Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metro Redux Games Launch For Linux

Phoronix: Metro Redux Games Launch For Linux

Metro 2033 Redux and Metro Last Light Redux have finally surfaced for Linux gamers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Additional Notes: Due to OpenGL 4, Intel video cards no longer supported
    Due to... what a joke, who cares Even Iris Pro 5200 is just half to those minimal requirements

Comment

I don't have got Redux but MLL worked with Haswell a bit slow but playable. It crashed more often than with Nvidia cards however. Haswell is as fast as lowend dedicated cards usually, maybe a tiny bit slower than gt630 kepler but with correct rendering for Killing Floor.

Comment

hmm, i think this is the first mainstream app to actually require GL4

I wonder what the exact requirements are. GL4.1 to work on OSX?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          I don't have got Redux but MLL worked with Haswell a bit slow but playable. It crashed more often than with Nvidia cards however. Haswell is as fast as lowend dedicated cards usually, maybe a tiny bit slower than gt630 kepler but with correct rendering for Killing Floor.
          For MLL minimal is:
          Linux: OpenGL 3.2 or better (GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB, GeForce GTS 250, etc)
          for Redux minimal is:
          Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce 460 / AMD 5850 with 2GB VRAM
          And OpenGL 4 of course, so requirement goes up... might not be true minimal, but that is what they listed as "minimal" for linux on steam.

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          I wonder what the exact requirements are. GL4.1 to work on OSX?
          Probably tesselation is only requirement, but 4 only so that game/driver do not crash if you try to enable it Joke aside i did not tried it yet
          Last edited by dungeon; 12 December 2014, 12:49 AM.

Comment

2 GB VRAM as minimal requirement? For real? I mean... Metro Redux really doesn't work on 1 GB VRAM GPU's?

Comment

I gave 2033 Redux a spin and while the game runs, the port is in pretty rough shape right now. The graphical options screen is one of the saddest things I've seen in a long time. Here is what the Linux graphical options screen looks like:

Quality, SSAA, Texture Filtering, Motion Blur, and Vsync. That's it. It doesn't even have options to change resolution! That is not acceptable, I've seen $2.99 mobile games with more robust graphical options.

As for how the game runs, on my machine with a Haswell Xeon (essentially i7) and 780Ti the game runs fine as long as I stick to Quality (whatever that catchall means) High or lower. On Very High I get graphical glitches. On High the game runs fine.

I'm going to set this aside for now, write up a bug report or two, and hope they fix this in the coming weeks so it's not a laughably piss poor port.

Comment

anybody know if this game has surround sound support on linux?

Comment

@sirdilznik

Thanks for that video settings screenshot... in Windows version there is tesselation option there so people can turn that off and play even on intel chips, but according to that linux screeny tesselation might be hardcoded as requirement of some sort... that somehow explain pretty much high minimal requirements they listed for linux version
                  Last edited by dungeon; 12 December 2014, 01:10 AM.

Comment

nice screenshot, was expecting more from that port. won't buy until they provide more complete support - resolution is a must but they should take inspiration from ss3

Comment

Working...
                    X