boys to watch, seeing as there's no gameplay involved anymore, just cutscenes.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                      how about porting one of the ones that doesn't suck

How about porting all Console and PC games to Linux (or at list OGL and Wine build-in), plus universal machinery code like LLVM-jit, plus humanely prices (less than 20 box for new), before we make emulators and take revenge with piracy and make their industry have no business at all like music industry.
                      Last edited by artivision; 16 December 2014, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X